Go Back   CMP Forums > CMP General > Ask Each Other
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old Yesterday, 11:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Griff557 View Post
I don’t quite agree….two years later the local sporting goods shelves are still bare not just 9mm .22 rimfire or the evil black rifle 5.56 there are no 12 gauge trap loads or hunting loads no 30-06 or other common calibers. I haven’t seen large rifle primers or powder since I can’t remember when. The manufactures claim they are running at full capacity-one would think after this long the shelves and supply would catch up. I really believe there is something else going on this time
Griff:
I need to be honest I dislike these threads with a passion, yet I post in them, why.... I'm not really sure.
EVERY time there has been a shortage, these threads come up.
EVERY time the shortage ends and prices/Availability return.

Go to SGammo, etc etc..........they ALL have the ammunition you are looking for.
There are several threads here on this forum that list when and where powder and primers are available.
It's that simple.

For me...... I learned from the past 6 shortages and bought during the cheap days between them.

BTW..... last time I was in my LGS they were fully stocked of VV and IMR powders at normal prices.

Last edited by Gewehr43; Yesterday at 01:59 PM.
Old Yesterday, 02:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gewehr43 View Post
Griff:
I need to be honest I dislike these threads with a passion, yet I post in them, why.... I'm not really sure.
EVERY time there has been a shortage, these threads come up.
EVERY time the shortage ends and prices/Availability return.

Go to SGammo, etc etc..........they ALL have the ammunition you are looking for.
There are several threads here on this forum that list when and where powder and primers are available.
It's that simple.

For me...... I learned from the past 6 shortages and bought during the cheap days between them.

BTW..... last time I was in my LGS they were fully stocked of VV and IMR powders at normal prices.

Grandma used to say "the price never goes up on my shelf". I learned that one at an early age. Buy when you can and store it.
Old Yesterday, 04:18 PM

Still not buying it…these threads always have the guys with 100k primers and 100#’s of powder telling the rest of us the world is great. I get you should buy when you have the opportunity but I still think there’s more going on. Ya Midway has powder-limit of two pounds so that makes it $52 a pound after shipping and hazmat…far from “normal” prices. I don’t know where you guys are finding fully stock shelves and normal prices but it sure isn’t the places I’ve been watching.
Old Yesterday, 08:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Griff557 View Post
Still not buying it…these threads always have the guys with 100k primers and 100#’s of powder telling the rest of us the world is great. I get you should buy when you have the opportunity but I still think there’s more going on. Ya Midway has powder-limit of two pounds so that makes it $52 a pound after shipping and hazmat…far from “normal” prices. I don’t know where you guys are finding fully stock shelves and normal prices but it sure isn’t the places I’ve been watching.
I am sure it's different depending on where everyone lives. Some places probably get ammo and reloading components at different rates than others.

Here during 2021 you could find most everything in the beginning. Lots of ammo and components at "normal" prices. Once it got super crazy it slowly dried up and you had to learn to hit the stores on off hours. If you did that, you could find it.

Now all ammo is in stock. Powder is mostly there and primers are not hard to find. Yes prices are higher, but it's available.
Old Yesterday, 09:45 PM

The regular use powders like 4895, 4064, varget, 4830, retumbo, etc. have been non-existent in my area. Shotgun and pistol powders are somewhat available again for $30-$40 per pound. I haven't seen primers in a store since I last bought them over a year ago. That includes traveling to areas like Harrisburg, Wilkes-Barre, State College, New York, Ohio, Grices gun shop, etc. It's been very difficult to reload for a REASONABLE price around here unless you want to pay for shipping and hazmat from Midway, Brownells, etc.

Ammo prices haven't really changed either although inventory has STARTED to return. When I've seen PPU and other 30-06 FMJ type range ammo it's always been $2 a round. 5.56 is usually about .50 cents a round or more. I can't agree that ammo and reloading supplies are not hard to find, they are hard to find around my area. When they are around, expect to pay a premium. Glad they prices and inventory are retuning to normal in other areas though, that's a good sign!
Old Today, 03:31 AM

I don't go looking because I really don't need anything. The only place I can report on is Walmart in Decatur, AL. The only reason I was looking was for my grandson who needs 12 Ga. 3" steel loads.

I haven't seen anything on the shelves except a few 325 round bulk packs of Federal Auto Match for $18.65 + tax. Limit 3 boxes of ammo in any combination. Those Federals come out to 6.3 cents per round after tax. Not too bad considering.

They did have a few 100 round cases of 12 Ga. #8 field loads but I didn't notice the prices. No center-fire rifle or handgun ammo at all.

Nothing in the New Orleans, Covington and Baton Rouge, LA areas per my grandson.
Click Here For My Feedback

In honor of my father, Howard C. Ricks. Corporal, Co. E, 2nd Battalion, 20th Marine Engineers, 4th Marine Division. Later renamed Co. B, 4th Pioneer Battalion after Marianna Operation. Service dates February 1943 to October 31, 1945, Combat action: Roi-Namur, Saipan, Tinian and Iwo Jima. His rifle SA 893999 met "Captain Crunch".
http://wwiimemorial.com/Registry/pla...oreeID=1841138

Last edited by sigman2; Today at 03:33 AM.