Go Back   CMP Forums > CMP Sales > M1A/M14
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 02-23-2019, 10:45 PM

Default NM Parts

Did the CMP ever sell USGI National Match M14 parts?

If you look at this document here https://www.gao.gov/assets/700/696882.pdf. Page 38 says the cmp received 486 national match m14 rifles between 2008-2017. If you read that page carefully it says dummy and drill rifles were other models.

When the cmp sold m14 parts kits I thought they came from demilled drill rifles.

Last edited by CarbineMike; 02-23-2019 at 11:21 PM.
Old 02-24-2019, 08:32 AM

I believe those NM conditioned rifles and additionals are still intact and in inventory.
Information via word of mouth so it may be incorrect.
RVN 67-68
Old 02-27-2019, 02:52 PM

I don't recall the CMP selling M14NM parts. Besides, there are not really many parts in the M14 that are actually manufactured as NM. Barrels, sights, and some stocks are NM parts, but other match parts were modified standard parts like the gas system, trigger group, op rod spring guide, etc. Many of the NM rifles turned in by state associations were in very used condition and had a lot of worn out parts and some parts were swapped out by enterprising association members before turning in their rifles for return to the CMP.
Old 02-27-2019, 03:11 PM

I'm pretty sure I got a unitized (screwed) gas system in my CMP parts kit. I may be misremembering, but I do have it on my rifle and everything else on the rifle is from the parts kit. NM sight parts were available for sale from the DCM, if you were a purchaser of a DCM once in a lifetime rifle.
Old 02-27-2019, 04:19 PM

I wouldn't doubt that. Anything can happen when dealing with the CMP. Sometimes they really come through.
Old 02-27-2019, 05:22 PM

In around 2011 Orest came up with all kinds of cool stuff that they were constantly putting up for sale in the e store, lots of M1D sniper accessories many NIW, remember WWI brass bore reflectors? 100 years later, where'd CMP come up with those, and they had a lot more than 1 of them!
So I don't doubt they offered NM parts at some point.

VFW Patriots Circle Member
NRA Life Member
PMRPC - CMP/GSM Rifle Match Chairman
GSM Master Instructor
Old 03-27-2019, 07:35 PM

I remember when the CMP recalled all the NM 14's that were loaned to the State Teams,

seems I recall (and my memory may be off) that they were recalled to be sent off to Smiths or somewhere similar to be refurbed for the Sandbox,

was told (Again, may be BS) that too many went thru Capt Crunch under Clinton and they needed what was out with the various state team,

heard this from a couple guys that had the rifles when recalled, no idea if it is true
Old 04-06-2019, 08:21 AM

I shot a National Match M-14 in competition back in 1993 and 1994. It was one of 5 such rifles issued to our base team by the Naval Weapons Center in Crane, Indiana.

I did not have a standard issue M-14 to compare it to side by side, and am not an armorer myself, but I do recall some of the modifications that had been made to it.

The stock was walnut and chosen for the grain which was very straight along the side, with the "pretty" part being seen on the top or bottom. It was very thick, and the action was glass bedded to it.

The barrel was a heavy stainless steel one. The sights were NM in that they had double the number of click adjustments that an issue one would have, so that you could make finer adjustments.

Of course, the selector switch had been removed or fixed so that you could only fire it in the semi automatic mode.

Each rifle had its own log book and we recorded the dates it was fired and the number of rounds. Sometimes we would record other information such as zero adjustments, but that was usually logged in each shooter's individual score book.

It was the most accurate centerfire rifle I have ever shot, and it was a sad day for me when I had to turn it in upon retirement.
Old 04-30-2019, 01:38 PM

I had an M14 through my state association. When we turned them in, I was told that they would be used a SDM rifles overseas.