Go Back   CMP Forums > CMP General > Ask Each Other
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 06-23-2021, 02:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Auguy74 View Post
thanks for all the advice! I'm still set on just cleaning the stock, it's got a great color and patina for me, I just want to remove the slight tacky feel it has in places. I know some of you have mentioned mineral spirits, or a 50/50 mixture of BLO and mineral spirits. which would be better to clean it with: mineral spirits, BLO or RLO? I was probably going to try and clean and lube everything down this weekend so I can take it to the range soon.
Based on that I suggest a 50/50 mix of BLO and turpentine.
Follow the directions in this thread and video. Take your time, do a light 50/50 scrub, see how it looks. Repeat if you want, when done, a coat or so of full strength oil and impress your friends.
https://forums.thecmp.org/showthread.php?t=139520

You can use a straight solvent (turp, mineral spirits) but it is that, a solvent so will cut the existing oil quickly. You like the patina so use the 50/50 and you can scrub away and not take off too much.

JH

Zvenoman's Feedback Thread
Old 06-23-2021, 04:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shomway View Post
Would RLO alone solve the sticky problem the OP had with the stock?
Quite likely just setting it in the sun, and wiping every so often with rlo or pro would do the job. The stickiness is almost definitely non polymerized oil, which fresh oil would break down. Pure oil, either tung or linseed clean surprisingly well on their own.
Old 06-24-2021, 11:40 AM

So if I use the wrap the stock tight with paper towels and then into a black garbage bag in the sun trick.l and I get the old oils flowing, what is best mixture to just wash away the old oils and remove the stickyness leaving as much of the patina as possible? I bought some cheese cloth but not sure best way to proceed now.
Old 06-24-2021, 12:18 PM

I have to chuckle every time anyone asks about stock treatment and finishing. A billion different opinions. My nickel opinion…. Since you want to preserve the original finish as much as possible I would try with the RLO first and the cheese cloth. Most BLO is not pure and full of a bunch of synthetic drying agents. Will give you a glossier look, which is not a USGI look in my opinion. I wipe RLO with a cloth, let it sit for 5 minutes or so then wipe off with a clean cloth, sort of buffing. That way you wont get any excessive buildup. I actually take a tooth brush and get in all the crevices as well. Takes longer but not goobers of crap on the stock. If it is still tacky try just mineral spirits or 50/50 w/RLO. Just Mineral spirits will lighten the stock, but will go back with coat of RLO. I would not bother with a black trash bag, that for really greasy funky stocks. Yours is pretty clean right now. You can just sit in the sun if you want. I just leave them in my garage. Good luck what ever you do!
Old 06-24-2021, 12:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sheeple Fighter View Post
I have to chuckle every time anyone asks about stock treatment and finishing. A billion different opinions. My nickel opinionů.

I would not bother with a black trash bag, that for really greasy funky stocks. Yours is pretty clean right now. You can just sit in the sun if you want. I just leave them in my garage. Good luck what ever you do!
Mr. Fighter made 2 great points there.

I have many different stock cleaning techniques I use. But each stock is different, so I need different methods. And what matters is how it looks to you, not me.
Some great ideas have been posted in this thread. None are wrong, and none are "the only" way.

JH

Zvenoman's Feedback Thread