Go Back   CMP Forums > CMP Sales > M1A/M14
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 03-15-2019, 05:56 PM

Default James River National Match

I found a used (like new) JR National Match at my LGS, not something you see every day around here.

Iím no purest, and went to the PX at Randolph AFB to order an M1A, loaded. But their distributor is out. The JR and the M1A are almost exactly the same for price, with tax, etc. I can wait for the M1A loaded to become available, not in a rush.

Iíve ready plenty pros & cons about both. Over on AR15.com, thereís an interesting story about a guy who had a JR split the stock. Thereís a discussion about whether it was due to ammo or out of battery firing. It makes me wonder; as a retired Army master gunner, Iíve seen bad ammo; this didnít look like that to me. Not sure though.

I know the big deal on JR is forged receivers vs. cast. Not sure that really means a lot to me; I wouldnít really shoot enough for it to matter. I did get a chance to look at that JR serial #. Itís 10091. I saw a link somewhere that stated JR started making cast receivers after 1001?

Iím wondering what those who are more familiar with these two think. They would be the same cost. I can wait for the M1A but am really tempted by the JR. it has fiberglass handguards and no selector cutout, both which I prefer. I think that because the JR is more recent itíll have few if any USGI, which doesnít really mean that much to me anyway. I canít afford a real M14 or Iíd have one.

For the record, I have two SA M1 Garands (Ď42 & Ď43) and an IHC .308 special on order and an SAI Squad Scout.

Those are the only two on the table for this question. Which would you pick, and why? Politely as you can, please.
Old 03-15-2019, 06:59 PM

I’d almost flip a coin on that. My SAI had an issue with the bolt roller contacting the receiver causing the roller to fall off. SAI replaced the bolt but didn’t fix the clearance issue. Had a well known M14 smith fix that up. Other than that my SAI ran perfect. Have a Bula which is no different than a JR. Built that up from a Dupage M14 parts kit. It runs fine but is picky on stock fitment. I really think they are on par with each other quality wise. Bula/JR will be US made of that makes a difference, where the SAI comes from all over. Bula’s M21 DMR receiver is why I bought mine. Flip a coin don’t think you can go wrong on either.
Old 03-15-2019, 08:16 PM

I think a JRA NM & loaded SAI are approximately equal. That said, why did the almost new JRA get traded in to the LGS; might you be acquiring somebody else's problem?

I'm not anti-JRA by any means, I'd wonder the same thing if it were a recent-hardly used SAI loaded at the LGS.
Old 03-15-2019, 08:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by oodnoodn View Post
I think a JRA NM & loaded SAI are approximately equal. That said, why did the almost new JRA get traded in to the LGS; might you be acquiring somebody else's problem?

I'm not anti-JRA by any means, I'd wonder the same thing if it were a recent-hardly used SAI loaded at the LGS.
Good point. I made a fantastic deal on a transitional S&W 1917 at this LGS. they have a large inventory of new and used. Their used often comes from estate sales. Sometimes they over price, sometimes not. But when you buy used, you just never know. Iím in San Antonio, so you see extreme either way. They are tight lipped about history of the used though. Itís definitely a consideration, thanks for pointing that out. My coin flip may get weighted. Just not sure enough about JR. Itís a good looking rifle though, hard to turn away from.

That forged receiver keeps tugging at my sleeve for some reason.
Old 03-16-2019, 04:30 AM

I don't believe James River ever used cast receivers for their M14 repros.
They did use LRB and 7.62mm receivers for awhile but have settled on only Bula Defense System quality forged receivers for a number of years now.
RVN 67-68
Old 03-16-2019, 06:07 AM

If your considering buying a new SAI loaded it at least comes with a lifetime warranty.
JRA give 1 year to original owner.
Maybe thier older units are better/worse I dont know.
As for JRA I am still waiting on a call/email back from them on a Rock Ola M14 receiver issue,,,from nov 2018. So LRB is fixing it now.
Nowing what I know now and some of the problems I have had I would buy a new SAI just for the warranty or pony up some cash and go LRB or Fulton.
Old 03-16-2019, 09:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mac1911 View Post
If your considering buying a new SAI loaded it at least comes with a lifetime warranty.
As for JRA I am still waiting on a call/email back from them on a Rock Ola M14 receiver issue,,,from nov 2018. So LRB is fixing it now.
Nowing what I know now and some of the problems I have had I would buy a new SAI just for the warranty or pony up some cash and go LRB or Fulton.
What was the issue with the receiver? Iím surprised LRB would be willing to work on another manufacturerís receiver.
Old 03-16-2019, 09:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mac1911 View Post
Was this an LRB made receiver to start with that James River used to assemble the rifle?
RVN 67-68
Old 03-16-2019, 02:23 PM

Golf...............My JRA #602 while not in NM configuration is easily the equal of any of the service grade rifles I used during my Army time........including the NM versions. True, that the thing might not group with those NM rifles we used when I was shooting competitively but it is damned close, even with standard sights and a plated bbl.

From a quality/reliability perspective I cannot fault mine other than for finish, but that's another matter, performance wise it was truly worth the aggravation I went thru when I ordered it. (JR was making their move from Va. at the time).

Frankly, I'm glad that I did not order a loaded version from SA, even tho it would've been cheaper. I knew what I was looking for and I got it.
Old 03-16-2019, 06:32 PM

My standard JRA out shot by SA loaded. So I gave the lesser S.A. to my son. He's happy with it. The Bula is the better rifle build and better parts.

Last edited by bandofM1; 03-16-2019 at 06:52 PM.