Go Back   CMP Forums > CMP Sales > CMP 1911
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 01-12-2022, 06:42 PM

Default Round 2 ~ Remington Rand ~ Rack Grade

CMP Round 2 Remington Rand M1911A1, Serial #2196234. From what I could determine online, it was manufactured in 1945 with a total production run of 110,400 units and shipped to the Arsenal at Springfield, Massachusetts. The appearance and uniform wear of all the components, gives the impression that they could be oem parts. If thatís true, then Iím not sure why it required an arsenal rebuild in 1973, unless it may have just needed a slide-to-frame tightening, which appears very likely.

I wouldíve probably selected a Field or Service grade, but my decision was easy as I was only offered a Rack grade when I received the call on 21DEC21 (RGN: 27545). The finish is just about gone, so the pistol is a little rusty and rough, just like me, a rack grade. No tellin where itís been, but itís been around and seen some use, the checkering on the MSH, trigger, and thumb safety, are all worn pretty smooth, lots of wear on the disco too. Perhaps those are original components that werenít replaced during its visit to Anniston.

Slide, frame, barrel, trigger, grips, hammer and maybe the thumb safety all look correct. The MSH looks to be an earlier part, but Iím uncertain about the barrel bushing and slide stop. The trigger has the right amount of pre-travel, with just a hint of creep, but even though it measured 6# 12oz, it had a clean break and felt ideal for a service pistol. All the small parts are impressively machined and mated.

The pistol was remarkably clean and lightly oiled. Immediately after receiving it at the gun shop, I placed a couple more drops of oil in the critical areas and ran a box of 50 Federal American Eagle 230 grain ball ammo through it. No stoppages, ran like an old top dog war horse with the supplied magazine, a repro lanyard loop mag, and a Wilson Combat ETM mag. The ammo box does a great job hiding some of my off target shots.

Although the slide/frame fitis tighter than what I expected and therefore robs me of that euphoric rattle feeling from firing my first USN Colt 1911 in 1979, Iím super pleased to own this beat up veteran sidearm just the way it is, and thatís just the way I intend to keep it. I have allot in common with this pistol:
-We both served in the military
-We both have a little rust and allot of dents
-We are both rack grades
-Both of our sights are poor and we both shoot a little left
-We both like hot ultrasonic oil baths after a range day

Detail stripped and cleaned, should be good to go for another 77 years.
Old 01-12-2022, 06:43 PM

Default Additional Pics

Old 01-12-2022, 08:20 PM

Love this one! Super salty!!!!!!!!!!!!
Old 01-12-2022, 08:35 PM

Not sure why that’s a rack grade!! Very nice…enjoy!!
Old 01-12-2022, 08:49 PM

Awesome pistol. Awesome pictures. Awesome review.
Old 01-12-2022, 08:49 PM

Sweet
Old 01-12-2022, 09:07 PM

Rack?

You did good! Congrats!
Old 01-12-2022, 09:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by T38Carbine View Post
Not sure why thatís a rack grade!!
Itís appropriately categorized as a rack grade, because itís kinda crude, the finish is nearly gone, and it has quite a few rust spots/dots.

I wouldíve definitely designated it as a rack grade if I were the one tagging it. But I whole heartedly embrace it for what it is ó a glorious veteran sidearm that can still get the job done after 77 years.

I think allot of folks have high expectations for a pristine, numbers matching pistol, I mean what 1911 enthusiasts wouldnít love that? But I think allot of folks who get the most upset when theyíre not presented with a unicorn, are those who intend to maximize their investment on the open market.

For all others who cherish these historic firearms for what they represent, should fully embrace their treasure; whether the finish is gone, riddled with dents, scratches, or rust or has mixed components. Because itís a genuine snapshot in time that only happens once.
Old 01-12-2022, 10:03 PM

Looks like a great rack grade, congrats. I'm thinking that's rack # 16 on the slide?
Old 01-13-2022, 02:17 AM

If I could hand pick mine, that's the one I would take. Congrats!

Last edited by 6.5x68; 01-13-2022 at 11:50 AM.