Go Back   CMP Forums > CMP Sales > M1 Carbine
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 01-15-2022, 05:51 PM

Default M1 Carbine Shoots High

Greetings!

I have read many accounts of the carbine front sight being filed down during the war era but I have a carbine that, at least visually, does not appear to have been filed down but still shoots several inches high at 100. **You know how you can push the rear sight all the way down/forward, past the last indent for 100 yards? **If I could get the rear sight to stay there I'd be good for a 6 o"clock hold on the standard NRA/CMP target. **Anyone else run in to this, and if so, did you find any good semi-permanent way to wedge/hold the rear sight? **If that makes sense. **
Old 01-15-2022, 05:59 PM

Hit the top of the sight post with a file to clean it off , shinny metal, and put a little JB weld on it. File down when hard. Spray with flat black paint. If it does not work buy a new front sight.
Old 01-16-2022, 06:12 AM

If the sight has not been filed (or maybe even if it has) and you canít pull the group down with a rear sight adjustment, consider a bent barrel.
Old 01-16-2022, 07:51 AM

Brandon,
My carbine did the same thing in the beginning. I have a milled adjustable rear sight and it would stay in place if pushed all the way down past the 100yd. indent. That was when I had it in a Boyd after market stock. When I put it into a GI stock it went the other way. I suppose if you used a toothpick or a small wood shaving you could use it to wedge the rear sight in place. Good luck, Eddie