Go Back   CMP Forums > CMP Sales > M1A/M14
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 04-09-2017, 12:42 AM

Default M14 vs M16 - 1 Vets opinion

Thought I would share a conversation I had with a gentleman who used to be a coworker of mine......I worked with him years ago and he retired shortly after I started my career......he came back to visit for lunch on his birthday the other day.......I knew he was a Vietnam vet and when I worked with him I had yet to contract garanditis!!!! so I never really discussed firearms and the military with him at the time....... well I started showing him some pictures of my military surplus collection, telling him about CMP and asking him about his experience in Vietnam......man was I in for a treat.......apparently he was drafted into the Army and found himself in Vietnam in Spring of 1967......was there for the Tet Offensive and didn't come home until Spring of 1968
I started asking him questions about his experience and once I got him going, he really started opening up and telling us stories from those days........was stationed at a base 35 miles northwest of Saigon and from the stories he shared, I can surmise that they got hit pretty hard during Tet.......he said they estimated 7,000 enemy hit there base.......after it was over they think only 1 in 3 actually had a weapon......apparently he was on duty as Sgt of the guard the night of Tet and received the first radio report saying over 7,000 enemy were heading there way.......he laughed about it now, but he said he was sipping coffee when he heard it go over the radio and almost dumped the hot cup of joe all over himself lol......He said the whole time over there he never saw a North Vietnamese Regular, only Viet Cong.......

he said he was issued an M-14 originally when he got into country but was eventually issued an M-16 which he confirmed the soldiers he served with hated.......he said when they first were issued to them, Mag springs and barrels rusted out very easily........he also said the biggest complaint amongst his group (which I never thought of) was the ammo was not compatible with the heavier machine guns (m-60).......he said when he had an M-14, there were several instances where ammo was running low and they started topping off mags by taking ammo from the m-60 links.......once he got an M-16 they couldn't do that.........

just thought id share that with everyone.......we ended up talking for over an hour........always love talking to vets about firearms and there experiences overseas..........

Last edited by bandhunter31; 04-09-2017 at 01:02 AM.
Old 04-09-2017, 02:51 PM

Interesting account. It's something that he revealed as much as he did during the course of an hour's conversation. That can be pretty rare, depending on the veteran and their experiences. Maybe your friend might like to go shoot sometime, especially if you happen to have an example of either rifle he would be familiar with. It might be a real eye opener.

About ten years ago, I took a friend shooting with me that was in the U.S.M.C. from 1960 to 1963. I handed him my M-14. There was a target out 100 yards away for him with a 7 1/4" red bullseye. He loaded the rifle, adjusted the web sling and fired four rounds standing without a rest. To my great happiness, there were four hits from M80 Ball in the red... from a former Marine at over 60 years old who had not touched a similar rifle since 1963. Amazing!
Old 04-09-2017, 03:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by stripper clip View Post
Maybe your friend might like to go shoot sometime, especially if you happen to have an example of either rifle he would be familiar with. It might be a real eye opener
I concur...

http://forums.thecmp.org/showthread.php?t=23330
Old 04-10-2017, 02:28 PM

Great write up. I enjoy getting to hear the stories of the ones that have fought for our freedom. Being a service member myself it makes me appreciate the guys before me even more. They paved the way for us. I cant speak in terms of carrying M16's in battle, I have carried one but never fired it while deployed I'm in the USAF and my AFSC don't go outside the wire so to speak. From a personal enjoyment point of view I would much rather have a M14 over a M16. Please thank your co-worker for his service to our country for me.

regards,
Casey
Old 04-10-2017, 04:27 PM

Went thru parris island with the m-14.i loved that rifle.got to nam,issued an m-16 (three pronged flash supressor)and 5 magazines.the ammo was tiny compared to the full nato round of the m-14.when i rotated out i had 23 magazines.there was a cleaning rod taped to the side of the rifle(m-16)i was told that i would find out why the first time the shtf. I hated the m-16.48 years later i have made peace with the ar platform.i own several m&p's and love to shoot them.never have had any issues with them.
Old 04-10-2017, 09:51 PM

Smile M16 Versus M14

In reply to a previous thread on M16 Versus M14 Carried both rifles in my Army career,was trained with the M14 shot expert,was in Germany when my number came up to go to Vietnam[1966-1967] was assigned to the 1st Inf Div,16 Inf was issued a M14 when arriving to my company deployed on out on a operation,never had a problem with it.Some time later we turned in our M14's to be issued the new wonder rifle M16's we where new to the rifle this was also before they changed the powder in the ammunition.Have seen a lot of problems with the Black Rifle it has taken me years to get comfortable with the M-16 biggest problem i have seen was lack of training,and proper maintenance of the weapon. Have seen some Horror stories with the M16,carried two types over in Vietnam first the black bolt than the silver bolt.still when i could would grab a M14 [they where still in our arms area] when i could.Also during this time period they went to the proper powder in the ammo,also the 5.56 does not have the stopping power in some circunstances,yes today i have a couple AR15's and AR10's.I still enjoy my M1A and M1's.I may add that i carried a acquired 45Auto just in case when i was over there in Vietnam,this debate will go on for years,i am one of the lucky ones i made it back home in one piece,still think of my brothers that did not make it back,Bill T
Old 04-10-2017, 10:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sadtcong View Post
In reply to a previous thread on M16 Versus M14 Carried both rifles in my Army career,was trained with the M14 shot expert,was in Germany when my number came up to go to Vietnam[1966-1967] was assigned to the 1st Inf Div,16 Inf was issued a M14 when arriving to my company deployed on out on a operation,never had a problem with it.Some time later we turned in our M14's to be issued the new wonder rifle M16's we where new to the rifle this was also before they changed the powder in the ammunition.Have seen a lot of problems with the Black Rifle it has taken me years to get comfortable with the M-16 biggest problem i have seen was lack of training,and proper maintenance of the weapon. Have seen some Horror stories with the M16,carried two types over in Vietnam first the black bolt than the silver bolt.still when i could would grab a M14 [they where still in our arms area] when i could.Also during this time period they went to the proper powder in the ammo,also the 5.56 does not have the stopping power in some circunstances,yes today i have a couple AR15's and AR10's.I still enjoy my M1A and M1's.I may add that i carried a acquired 45Auto just in case when i was over there in Vietnam,this debate will go on for years,i am one of the lucky ones i made it back home in one piece,still think of my brothers that did not make it back,Bill T

Thank you for sharing this story. It's nice to hear a real account of the service rifle being used. Also a big thank you for your service.

I agree the debate of which is better will never be settled. To me though the old wooden stock rifles carry more history and character. Again this is from the personal enjoyment side. The only rifle I have carried is what they call the M16A2. And by that I mean to and from work while deployed and what not. I'm not infantry so I did have to use it to defend my life. And I qualified with the M16A4. Which I managed to shoot expert with along with the M9 handgun.

Regards,
Casey
Old 04-12-2017, 04:36 AM

M-14 is a battle rifle, M-16 a poor imitation there of.
Issued M-14 in mid 60's at Parris Island and became Expert with the rifle at boot camp.
Next 2 duty stations M-14s were the issue weapon and I was totally in love.
Just before TET offensive of " 1968 " our beloved rifles were taken back and a very poor replacement was issued. Learned to hate the M-16 immediately. A round or two and brass would get stuck in the chamber and you had a plastic club with which to fight a war. I am sure they got better over a period of time, but they cost the lives of many good Marines in the mean time. To this day , I have no respect for the bunny boppers.

Semper Fi
Art
Old 04-13-2017, 12:32 AM

Exclamation

I came up thru the M1 Garand , M14 & M 16. Qualified Expert with all of them.
I carried a CAR 15 (the carbine/SMG version of the 16) in RVN.
The Garand was OK, but didn't have the needed fire power for modern day war. The M14 was great in semi, just an over weight Garand, but in full auto it was a giant POS!!! Most could not control it on FA thus the origin of the term "Spray & Pray!"
The M16 - in my case CAR 15 - was great. Light, easy to use and the lighter weight made carrying lots of ammo not a problem. I carried 24 20 rd mags.
Yes, the ammo problem caused lots of grief early on, but once that problem got solved the 16 was a good rifle.
I tend to think that the reason many of those who dislike the 16 is that they were not properly trained on it and they were also not good shots.
Sarge
Old 04-13-2017, 09:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sarge 13 View Post
once that problem got solved the 16 was a good rifle.
I tend to think that the reason many of those who dislike the 16 is that they were not properly trained on it and they were also not good shots.
Well said.

Quote:
Originally Posted by nf1e View Post
M-14 is a battle rifle, M-16 a poor imitation there of.
It makes me cringe when folks say this. Zero proof, just personal opinion. I get it, everyone is attached to their particular service rifle. But neither the M14 nor the M16/M4 are designed to be casualty producing weapons. Both are very different. If I'm an SDM, yes, give me an M25, the .308 will obviously reach out further and continue to be lethal beyond what the 5.56 does. If I'm kicking doors in, and clearing block by block, M4 please.

More ammo always wins. One man with a 30 round mag of 5.56 can go shot for shot with one man who has a 20 round mag of .308, and still have 10 rounds to advance to, through, and beyond your cover and concealment. He who reloads less, can maneuver more, maneuver wins engagements not who has a wood and steel rifle.

The M14 is certainly not better than the M16, its different, and designed when we fought differently, when we (as an Army) didn't fully understand how warfare was fought. To call the M16 a poor imitation of a battle rifle is insulting to those that have carried it into battle for the last 50 years.

Last edited by FX41; 04-13-2017 at 10:03 AM.