Go Back   CMP Forums > CMP Sales > M1A/M14
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 01-30-2021, 06:26 PM

Quote:
The values being discussed above (considering no original hardware or repo hardware [other than the front plate] being included is pretty steep even considering the beautiful figuring IMHO.
You are correct about E2 stock values and you speak from experience. If the stock had original hardware it would be worth what was quoted, but USGI metal is very hard to find circa 2021.

I'm interested in it as I have the proper buttplate and swivel (likely repo SAI buttplate from the 1980s). I paid $400 for this stock as seen with buttpad & swivel:

...and I got lucky w/ this USGI front hardware when I got the stock two years ago:

...But I don't have an E2 front folding handle, but Chuck Karwan's didn't have one either, so I didn't buy that part for my retro tribute build.
I do like the pattern on that birch stock though, but without the hard-to-find hardware (esp unique E2 buttpad) to complete it, the value is impacted.

Last edited by Random Guy; 01-30-2021 at 06:36 PM.
Old 01-30-2021, 07:14 PM

The figuring is killer and would come to life in an amazing way!

I am only commenting more from a collector perspective; however, the value of this stock is whatever someone is willing to pay!

Beautiful stock from a striping and figuring perspective!

M1Army

Last edited by M1Army; 01-30-2021 at 08:41 PM.
Old 01-31-2021, 09:23 AM

https://photos.app.goo.gl/MjmkjfgXSzm8iVUt9
Thanks for the picture of the stock parts. Now I know what these are. There are 2 of them. I'm assuming it goes inside the stock over the series of holes.
Old 01-31-2021, 12:03 PM

Yes, that is the late mounting plate for front sling and handle for the E2 stock. Here's some pics.

Source, The U.S. M14 Rife: The Last Steel Warrior, 2nd Edition, by Frank Iannamico

If you find a original USGI E2 buttpad then you'll have the proverbial unicorn, they rarely turn up, but sometimes the repo SAI parts from the 1980s will.

...The E2 stocks were shipped from the manufacturer back in the 1960s-70s in crates of I think 8 or 10 - always without the hardware (except stock liner and front ferrule). However, no one has ever been able to find crates of just the E2 hardware, at least not for the past 30 plus years. My impression/theory is that perhaps 2 or 3x more birch E2 stocks were likely made by the subcontractor than what was made by the hardware subcontractors. That is why SAI made a bunch of repo buttplates and foregrips back in the 1980s as they had a lot of E2 stocks but no hardware. Just a quick bit of history.

Last edited by Random Guy; 01-31-2021 at 05:02 PM.