Go Back   CMP Forums > CMP Sales > M1 Carbine
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 01-04-2022, 04:31 PM

Send a message via AIM to jbassmaster18
Default Gunshop IBM Find!

Ok so I have not bought a rifle in years. However a local gunshop posted this on their Facebook page. It was posted as a “bring back” M1Carbine. Only one picture posted, but it was enough for me to see it had high wood, and what appeared to be a cartouche and an I -cut oiler. So I went to the shop after work. He handed me the carbine and I immediately got that “feel” that I was holding something special. 3.7mill IBM. 10-43 IBM barrel with light surface pitting. Blued AOB flat bolt, type I barrel band swivel marked KV-B. No signs of a type three or two having ever been on the rifle. Highwood I-cut stock with crossed cannons, marked RMC B in the sling well. Push button safety, slide marked AOB, handguard marked RMC, hammer marked GM B, trigger housing marked BE-B. Type three sight but no rebuild marks that I can see. I am a carbine novice but I just had a feeling about this one so I bought it. Asking price? $1,200. That seemed too low like ten year ago prices. Bring back?? No idea. But it’s got a good chance. Filthy as hell, dust covered bolt face and chamber is also full of dust. The whole rifle just has “the look” the front sight ears have been cut off. Was that a thing done in WW2??? Really curious peoples opinions on this one. Is it all “correct” ?? I hate using that word. Just as much as “bring back”

https://postimg.cc/gallery/2ngLCPm

Last edited by jbassmaster18; 01-04-2022 at 04:39 PM.
Old 01-04-2022, 04:39 PM

Default ibm

The last carbine that I sold[sellers regret in spades], was a Quality Hardware that was as issued. The front sight ears were missing just like you describe. I suspected that when doing quick sighting, it was easy to focus on one of the ears instead of the front sight.
Old 01-04-2022, 04:47 PM

Sounds like a great score. Congrats and enjoy!
Old 01-04-2022, 04:50 PM

I is my belief most cut off ears were done in Korea, 'cause them Commies attacked at night.
Old 01-04-2022, 04:50 PM

Send a message via AIM to jbassmaster18

Are the pictures in the link I posted not showing up?
Old 01-04-2022, 04:52 PM

Very cool. I seem to have read somewhere that the front sight mod was common also filed a V in the rear sight for faster sight on target. I think you got a smoking deal on that one.
Old 01-04-2022, 04:58 PM

I have never heard of this taking off of sight ears and consider it a myth. If it was ever done on active duty , it was a one of the kind modification done by a service member in a war zone. That kind of thing would never happen in any other scenario. I don't consider this a custom done by soldiers by and large.

I find it laughable ...have any of you actually tried to shoot a weapon at night with military sights ? Well, you can't see that front sight much less need a V cut in the rear aperture.

Bravo Sierra on all in this thread.
Old 01-04-2022, 05:15 PM

I’m a 1941 Johnson collector (novice grade) and my understanding is that the rear sight on that gun was often / occasionally cut into a V in theater. I find that part believable as the Johnson peep sight is a really a tiny hole.

No clue on the wings, I find that less convincing but not impossible. I imagine the armory officer being unhappy about it.

But I would be happy with that gun at that price.

Quote:
Originally Posted by milprileb View Post
I have never heard of this taking off of sight ears and consider it a myth. If it was ever done on active duty , it was a one of the kind modification done by a service member in a war zone. That kind of thing would never happen in any other scenario. I don't consider this a custom done by soldiers by and large.

I find it laughable ...have any of you actually tried to shoot a weapon at night with military sights ? Well, you can't see that front sight much less need a V cut in the rear aperture.

Bravo Sierra on all in this thread.

My feedback thread
Old 01-04-2022, 06:14 PM

Looks like a great score from what I see. Probably original but for the adjustable sight. Does the receiver dovetail only contain the chisel type flip sight staking?
Looks like the chamber could use some attention!
Old 01-04-2022, 06:19 PM

[QUOTE=milprileb;2104528] If it was ever done on active duty , it was a one of the kind modification done by a service member in a war zone.
Agree with this.

I find it laughable ...have any of you actually tried to shoot a weapon at night with military sights ?
Yes