Go Back   CMP Forums > CMP Sales > M1A/M14
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 07-18-2013, 07:47 PM

Why does no one post pics!!!!!!!
Most say stock was better than expected, mine was......
Jh
Old 07-22-2013, 03:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wickstrom View Post
I ordered this stock 2 weeks ago and got it on Monday last week. It's an Exc-plus walnut FWIW. This stock seems pretty accurately described, there's a couple miniscule dings on the stock which look like they would steam out if desired. I prefer a little bit of character though. DOD Stamp with the circle P on the grip, a rack number "228" on the bottom of the grip and what looks like silvery powder in the barrel channel of the stock. I've got a couple years before I will be able to build my M14/M1A, but the rifle I am going to build will likely be an heirloom I pass down to my kids someday. I am planning on cleaning this stock up and re-finishing it with my Grandfather to add some sentimental value to the rifle.

Definitely worth $67 IMO

Here is what me and gramps were able to do with a light rubbing of mineral spirits and 5 coats of PTO. Now she's just sitting lonesomely back in the box she came in waiting for me to turn 21. My grandpa will be 80 this year, I'm really hoping he will still be around to see it when the whole package is put together.

Old 07-22-2013, 05:53 PM

I will add to this freds sent me a great stock. I was a little disappointed with the like new handguard as it was not as nice as my stock but I was very very please with the stock.

[IMG][/IMG]
[IMG][/IMG]
Old 07-22-2013, 09:54 PM

I've bought several stocks (walnut and synthetic) from Freds. They always involved a multi-month wait, but were worth it.

I ordered a birch M14E2 stock two weeks ago after calling and talking to Jack. It was shipped within the week and arrived securely packed a couple of days later.

The stock was EXACTLY as described. All of the hardware was in excellent shape, no cuts, no repairs or serious dents and best of all had the original rubber butt plate and hinge. It did have some rubber residue on the stock, which I have not cleaned up yet. Jack warned me that the rubber was from butt plates that had deteriorated and run over the stocks and the staining would require some work. I'll post photos after I have a chance to work on it. The rifle fits well and the lockup is good. They actually shaved the wood at the mag well to fit the trigger guard.

I'm very happy with my purchase and would do it again. I don't know how long Jack has been with Freds, but it seems like they are finally serious about shipping orders within a reasonable time.

My LRB receiver with a NM medium weight barrel and CMP parts kit fit perfectly.

I have a USGI bipod and I've decided to use the SEI CG muzzle break instead of the M14E2 version. I'm looking for a USGI E2 sling to complete my setup.

BL; very happy.

http://s201.photobucket.com/user/sfo.../M14E2%20Stock

Last edited by sfog2; 07-23-2013 at 08:54 PM. Reason: Added Photos
Old 07-23-2013, 08:56 PM

Photos added
Old 07-23-2013, 09:02 PM

sfog2 how much did that E2 cost?
Old 07-23-2013, 09:53 PM

My M14E2 birch stock from Fred's looked a lot like SFOGs. Was described as excellent/like new and cost $347 delivered. The metalwork cleaned up to look like new. Have a few small dents to work on. The tar came off without problems with a lot of careful scraping and some lacquer thinner. Pleased with my purchase. Jack described it as being dirty and he did not mislead me. I emailed on a wednesday and asked him to call me since I didn't have his number. He called within an hour.

Last edited by bigchuck350; 07-23-2013 at 09:56 PM. Reason: Added info
Old 07-23-2013, 10:03 PM

Just as bigchuck350 stated 347.00 delivered.
Old 07-28-2013, 08:19 PM

See the link below for what 40 minutes of effort with denatured alcohol and very fine steel wool accomplished. I'll clean it one more time then start to apply BLO. I also added the slotted handguard that was included in the package. I just found it tonight as I was getting ready to take the box out to the recycling bin.

Still looking for a USGI E2 sling.

http://s201.photobucket.com/user/sfo...Stock%20Update
Old 08-01-2013, 04:57 PM

Well! All this chatter about Fred turning over a new leaf etc. finally got the best of me and last evening I pushed the Launch button on one of Fred's Top of the Line, M14E2 UNISSUED Birch stocks for $475.00 and three Presentation grade handguards. This afternoon I was "rewarded" with two emails! One, advising that the Shipping Charges on my order were being REDUCED by $4.00 dollars and the other advising me of my UPS Tracking Number!!!! Now I find myself hoping that the stock itself "wows" me as much as the fast turnaround!!! Wish me Luck!