Go Back   CMP Forums > CMP Sales > M1A/M14
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 07-05-2013, 06:59 PM

Default Does SAI use USGI parts?

I picked a new in box SAI about 8 years ago. I have no clue as why I didn't catch this until recently. But my trigger group, including the hammer is USGI (HR). Is this common?
Old 07-05-2013, 07:08 PM

Yes. Their early offerings came with many GI parts which were left over. As that stuff rant out, they have switched to current production parts.
Old 07-05-2013, 08:30 PM

I bought a SAI Scout Squad back in 2006 and almost all of the internals were USGI.
Old 07-05-2013, 09:11 PM

Well.... that is cool!
Old 07-07-2013, 04:42 AM

Hey we were buying them in the 1980s and they had many of their own cast parts then. Bolts, op rods, trigger groups, even on the super match rifles. We bought USGI parts and switched them out the first time we had the guns rebarreled and rebedded.

The parts were junk back then.
Old 07-26-2013, 04:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rearsite View Post
Hey we were buying them in the 1980s and they had many of their own cast parts then. Bolts, op rods, trigger groups, even on the super match rifles. We bought USGI parts and switched them out the first time we had the guns rebarreled and rebedded.

The parts were junk back then.
Whew, I have a list of problems with a fair amount of SAI production including the early cast bolts which were known to shear lugs. Same same, just rebuilt them. In those days was still using canadian NM barrels.
Old 07-26-2013, 05:20 AM

If you do some research, you can generally target some serial number ranges which had a higher percentage of USGI parts. Funny, lock bar sights can be found in some cases.
Old 07-26-2013, 05:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pro2 View Post
If you do some research, you can generally target some serial number ranges which had a higher percentage of USGI parts. Funny, lock bar sights can be found in some cases.
Indeed, just took in an SAI with lock bar and swapped them out on his Garand with the proper sights. SAI also bought surplus parts from overseas and had a run of USGI part weapons in the 90's I think it was. But even those should be watched, in more than one case they used some parts that were most likely rejects (early 80/81).
Old 07-26-2013, 08:08 AM

...and just how does "junk" manifest it's self when shooting a M1A....or are we dealing with pride of ownership?? Good Shooting.......
Old 07-26-2013, 08:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rojkoh View Post
Whew, I have a list of problems with a fair amount of SAI production including the early cast bolts which were known to shear lugs.
I have never seen a lug shear off completely but I have seen pictures of some "soft" lugs wich deformed and is probably just as bad. However, I have nothing but good things to say about SAI. They stand 100% behind their product and offer a true lifetime warranty. I recenty bought a "NIB" Super Match that was manufactured in 2001. I think it spent most of its days as a safe queen but the previous owner did a little tinkering with it I think. Anyway, I called Springfield and they said to send it back. It arrived at SA on a Wednesday around noon and it was shipped back to me on Thursday. I would not hesitate to buy another SAI rifle regardless of GI or new manufactured parts.