Go Back   CMP Forums > CMP Sales > M1A/M14
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 12-08-2015, 10:33 AM

If I were in the market for a M14 clone, what would I do?

Exactly as Aaron stated above, look at the used market. Chances are that if you buy a SA Inc. rifle on the secondary market it's had it's problems fixed already, but get the box for shipping purposes anyway. Not every SA Inc. rifle I've seen has had issues, but I've seen enough to know there are a few common issues that plague SA Inc. rifles. These problems are extraction problems, barrel timing issues and scope mount slots not being to spec.

In every case SA Inc. has stood by their products and fixed them. Sometimes the purchaser gets a bit frustrated waiting for this to happen but you'll spend 2x as much to get to the same point with another product.
CMP HP Master
DR#2474 (2019) 1/2 with irons, 1/2 with optics
Old 12-08-2015, 01:38 PM
Banned

Just looked at a new SAI. and notice the cast line on their rear sight aperture, how much more is cast metal?

No thanks, I can afford to spend the extra and get an American made rifle which will last many life times.

Howardhuge Springfield Armory closed its doors in 1968, most of it was sent to Rock Island arsenal.
Old 12-08-2015, 01:54 PM

Most of the fancy expensive rifles people build will
Last lifetimes. Safe queens never wear out
Old 12-08-2015, 03:18 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by aloreman View Post
Most of the fancy expensive rifles people build will
Last lifetimes. Safe queens never wear out
You sir are correct of course, if they never leave the safe it's hard to wear them out, and I do have a few of those.

I am building a few that will see their fair share at the range and in the field, and I know if I do my part they will do theirs.

I just want you folks to know that I am not trying to diminish what SAI. has done. They have made it possible for the common man to own an M1A/M14, but with that having been said their product is not what it was twenty or thirty years ago.

If they bring that type of quality back their prices will shoot through the roof!
Old 12-22-2015, 11:10 PM

I want to own an M14 someday. I would love to get an LRB or James River but spending $2,250 on a single rifle is tough to do. I may try to find an older springfield with GI parts like described above....want to see if I can get for $1k to $1100.
Old 12-23-2015, 10:28 AM

Up until what year (or serial number) were M1A built with quality parts? Has there ever been an issue with their cast receivers?
Old 12-23-2015, 11:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snipesrule View Post
Up until what year (or serial number) were M1A built with quality parts? Has there ever been an issue with their cast receivers?
I bought mine just after the first announcement of the M1A was made in the March, 1974 issue of "The American Rifleman".
I received my rifle, a National Match version, serial #00170x, on May 15th of that year, and it contained ALL GI parts (except receiver, of course) and it's performed excellently all these years!
My son now has the rifle, and he is using it . . . as did I . . . as it was meant to be used . . . in competition!
Never had any problems with the cast receiver . . . headspace has remained OK. (Of course, the bore has only seen "target-grade" ammo, mostly handloaded!)
If at all possible, I suggest you hold out for an OLD version! --Jim

Last edited by JimF; 12-23-2015 at 11:50 AM.
Old 12-23-2015, 06:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimF View Post
I bought mine just after the first announcement of the M1A was made in the March, 1974 issue of "The American Rifleman".
I received my rifle, a National Match version, serial #00170x, on May 15th of that year, and it contained ALL GI parts (except receiver, of course) and it's performed excellently all these years!
My son now has the rifle, and he is using it . . . as did I . . . as it was meant to be used . . . in competition!
Never had any problems with the cast receiver . . . headspace has remained OK. (Of course, the bore has only seen "target-grade" ammo, mostly handloaded!)
If at all possible, I suggest you hold out for an OLD version! --Jim

How much is a Devine or shortly thereafter M1A worth? Is it possible to get an older M1A with usgi parts for under $1,000?
Old 12-23-2015, 07:33 PM

A devine would start over 3 grand and a usgi parts m1a can be had for 1500 and up. for 1000 you would be lucky to get a newer m1a standard on a used rack. Trust me from the guys who dont have 45 year old guns with factory barrels still in good shape, those who actually shoot them, a new model is just fine.
Old 12-23-2015, 10:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by aloreman View Post
A devine would start over 3 grand and a usgi parts m1a can be had for 1500 and up. for 1000 you would be lucky to get a newer m1a standard on a used rack. Trust me from the guys who dont have 45 year old guns with factory barrels still in good shape, those who actually shoot them, a new model is just fine.

I know you can't beat SAI's warrantee, but I've heard of many people having problems (extractor issues, trigger malfunctions, etc) with their rifles and sending them back. Is it worth getting a new rifle for $1,300 or going for the older models with USGI parts (+$1,500)?