Go Back   CMP Forums > CMP Competitions > National Matches - Camp Perry
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 08-18-2021, 01:19 PM

I’ve “survived” on free breakfast and apples at my country inn and free Rock River Arms natural casing hot dogs, snacks and drinks at the PX, free popcorn and iced tea at Springfield armory, cheap treats at Foodland,and even a huge ice cream cone at that place outside of port Clinton once in a while. I never worry about losing weight at Perry or taking a huge hit on my wallet. Ive never missed the mess hall at Perry and I wasn’t exactly overwhelmed by the food at the BBQ truck that has been there over the years. I guess I’ve adapted better than some
Old 08-18-2021, 01:31 PM

Was Chef's Best the mess hall vendor between '09-'12 or so?
Distinguished Rifleman #2223
"Technique isn't something that can be taught. It's something you find on your own." - Bunta Fujiwara
Old 08-18-2021, 08:24 PM

Hello Christine,

I would think that most shooters know well in advance "IF" they are coming to Camp Perry.
"IF" the local food venders had a paid in advance plan, from the shooters.
What are the chances the vendors might be more receptive, to at least drop off the food with a LIMITED menu. My first thought is two meals breakfast & lunch, with choice of two or three meals.
Would the Guard or the CMP be able to open a building for a place for the shooters to eat? I'm sure we all understand the many issues involved.

I thank you & your Programs Chief for explaining the pitfalls of a renewed Shooters mess.

broomhandle

Last edited by broomhandle; 08-19-2021 at 09:14 PM.
Old 08-18-2021, 08:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TSimonetti View Post
I’ve “survived” on free breakfast and apples at my country inn and free Rock River Arms natural casing hot dogs, snacks and drinks at the PX, free popcorn and iced tea at Springfield armory, cheap treats at Foodland,and even a huge ice cream cone at that place outside of port Clinton once in a while. I never worry about losing weight at Perry or taking a huge hit on my wallet. Ive never missed the mess hall at Perry and I wasn’t exactly overwhelmed by the food at the BBQ truck that has been there over the years. I guess I’ve adapted better than some

Match day breakfasts for me involved an iced coffee and a protein bar. Anything else was a waste of time better spent sleeping or getting to your FP for roll call without having to rush. Now, the real mess hall that was destroyed by a tornado was different than the "mess hall" of recent memory....
Old 02-07-2022, 02:49 PM

The last time they had a "shooters mess" is was garbage cooked by a bunch of yahoos who had spray painted their clothes white to look like kitchen whites.

They cannot guarantee numbers of customers because the food is poor quality and it is extremely poorly advertised. People go once, pay for basically prison food, leave hungry and disappointed and never return.

If it was advertised, they ran breakfast from 0530-0830, lunch from 1030-1330 and dinner from 1630-1930 then you could cover people coming on and off the lines as well as people who are their for the day to visit commercial row or shoot a SAFS.

As far as signage, something more than a sheet of notebook paper on a power pole might be an idea. Since they always seem to find an obscure building with no parking to hide it in. Signs on commercial row, off the main roads and at either end of the street the hidden building is on would work.

In terms of food quality, based on my last experience I believe they should require them to fix a plate at every meal and try and feed it to a dog. If the dog refuses or vomits, they should not serve it to people.
Old 02-08-2022, 12:35 AM

I appreciate the effort that various vendors made over the years. It can't be be easy to run a profitable operation there. The quality varied but it was certainly convenient to eat on the base and hit the sack early after a full day on the ranges. I never dumped my food over on my tray at the dorm either. Good Shooting. ....
Old 02-18-2022, 10:57 AM

This thread might be constructive...

In our Capitalist system (which I like), for something to "get done", people have to make a profit doing it. Or it just won't happen.

I hope a local vendor figures this "opportunity" out, and MAKES BANK! If they do, NO WHINING about high prices.

About Twisted Sister food trailer: I was at the 2021 NM for 6 days total. I saw intermittent hours, and only one women working there. And, yes, long lines.

When it was my turn, (I was the last one in line. I didn't want to delay others), I said "You sure seem busy!"
She vented: She can't get reliable help. She works 8 hours at her "day job", then comes to Perry. Running on 3 to 4 hours of sleep a night. And more...
I left a large tip.

Here's what works for me:

I stay in the barracks. I bring a cooler with hard boiled eggs, milk, sports drink, other food. Dry food, including cereal. A small coffee maker for hot water (for hot oatmeal) and coffee. That's breakfast.

Lunch is dry snacks/MRE leftover packets and sports drink. I'm in the Pit's, and far from the food trucks anyway.

I go off post for dinner.

See you on the firing line.

"A strong body makes the mind strong. As to the species of exercises, I advise the gun... Let your gun, therefore, be the constant companion of your walks." Thomas Jefferson to Peter Carr, 1785.

Read "War is a Racket" by MG Smedly Butler, USMC. He knew war and was awarded the Medal of Honor twice. You can find it online.

Last edited by rubicon762; 02-18-2022 at 11:08 AM.