Go Back   CMP Forums > CMP Sales > M1A/M14
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 03-23-2014, 01:24 PM

Default M14 Receivers and Parts

Do you think the CMP would entertain the notion of stocking and selling M14 type receivers, semi-auto, and all the parts necessary for rifle builds, if the testing showed that all were the same as, and met all previous G.I. specifications ? Made in American, by Americans.

We know the build parts are drying up or already gone, that g.i. barrels are basically impossible to find, and there is currently no u.s. makers doing them in production, save for some bolts and scattered op rods. So what are your thoughts ? If you were the CMP, would you see a value to stocking and selling these parts ? If enough people agree they should, would the CMP consider it for us, in your opinion ?

Supply and demand. If we could prove there is a demand for these parts, wouldn't it be a good business model for the CMP to carry them in an exclusive deal ? Rifle markmanship and parts, from the people who invented it for the civilians.
Old 03-23-2014, 04:37 PM

criterion makes chrome lined
Old 03-23-2014, 06:23 PM
Super Moderator

Are you talking about forged receivers or investment cast receivers? (I don't care but others do.) I would email Orest privately if you want an official CMP opinion.

"The trouble with most people is that they think with their hopes or fears or wishes rather than with their minds."--Will Durant
Old 03-23-2014, 06:28 PM

I'm sure theres a market for it
Old 03-23-2014, 09:52 PM

Be pretty cool if they actually started to make their own "replicas"

SSgt
=Operation Iraqi Freedom 2010=
Old 03-24-2014, 08:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dprice3844444 View Post
criterion makes chrome lined
Criterion barrels do not come close to being the same as g.i. barrels. Recent testing has proven this.

Quote:
Originally Posted by GGaskill View Post
Are you talking about forged receivers or investment cast receivers? (I don't care but others do.) I would email Orest privately if you want an official CMP opinion.
The same as g.i., hammer forged. Same for all the small parts as g.i. too.

I didn't want to ask Orest until I had something to prove it would be viable. Interest in such, by the people. 284 views and few replies answers that question though. I wanted the public opinion before approaching CMP so when they asked, all I had to do is tell them to read the thread. Maybe someone could find another entity to handle marketing of such parts since there seems to be no opinions from members here.

It's funny too, because for years I have been reading the myriad of complaints and opinions about the cheap, cast, foreign made parts breaking over and over.
Old 03-24-2014, 09:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by M14 View Post
Rifle markmanship and parts, from the people who invented it for the civilians.

From previous comments, Orest seems to want to get out of the "selling business". The AR-15s they used to sell weren't really a success and that was current mass production. Making all US-made new M14 parts made to government specifications would be VERY expensive. Low-rate production combined with USGI style QC and we're talking $7500 rifles, easy. Probably more.

Last edited by missilegeek; 03-24-2014 at 09:08 AM.
Old 03-24-2014, 09:11 AM
CMP Board Member

no. not a matter of getting out of the selling business. CMP does not and will not have an FFL and cannot inventory commercial firearms (receivers). As for parts - they have to come from somewhere and we don't see any more coming from the Army.
Old 03-24-2014, 03:30 PM

If they had any glimmer of doing what you proposed, they wouldn't have executed their "M14 small parts unload" of recent past.
Old 03-24-2014, 05:45 PM

The 800 pound gorilla in the room is going to be the parts kits. Receiver sales will be slow without an ample supply of parts.