Go Back   CMP Forums > CMP Sales > M1A/M14
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 04-07-2019, 09:08 AM

Most of this damage is done during the incessant “field stripping” in boot camp and in ROTC and JR ROTC. They don’t have anything to do except march and “field strip” and in boot camp the instructors show a film and do a little demonstration and walk around the room while everybody jerks rifles apart and slams them back together for the remainder of the time allotted for the training. I think the idea of “field stripping” is viewed backwards, it’s actually to teach the user of the rifle how far he is allowed to disassemble. It is absolutely necessary for a soldier in the field but for us civilians it’s not something we need to do unless we see something with our eyes that says we need to do more than barrel cleaning and wipe down metal surfaces with oiley cloth. This is my observations and maybe a little bit of a rant and I did serve in the Army and trained on the M14 and M16.
Old 04-07-2019, 09:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdwboy View Post
I had a rather "weak" trigger guard on one of mine. (weak meaning hardly any force need to lock/unlock) and replaced it with a new old stock trigger guard from Sherluk, and made all the difference in the world.

Lock up improved as well as a tighter feel to the whole rifle.

I'm still of the opinion that the 'spines" on the trigger group are just there to locate where the trigger group slides into the receiver. The trigger guard (and stock) are the real lockups.
^^^
Rgr this.
Condition of the spline is really not a good indication of the general condition of the trigger group as a whole. Most of the time the splines can be touched up gently and serve a nice long life in a rifle.
RVN 67-68
Old 04-08-2019, 04:32 PM

I had to touch up the spline in the Dupage Parts Kit group. TG locks up fine, actually more than fine.
Old 04-08-2019, 10:14 PM

Does anyone know how to repair the m14 trigger group. Maybe there is a service out there that repairs them frequently.
Old 04-09-2019, 07:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CarbineMike View Post
Does anyone know how to repair the m14 trigger group. Maybe there is a service out there that repairs them frequently.
Repair? If you're talking the splines, a file works fine. Rebuilding a trigger group (with new old stock or new) is rather simple and easy.

here's a video:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z8YC2WT4sXA

Last edited by jdwboy; 04-09-2019 at 09:09 AM.
Old 04-20-2019, 06:30 PM

As already alluded to here, they get damaged by people not being careful installing and removing them into the action.

I keep a thin layer of grease on them.

Doesn't matter how many times you insert it and remove it. Iv'e got 4 rifles and take them down to clean after every range trip for 20 years now and outside of some finish wearing off, the splines are essentially in pristine condition.

Gently insert straight in and pull them straight out without rocking them, and they won't get all dinged up.
Old 05-07-2019, 07:10 PM

Some commercial clones are sharp edged in the mating slot and can have burs I polished one with a popsicle stick and 400 grit sandpaper.