Go Back   CMP Forums > CMP Competitions > Garand, Springfield, Military Rifle and Rimfire Matches
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 01-01-2022, 09:12 PM

Default What are the schedule conflicts at Western Games

The registration is very confusing. I've not done one before and so have absolutely no idea what different things I can sign up for on the same days. Other than selecting relay times for GSMM, I don't know what times the other matches are on their days.

I can't select the 0730 Sat GSMM if I don't know what time the M16 EIC is, for example. And I don't know what matches might be impossible to sign up for without causing a conflict.

What am I missing? Thank you for any help you can provide from being there before and seeing how they actually do it.
Old 01-01-2022, 09:31 PM

https://docs.google.com/document/d/1...J7wNtjVC4/edit

I usually put a match schedule up on one computer screen while registering on the other. If you don't already have it, the above link should at least give you an idea of where obvious conflicts occur. I'm not up to speed on match timing with electronic targets, but there may be a possibility to do relay 1-2 in one match and still make roll call for relay 5-6 on another match.
Old 01-01-2022, 09:34 PM

Thank you! I'll peruse that next. I was just looking at the Registration page and didn't yet look for another place they might have put an actual schedule.
Old 01-02-2022, 02:30 PM

OP:
I look at the schedule that TLB posted.......... I use that format to figure out the matches I will shoot.

IMHO, and FWIW, when I've shot the Games matches, they split them morning and afternoon.
So that if you are interested in 2 matches but both are in the morning or afternoon, you probably won't make it.

So you mentioned the Saturdays GSSM and the M16 match ....... both start in the morning and the M16 is "TBD" (To be determined)......... I'd suspect you need to pick one or the other.

Last edited by Gewehr43; 01-02-2022 at 02:33 PM.
Old 01-03-2022, 12:37 AM

For some reason, I had seen the registration page first with all the match descriptions, and didn't even think to look for another page that had the times. Using the schedule in the link, I was able to determine what matches I could not do, and get registered for the ones I could. I want to do the M16 EIC so I picked GSMM matches on other days. Thank you!

The schedule makes it appear that you can do back-to-back relays in GSMM. I don't see why not. You just stay there and keep shooting if they do it right. It let me do it and took my money. I guess we'll see.

I had to actually email and make campsite reservations just to find out what it would cost. Nothing I saw on their website from Ben Avery's link to them (BASF) had prices. Now that I received the reservation confirmation (and the prices) I can decide if they are worth it (probably not.)
Old 01-03-2022, 05:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MAC702 View Post
For some reason, I had seen the registration page first with all the match descriptions, and didn't even think to look for another page that had the times. Using the schedule in the link, I was able to determine what matches I could not do, and get registered for the ones I could. I want to do the M16 EIC so I picked GSMM matches on other days. Thank you!

The schedule makes it appear that you can do back-to-back relays in GSMM. I don't see why not. You just stay there and keep shooting if they do it right. It let me do it and took my money. I guess we'll see.

I had to actually email and make campsite reservations just to find out what it would cost. Nothing I saw on their website from Ben Avery's link to them (BASF) had prices. Now that I received the reservation confirmation (and the prices) I can decide if they are worth it (probably not.)
Yes you can shoot back to back GSMM relays, up to the four per day they offer (four matches, eight relays). The electronics make it quick with no pit changes and if you don't stay on the same firing point, you'll probably be in the general vicinity. Typically with these matches they will pre-squad you. We'll get squadding in an excel spreadsheet link a few days ahead of the match, and your FP may be on your stickers too.
Old 01-06-2022, 12:57 PM
GSM Master Instructor

Hello Mac (I presume it's the Mac I know from the 29 Palms matches?)
Regards camping, go to https://www.azgfd.com/shooting/basf/camping/ for detailed pricing.
Call Ben Avery at 623.582.8313 and ask for Tyler. He is very knowledgeable, kind, and patient and will assist you in your camping needs.
I recommend the shooter's campground east as that is right across the street from the buildings the CMP uses and trigger weighing areas and where the BBQ's are held.
Here is a map of shooter's campground east: https://s3.amazonaws.com/azgfd-porta...Map%202015.pdf
If you need assistance signing up please call me and I can advise/guide you if desired.
Semper Fi,
Jeff

Distinguished Rifleman 2383
CMP RSO II

Last edited by jarheadteacher; 01-06-2022 at 12:58 PM. Reason: added c/g map
Old 01-07-2022, 08:07 PM

Thank you, Jeff! Yep, same Mac. See you there!
Old 01-10-2022, 01:16 AM

We were thinking of going to Perry for the first time but the western games is half the drive. Does this match fill up fast? Is there requirements for first time juniors? My kid is an expert, just never been to bigger than state matches or SAFS.

It looked like a good place to break into larger than local matches and get stronger wind experience. We would like to shoot most the rifle matches but two days of down time with pistol in the middle may lead us to just hit XTC and EIC to cut on accommodation cost.

Last edited by Bml; 01-10-2022 at 01:24 AM.
Old 01-13-2022, 12:00 PM
GSM Master Instructor

Hello Bml,
I was waiting for someone else to speak up and I feel bad no one has said anything, so I will try.
Does it fill up fast? I do not know, but, if you call up CMP at 419.635.2141 and go through the menu and go to "competitions" you will get an answer straight from the horse's mouth.
Having attended the Western Games for many years I can share I have never been locked out of an event due to it being full. Sign up in advance and have your places reserved!
How old is your son? I am aware of no requirements for a junior.
You can request, and CMP will squad your son with you so you can be with him and shoot with him and help him.
The phone number will get you a crystal clear answer though.
You should come; I believe you two will love it.
Then, after the WG's, go to Perry ! NOTHING like Camp Perry, it is the Valhalla of shooting!!!
Hope you two can make it and while at the WG's or prior if you need any help or assistance, feel free to contact me.
I will be there before it starts until after it ends!

Distinguished Rifleman 2383
CMP RSO II