Go Back   CMP Forums > CMP Competitions > Garand, Springfield, Military Rifle and Rimfire Matches
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 03-07-2022, 04:07 PM

Default New England Games

I am planning on attending the New England Games this fall. I haven't shot a match in 5 yrs. and the "itch" is back. Is there anything special I need to know. I have shot reduced course (200 yard) matches with my garands and AR. I have the necessities( scope/stand/jacket/mat/glove). I have never shot there and I see they have barracks available. Does anyone know if there is a campground nearby that could accommodate a small travel trailer.
Old 03-07-2022, 05:03 PM

You will be shooting on the electronic targets. The barracks are fine. Nearest town is a ways away and I don't know about campgrounds. Might be the best games venue...definitely go. Good Shooting. ...
Old 03-07-2022, 05:52 PM

VT in September is beautiful and picturesque. The weather has always been fantastic. I believe there are a few that have camped out on base. Hopefully, they will chime in and give you the skinny !
Old 03-07-2022, 06:58 PM

Thanks for the replies. I am excited to go. Have never attended a CMP match. Have a trailer up in Adirondacks ,about 100 miles away, thought it would be easy to bring. I am good with barracks, when do they usually start booking them ? With electronic scoring do you even need a scope ?

Last edited by Trenton1776; 03-07-2022 at 07:00 PM. Reason: spelling
Old 03-11-2022, 05:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trenton1776 View Post
Thanks for the replies. I am excited to go. Have never attended a CMP match. Have a trailer up in Adirondacks ,about 100 miles away, thought it would be easy to bring. I am good with barracks, when do they usually start booking them ? With electronic scoring do you even need a scope ?
I have attended every year since the first- it is definitely a great experience and you will be spoiled by the electronic targets. I stayed in the barracks once- they are AOK and quite nice as far as barracks go. Other than that time, I always tent camped up the hill from the barracks, by the chapel. Unfortunately I was unable to do so last year because nobody answered my question about camping, despite several attempts to both the CMP and local club. I found out that the usual spot for camping was not available because they were building the new Mountain Warfare School. It looks awesome, by the way. No clue about camping in the future- I stayed in a hotel last September.

No need for a scope unless you are shooting from 600 yards and want to read mirage.

It can get nippy and sometimes below freezing at night, so if you do camp you will want to be prepared for that.