Go Back   CMP Forums > CMP Sales > M1A/M14
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 07-26-2013, 07:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rearsite View Post
In 83 or 84, who the heck can remember exactly, I bought 24105 new in the box Springfield M1A Super Match. And yes it did have a TRW bolt like you said. But it had a pot metal op rod which flew out of the channel during a rapid fire string at Perry and they took me to the armors place where they replaced it with a USGI one and laughed at the SAI rod. The rifle also had a SAI pot metal trigger housing and pin which constantly had the pin come out holding the hammer. And the bolt hold open piece wore quickly so the bolt would close and not stay open.

I still have my Super match M1A that I had Nelson build years ago with USGI parts. It was originally a SM but I bought it with a rusted barrel and ditched the pot metal parts and bought USGI parts. It's a 31K rifle and it had pot metal op rod and trigger housing too.

You do realize that "pot metal" is die cast zinc or zinc alloy and not likely used on an M1A rifle? It could have been a poor cast steel part but not likely pot metal.

Pot metal, also known as monkey metal, white metal or die-cast zinc, is a colloquial term that refers to alloys that consist of inexpensive, low-melting point metals used to make fast, inexpensive castings.
Old 07-26-2013, 08:03 PM

Pot metal op-rods. Now, that is a new one. Gotta' love the internet.
Old 07-26-2013, 08:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cal50 View Post
You do realize that "pot metal" is die cast zinc or zinc alloy and not likely used on an M1A rifle? It could have been a poor cast steel part but not likely pot metal.

Pot metal, also known as monkey metal, white metal or die-cast zinc, is a colloquial term that refers to alloys that consist of inexpensive, low-melting point metals used to make fast, inexpensive castings.
It really doesn't matter if it was pot metal or what ever it was made of. They were junk and had no business being put on modern rifles for the public to have their faces right up against. Especially when they were used for bolts.

I remember the one Standard model I bought that had the "junk" bolt in it marked SAA on the bolt. You would pull the trigger and there was a hesitation before it fired. I called the factory and they were panicking for me to send them the rifle.
Old 07-26-2013, 08:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pro2 View Post

The butt stock was also filled with gold coins when he got the rifle.....
(If you peel them open they are chocolate in the middle)

Old 07-26-2013, 10:28 PM

Quote:
Too true!
Old 07-27-2013, 05:10 AM

Quote:
"Gotta love the internet" What we gotta love is people who ignore what people are discussing (junk parts) and make fun of something they say. This is a ploy the libs use to deflect when they don't want to hear what is being said.

Why are you people afraid to hear that SEI supplied junk parts on their Super Matches then? You weren't there buying them at the time but are somehow experts now.

Last edited by grinerbros; 07-27-2013 at 12:20 PM.
Old 07-27-2013, 05:38 AM

Quote:
"Gotta love the internet" What we gotta love is people who ignore what people are discussing (junk parts) and make fun of something they say. This is a ploy the libs use to deflect when they don't want to hear what is being said.

Why are you people afraid to hear that SEI supplied junk parts on their Super Matches then? You we're there buying them at the time but are somehow experts now.
No one is arguing that SAI has had some spotty history regarding the quality of "in house" M14 parts. I have had a SAI gas cylinder that was garbage.

For the most part, SAI "in house" parts have been solid quality and reliable.

As much as I have read about catastrophic SAI bolt failures, most with half a brain will recognize the most (if not all) reports are "hear-say," or fueled haters/snobs. Regardless, SAI stands firmly behind their product, and publicized the potential failure in their product. You cannot say that for a lot of other manufacturers.

Personally, I have never had an issue with an SAI op-rods or trigger housings. In fact, people confuse them with real USGI all the time. That being said, I have always sold my SAI op-rod and replaced it with a USGI example... but I am a little bit of a gun snob as well, but there was absolutely nothing wrong with these SAI parts.

To add a little fuel to the debate, I have purchased firearms that had some questionable parts swapped INTO it... specifically a Chi-Com trigger group. I observed an SAI rifle with a Chi-Com bolt installed at a gun show a couple years back. There is no dispute that these parts are garbage.

Anyway, you are blurring the reality with fantasy, somewhere in the middle lies the truth. Why? Poor memory or a poor experience, blown way out of proportion? Pot metal? Come on, that is insane.

Irrational and/or ignorant people will grab onto which every piece of information suits their personal prerogative, regardless of the origin..... and run with it. Yes, as I stated before, "Gotta' love the internet."
Old 07-27-2013, 06:23 AM

Quote:
No one is arguing that SAI has had some spotty history regarding the quality of "in house" M14 parts. I have had a SAI gas cylinder that was garbage.

For the most part, SAI "in house" parts have been solid quality and reliable.

As much as I have read about catastrophic SAI bolt failures, most with half a brain will recognize the most (if not all) reports are "hear-say," or fueled haters/snobs. Regardless, SAI stands firmly behind their product, and publicized the potential failure in their product. You cannot say that for a lot of other manufacturers.

Personally, I have never had an issue with an SAI op-rods or trigger housings. In fact, people confuse them with real USGI all the time. That being said, I have always sold my SAI op-rod and replaced it with a USGI example... but I am a little bit of a gun snob as well, but there was absolutely nothing wrong with these SAI parts.

To add a little fuel to the debate, I have purchased firearms that had some questionable parts swapped INTO it... specifically a Chi-Com trigger group. I observed an SAI rifle with a Chi-Com bolt installed at a gun show a couple years back. There is no dispute that these parts are garbage.

Anyway, you are blurring the reality with fantasy, somewhere in the middle lies the truth. Why? Poor memory or a poor experience, blown way out of proportion? Pot metal? Come on, that is insane.

Irrational and/or ignorant people will grab onto which every piece of information suits their personal prerogative, regardless of the origin..... and run with it. Yes, as I stated before, "Gotta' love the internet."
pro2.....When I bought 24105 brand new in the box there was no such thing as a chi com m14/M1A. No memory clouding. Only a problem with YOU not wanting to believe what was going on back in the day. We had many problems with the junk parts. Are their parts better now? Hell yes. But anyone buying an 80's gun with the idea they are getting a better gun is a damn fool. Could be bettter yes, but it Tain't necessarily true.
Old 07-27-2013, 12:40 PM

Quote:

Why are you people afraid to hear that SEI supplied junk parts on their Super Matches then? You we're there buying them at the time but are somehow experts now.

A discussion is more credible if you can accurately and correctly describe things or the events you claim to have taken place. When you grossly ( incorrectly ) make a statement about pot metal parts on any M1A rifle you really have no idea what you are talking about or trying to describe accurately. It makes you appear stupid, but funny reading.

Its similar claiming a certain brand of vehicle is junk when you know zero of what a problem could be, how to repair it or anything about the parts involved. Some people are better off letting a knowledgeable person fix their cars AND rifles if they don't know what they are doing.

Springfield has built a LOT of M1A rifles, completely stands behind the rifles & pistols they manufacture and is a benchmark for customer service. There have been manufacturing issues along the way and the same can be said for Fulton , Smith Ent., Armscorp,etc as well. Every USGI part made was / is not perfect and defects slip thru in every manufacturing process.

Some people are smart enough to know this and objectively evaluate while others fall into the internet keyboard commando / troll category that repeat things they know nothing or very little about.

If you think all Springfield rifles and parts are "junk" that's you're right & opinion but not based on any widespread facts or events.
Old 07-27-2013, 03:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Random Guy View Post
Personally I like SAI, and their excellent lifetime warranty, but I know a lot of people like to thrash them b/c they use non-USGI parts from time to time in their M1As...

Not always the case, but there is the simple fact that their QA runs hot and cold. Has since they moved away from using Elmer's tooling for the M1A receivers. I liked Bob Reese, but after that... I run luke warm about the company. I honestly have a list of problems I've seen over the years since the Reese family ran out of the Devine production receivers.