Go Back   CMP Forums > CMP Competitions > CMP Rules
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 11-11-2021, 02:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GarandThumb21 View Post
I am at 7 lbs 9.7 oz with my Windham govt profile A4 upper and my RRA lower, according to my digital postal scale. I have a RRA chrome BCG. The RRA lower has the standard A2 stock and grip. Without more extreme measures such as swapping out the buffer tube etc, I could acquire a lighter BCG, or possibly remove the nuts on my A4 carrying handle in order to make weight. Any practical experience with the latter?
I started with an A2 iron sight rifle, standard handguards, that was fully in compliance with MM rules. Rules changed to allow scopes, so with some work I was able to make the new weight with the scope. Age & eyes made using the scope a no-brainer.

The latest rules change, allowing free-float but dropping the weight to 7.5 was challenging to meet with my current set up and a lightweight free float tube. One of the simplest things I did was remove those huge steel knobs from the carry handle and replace them with small nylock nuts. the bolt ends stuck out, but I covered those with the little vinyl protectors one can find at the hardware store. This has passed muster at several CMP games events and Perry as well. Guess I could have saved more weight with a lighter BCG, but that costs just a little more than a couple nylocks. ;-)
Old 12-15-2021, 09:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by martindc1 View Post
I just re-read the rules, on p. 47, under 5.2.3, c) it says “Rifles must be equipped with issue-type metallic front and rear sights…” My red-faced-test interpretation is no hooded aperture the more I think about it.
The phrase "issue-type metallic....." is not specific enough to mean no hood--maybe.... Seeing a pic of a short barrel and standard handguard on a supposedly (MM) legal rifle is confusing, but that is the situation today. Might mention another issue. At inspection, an AR is presented, but the matches it will be used in are not mentioned. I have seen (not recently) a NM rifle that "passed inspection" (maybe for the EIC match) then used in the MM match without being flagged. With the regional games now including many service rifle matches, this sort of thing can easily lead to confusion. Good Shooting. ....
Old 12-15-2021, 10:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ceresco View Post
The phrase "issue-type metallic....." is not specific enough to mean no hood--maybe.... Seeing a pic of a short barrel and standard handguard on a supposedly (MM) legal rifle is confusing, but that is the situation today. Might mention another issue. At inspection, an AR is presented, but the matches it will be used in are not mentioned. I have seen (not recently) a NM rifle that "passed inspection" (maybe for the EIC match) then used in the MM match without being flagged. With the regional games now including many service rifle matches, this sort of thing can easily lead to confusion. Good Shooting. ....
When I get my MM inspected they mark on the MM scorecard the last 4 digits of the SN. Our full blown SR's can be shot in UNlimited MM but not regular MM. BUT....I know of a few times that tricked out SR's were shot in the regular MM match. It was a mistake at the inspection table but the shooter felt like it was ok because the inspector made the mistake. Knowingly doing this is akin to cheating. I lost a lot of respect for that guy that day. I still outshot him (and won the match) with my iron sighted 16" MM. Hardest part for me was to get below the 7.5# max.

I made it clear to him that his decision showed me that his integrity was only worth the price of a 1.50 medal. Pitiful....

OK....I'm off the soapbox.

Keith
Distinguished Rifleman Badge #2287
Presidents Hundred (Top 20 Shootoff)
NRA XTC Service Rifle- High Master
NRA Midrange - High Master
CMP XTC Service Rifle - Master
CMP Master Instructor
Almost Perfect Attendance in the 3rd grade