Go Back   CMP Forums > CMP Competitions > Garand, Springfield, Military Rifle and Rimfire Matches
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 02-02-2022, 04:48 PM

Default Feeler Thread for a Vintage Sniper Match in the PNW

According to the CMP competition tracker the only two locations for Vintage Sniper Matches in the west are Burbank CA and Byers Co. I'm curious how much interest there would be for such a match in Spokane, WA? We have a full 600 yard venue and electronic targets. Dry camping on the range, full service camping at an adjacent state park, and plenty of hotels that are within 30 minutes of the range. Dates are unknown as this is to simply gauge interest.

I'd likely combine the match with a CMP EIC service rifle match to facilitate crossover participation in both events and make a fun day of match shooting. Hopefully I get some feedback here. Thanks!
Old 02-03-2022, 05:24 PM

Good luck, hopefully you get some interest. I thought the same thing, surprised there weren’t more vintage sniper matches in the west and this would be a unique opportunity..

I’m trying to get CMP matches established in Las Vegas and have not had the interest that I hoped. I held a vintage sniper match back in October with a very disappointing turnout. My initial thought was that this is a very fun and relatively quick match that doesn’t require that difficult standing position so more people would willing to come out and try a new discipline.
Since there is a substantial vintage shooting group in the area with a number of vintage sniper owners I thought this is a no brainer. I advertise on local shooting forums, attended matches and made announcements with some initial interest but no firm commitment. I’m still working on building CMP match program and haven’t given up yet.
Old 02-03-2022, 10:10 PM

I was always baffled by the lack of interest in the Las Vegas area. With the number of retired militany and the large population, it seems that some potential for CMP type events would exist. They built a modern range some years ago, but it seems that it is mostly used by the typical urban shooters. Good luck getting anything going. I used to look at the Nevada section of this forum and don't recall much there. Good Shooting. ....
Old 02-04-2022, 06:12 AM

I'm always amazed at the number of vintage rifle owners, versus vintage rifle shooters (and by that, I mean something other than benchrest shooting at 100 yards). for me, there's no point if you don't shoot them. Maybe general ammo shortage limited your participation.
Old 02-04-2022, 08:23 AM

Allen
It would be worth the 4 hour drive to support it
Quite exciting just thinking about it. 😊
33+ transactions, 100% Positive Itrader rating. My feedback: http://forums.thecmp.org/showthread....ght=apprentice
My precious:
http://www.bavarianm1carbines.com/ca...GN_spell2.html
Old 02-04-2022, 11:52 AM

Thanks to those of you who responded, I appreciate your comments. Looks like this is a bit of a dead end based on the feedback. I'm a little surprised that with the number of reproduction scope and rifle combinations available, more people are not interested in moving off the 100yd line.
Old 02-04-2022, 03:38 PM

Unfortunately, around here there has been a steady decline in pure marksmanship shooting sports like silhouettes, bullseye pistol and high power. While action shooting sports have become more popular. We have a safe full of Garands and $0.50 a round Greek ammo for people to use and there is no takers.

At the very small vintage matches I attend, there is only 2-3 guys that have snipers they shoot. That is across 5000 Gun club members. I am sure there is more sniper rifles owned by members, but they donít use them.
Old 02-04-2022, 10:13 PM

If you don't think the traditional CMP Vintage Sniper would work, try the Vintage Sniper Steel. Check my video out https://youtu.be/KrpUfNQJDSc and hit me up if you have any questions.
Tony
Old 02-05-2022, 01:01 AM

I opened up the match to modern “sniper” rifles or F-class type rifles that would not be included in the CMP results, more of a bragging rights category. I had people express interested but unfortunately no one showed up. I had 4 people show up to the match for 2 teams. Two of the guys borrowed rifles that I brought, they had such a good time, both of them went out and bought their own rifles. The 4 guys that showed up thought it was one of the funnest matches they had ever shot.

I always think big and have high expectations but I realize not everyone is as enthusiastic as I am about CMP matches. Even if you have a small turn out the first match, keep trying, word will get out.
Old 02-05-2022, 05:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jlacy View Post
If you don't think the traditional CMP Vintage Sniper would work, try the Vintage Sniper Steel. Check my video out https://youtu.be/KrpUfNQJDSc and hit me up if you have any questions.
Tony
absolute blast of a match!