Go Back   CMP Forums > CMP Sales > M1A/M14
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 02-14-2016, 11:46 AM

Thumbs up Armed

In the late 50's to mid 60's all the Air Police at gates where I was stationed all carried live 38's..
Old 02-14-2016, 12:34 PM

I was a Air Policeman/Security (1958-1962), stationed at Turner AFB, Georgia, Ernest Harmon AFB, Newfoundland, Hunter AFB, Georgia and Zaragossa AFB Spain. At Turner AFB, we carried the 1911 and 1911A1 pistols on Main Gate duty and on Base Patrol. On the Ramp, (B-52s), we carried the M2 Carbine. We were issued Ammo and each weapon was loaded. At Ernest Harmon AFB, we carried the M2 Carbine on the ramp/patrol, guarding the KC-97 Air Refueling Aircraft. On gate duty, we carried the 1911 or 1911A1 pistol, loaded. On Strike Team Duty Patrol, we had three Airman to the 4 door International Truck. One carried a Browning Automatic Rifle, One a M-3 Grease Gun, One a M2 Carbine. We were issued ammo for them. At Hunter AFB, B-47s on ramp, we carried the M2 Carbine. Gate Guard duty, either a S & W .38 Cal. Victory Model Revolver, or .45 Pistol. Ammo was issued for them. TDY, Zaragossa AFB, Spain, (Cuban Missal Crisis), we carried the M2 Carbine on ramp, guarding the B-47 Bombers. Gate guard duty there, the .38 or .45 pistols. Ammo issued for them.
Thanks for reading this long first hand answer, miss those days in the Air Force.
Old 02-14-2016, 12:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by USAFAP View Post
I was a Air Policeman/Security (1958-1962), stationed at Turner AFB, Georgia, Ernest Harmon AFB, Newfoundland, Hunter AFB, Georgia and Zaragossa AFB Spain. At Turner AFB, we carried the 1911 and 1911A1 pistols on Main Gate duty and on Base Patrol. On the Ramp, (B-52s), we carried the M2 Carbine. We were issued Ammo and each weapon was loaded. At Ernest Harmon AFB, we carried the M2 Carbine on the ramp/patrol, guarding the KC-97 Air Refueling Aircraft. On gate duty, we carried the 1911 or 1911A1 pistol, loaded. On Strike Team Duty Patrol, we had three Airman to the 4 door International Truck. One carried a Browning Automatic Rifle, One a M-3 Grease Gun, One a M2 Carbine. We were issued ammo for them. At Hunter AFB, B-47s on ramp, we carried the M2 Carbine. Gate Guard duty, either a S & W .38 Cal. Victory Model Revolver, or .45 Pistol. Ammo was issued for them. TDY, Zaragossa AFB, Spain, (Cuban Missal Crisis), we carried the M2 Carbine on ramp, guarding the B-47 Bombers. Gate guard duty there, the .38 or .45 pistols. Ammo issued for them.
Thanks for reading this long first hand answer, miss those days in the Air Force.
Good time to be in the service, and thanks for yours.

58-61 I was a dependent in Berlin Germany. The Army had all those weapons available. No wall while I was there. Great times being a kid.

Back to your weapons, did you get to qualify/familarize with those weapons?

Had 136 Pos feedbacks on the old system, in over two hundred transactions. They went poof. Please post your feedback here: http://forums.thecmp.org/showthread.php?t=200241
Old 02-14-2016, 03:56 PM

Kansas Poster, Thank you Sir for your kind remark. We qualified on the .45 Cal. 1911 and 1911A1's, as well as the M2 Carbine, single and auto fire mode. Got to shoot the Browning Automatic Rifle to familiarize with same. As to the M3 Grease Gun, just familiarize with it. The .38 Cal. S & W Victory Model Pistol, we had to qualify with it also.
I still have my qualification cards on these, as well as the serial number of my M2 Carbine I qualified with in the AF.

Also forgot to state in last post, we did have the .30 Cal. light Machine Gun, we just had familiarization with it. We were not issued the M16A1 of my time and on my bases in the AF. I still have my .45 Pistol holster issued to me in 1958. Wore It during my time in the AF. It is marked, Boyt 52 on the back side and is Black in color. (Had to turn another one into Supply to keep mine), upon leaving the AF. Still have my Air Police Arm Band we wore before the AF changed over to the Air Police Badge. We could not keep the Air Police Badge, so I traced over it with a #2 lead pencil on thin paper, still have it in my AF Scrapbook, as well, pictures of me holding a M2 Carbine I carried, and me, with my 45 cal pistol holster on. Great time in the AF, would do it all over again. Been there and done that, as they say. Thanks for the question. Glad to share my experiences, Mine was only a small part of history, many, many, more servicemen and women did a lot more than I did for our country. Thanks to all who served our Great Military and Country.
Old 02-27-2016, 12:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark1 View Post
Well said dboyer82. It is a matter of respect and honer.
Yeah....something of which this administration's Secretaries of State have no knowledge or appreciation.
Old 02-27-2016, 11:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2AD_Vet View Post
If guards have no live rounds then times must have changed..... Understand a memorial is different, but on base In the late 70's we were issued 3 rounds for our m16 while on guard duty in front of the base armoury. I remember having to check the rounds back in after being relieved. if we cant trust a trained soldier with live ammo, then whats the point......
Down at Ft Campbell, Ky during the 70's. We had to pull Post Guard Duty 2 times a year. I always got stuck out at the Post Ammo Dump. There would be four of us,Each issued a 45 Auto, 3 bullets and a Field pack radio on I'll backs. One was at the gate and the other three of us had to patrol the dump. We were allowed to carry the loaded mag in the 45, but we weren't allowed to have no bullets in the pipe.I always thought that was funny, we're guarding millions of rounds of ammo with three bullets each!!! Wow what invaders were we going to stop with 3 bullets each.
Old 02-28-2016, 01:30 PM

Of course, with today's leadership, the unwavering vigil and devotion of the Tomb Guards is hardly appreciated:

I can't help but think that legalized dueling would solve many of America's problems
Old 03-01-2016, 02:47 PM

Few possess the attributes and willingness to sacrifice certain things to serve as a member of the "Old Guard". As I understand it, each member must swear to forego vulgar language and alcohol for life. They are held to the highest of standards and it's a commitment not many are willing to accept.

The remains of the individual from WW1 could be a Soldier, a Marine or National Guardsman. The divisions of that time contained elements of each.

They stand guard over the tomb 24/7 in all weather. IMO they are the finest young men this nation has to offer and they have my undying admiration. I don't care if they have cartridges or not.

Last edited by Doubs43; 03-01-2016 at 02:52 PM.
Old 03-01-2016, 03:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doubs43 View Post
. . . As I understand it, each member must swear to forego vulgar language and alcohol for life. . .
Urban Legend. https://tombguard.org/society/faq/
Old 03-01-2016, 03:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scout706 View Post
Obviously I've been misinformed.

However, that in no way diminishes my admiration for their dedication and their roll in maintaining respect for what the tomb symbolizes.