Go Back   CMP Forums > CMP Sales > M1 Carbine
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 01-31-2020, 07:43 AM

I heard a story where after a vet had passed away his widow asked a friend to go thru his stuff in the attic. He found two M1A1 Thompsons the vet had shipped back from germany!
Old 01-31-2020, 09:04 AM

I do know an old fella that had a good friend pass. His friends Wife asked him if he wanted his Firearms. The old fella always came to the sandpit where we shoot our Registered full autos. He seen us shooting them one day and mentioned he had a old Gun from his friends Wife and knew nothing about it.Said he would bring it over.. Sure enough he showed up with a Grease Gun,LOL

Only speculation, but that probably came home by illegal means. I am guessing he still has it. He did not seem to worried about its legality or never understood the consequences after our explanation. Probably figured if we can have a Machine Gun, then he can too.

Last edited by carbineone; 01-31-2020 at 09:07 AM.
Old 02-07-2020, 12:26 PM

So? Why do normally sane gun people go batty, and demonize full auto weapons? Have you swallowed the koolaid that much? Remember the last sentence, "shall not be infringed"?

Quote:
Originally Posted by luigi View Post
I heard a story where after a vet had passed away his widow asked a friend to go thru his stuff in the attic. He found two M1A1 Thompsons the vet had shipped back from germany!
Old 02-07-2020, 05:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by milwaukeeshaker View Post
So? Why do normally sane gun people go batty, and demonize full auto weapons? Have you swallowed the koolaid that much? Remember the last sentence, "shall not be infringed"?
The fact was the widow or the friend did not have a Class 3 firearms license and neither wanted to go to jail.
Old 02-08-2020, 09:49 AM

There is this notion of absolute control of weapons , every weapon maintained its "as issued" parts and any rebuild program did rebuild of every carbine (or Garand) in the inventory. Now turn on the lights and look at the scale of where our forces were at the end of WWII, millions of men under arms being demob'd, forces vacating foreign locations as fast as they could, supply dumps, arms in warehouses all over the globe.

Carbine collectors have a choice: If the carbine found is a mixmaster, its most likely post WWII era and be good with that. If its got AA or other rebuild marks on it , then you know what you have.

If a carbine has all same maker parts, it could be original or made that way by a collector post WWII and many of you have done that.

I'd suggest: be happy with your carbine as it is...its representative of carbine history and stop chasing this "correct" notion. The world in 1945 was get home and turn the lights out where ever you were stationed. This lent itself to chaos of records and lots of loose ends.

Closing: Some of you go bonkers over a Bavarian carbine but are the same crew who tore off FAT marked stocks on Italian returns to CMP a few years ago to make those carbines WWII "correct". Its laughable ...ignore some history (Italian service) and go ape about Bavarian service. Then to make matters more humorous...the almost universal disdain of Blue Sky Imports out of Korea...we did use carbines in Korea and those left there with ROK's came home by Blue Sky! yet decades later Blue Sky markings are a stigma you guys dislike but come a discussion of ROK carbines being procured by CMP , you go ape again wanting one.

Be happy with what you have. Stop being unhappy chasing perfection in Carbines: best advice to chew on.
Old 02-08-2020, 12:05 PM

Not to mention some of those Italian returns also had a FAT stamp in the top of the barrel where it joins the receiver, but there is no big devaluation of the carbine for that import mark. One of the dumbest things about carbine collectors.
Old 02-08-2020, 12:07 PM

Yeah, I know the "law". Nevermind.
Quote:
Originally Posted by luigi View Post
The fact was the widow or the friend did not have a Class 3 firearms license and neither wanted to go to jail.
Old 02-09-2020, 09:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by milwaukeeshaker View Post
Not to mention some of those Italian returns also had a FAT stamp in the top of the barrel where it joins the receiver, but there is no big devaluation of the carbine for that import mark. One of the dumbest things about carbine collectors.
There was a time not so long ago that a Greek return was sneered at by CMP /DCM collector crowd. So will be the Philippine returns. On the other hands if its Dane origin its great and Bavarian...well that just is like creme in the eclair goodness. FAT markings : scorned like Blue Sky but that will change too. In the life time of the youngest collector on Carbine forum, he/she will see original CMP carbines with FAT markings be a sought after carbine.

Jokingly I predict: There will be a time when if you have a FAT Rockola , well you got one special carbine. LOL.
Old 02-09-2020, 03:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by milprileb View Post
Jokingly I predict: There will be a time when if you have a FAT Rockola , well you got one special carbine. LOL.
Hopefully soon...I got one!!
Old 02-18-2020, 08:11 AM

http://www.uscarbinecal30.com/forum/...C+Kansas#24815

This link illustrates that the featured Carbine was purchased from the Army in original configuration in 1947 along with a 1903 and that they have receipts. So here's one way that nobody ever considers as a possibility.