Go Back   CMP Forums > CMP Sales > M1A/M14
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 03-16-2019, 07:01 PM

I own both a M1A National Match and a RockOla (which is the same bula receiver as the James River. Both have their good points but if I had to chose between them, then I'd take the Springfield Armory. Mine shoots better than the one with the Bula receiver.
Old 03-16-2019, 07:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Topkick View Post
I own both a M1A National Match and a RockOla (which is the same bula receiver as the James River. Both have their good points but if I had to chose between them, then I'd take the Springfield Armory. Mine shoots better than the one with the Bula receiver.
Barrels would be the determining factor on how a rifle shoots. Receivers are just there to hold the barrel in place.
How many rounds through each?
Takes at least a couple hundred to break in a barrel and smooth the action up.
RVN 67-68
Old 03-16-2019, 07:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nf1e View Post
Barrels would be the determining factor on how a rifle shoots. Receivers are just there to hold the barrel in place.
How many rounds through each?
Takes at least a couple hundred to break in a barrel and smooth the action up.
350 or so through each. RockOla (Bula) has all USGI TRW parts except for the Sadlak national match spring guide and the Springfield is a stainless steel national match. I believe it's the bedding, trigger work and attention to detail on the Springfield that makes it shoot better,. Just my opinion.
Old 03-17-2019, 04:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Topkick View Post
350 or so through each. RockOla (Bula) has all USGI TRW parts except for the Sadlak national match spring guide and the Springfield is a stainless steel national match. I believe it's the bedding, trigger work and attention to detail on the Springfield that makes it shoot better,. Just my opinion.
Rgr.
Seems , to me, that a match conditioned rifle is supposed to shoot better than a standard M14 reproduction. Makes total sense. If not, no one would bother putting the extra effort into creating the match rifle.
RVN 67-68
Old 03-17-2019, 04:58 PM

I have had a:

SA Loaded
SA National Match
JRA M14

MY JRA shoots as well as the other two.
Fit and finish is excellent.
Function has remained superior over the three years (This summer) that I have had it.
I really like the JRA an use it for my Modern Military rifle although I may not get to this year.

Highly recommend it!
Old 03-19-2019, 12:23 PM

A bit of an update.

I emailed JR asking if they could tell me about this rifle. They said it had been sold a year ago, and then they provided the specs and advertising blurb they usually include with those rifles. I noted that they included that it had a one year warranty, which of course is stated on their website.

It makes me a little suspicious that someone sold it to the shop right as it went out of warranty. Here's what bothers me about it.

Go over to AR-15.com and search "James River M1A blew up". Curious about this event, hard to tell what happened here. The OP isn't trying to blame anyone, just relating what happened, of course, there's lots of opinions on that forum. I would hate to be out of warranty and have that happen. Neither JR or Fiocchi would say what they thought caused it.
Old 03-19-2019, 01:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by M2MikeGolf View Post
A bit of an update.

I emailed JR asking if they could tell me about this rifle. They said it had been sold a year ago, and then they provided the specs and advertising blurb they usually include with those rifles. I noted that they included that it had a one year warranty, which of course is stated on their website.

It makes me a little suspicious that someone sold it to the shop right as it went out of warranty. Here's what bothers me about it.

Go over to AR-15.com and search "James River M1A blew up". Curious about this event, hard to tell what happened here. The OP isn't trying to blame anyone, just relating what happened, of course, there's lots of opinions on that forum. I would hate to be out of warranty and have that happen. Neither JR or Fiocchi would say what they thought caused it.

Just a note. James River does not and has never made and M1A to the best of my knowledge. Only SAI produces M1As.
If someone indeed did blow up a rifle, I would look first for the more common causes such as improperly loaded ammo or some obstruction in the bore. In most cases it has been found that the loader had mistakenly used pistol powder or inadvertently made a squib that was followed up with a good rnd after hand cycling.
As cautious as one can be, an occasional fool gets in the mix.
RVN 67-68
Old 03-19-2019, 08:41 PM

Read the story. Something happened, parts were replaced. No one will ever know why this happened.

I voided the warranties on my rifles the first time I shot them because I reload.

I think you should get the Springfield loaded, shoot tbe Fiocchi ammo and let us know how it goes
Old 03-19-2019, 09:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nf1e View Post
Just a note. James River does not and has never made and M1A to the best of my knowledge. Only SAI produces M1As.
If someone indeed did blow up a rifle, I would look first for the more common causes such as improperly loaded ammo or some obstruction in the bore. In most cases it has been found that the loader had mistakenly used pistol powder or inadvertently made a squib that was followed up with a good rnd after hand cycling.
As cautious as one can be, an occasional fool gets in the mix.
I had no part in writing any of that thread to include the misnomer of M1A. And if we want to get technical, no one makes an M14 anyway, unless purchased by some one with a class III license or the military. I merely relate the thread; thatís how he titled it.
Thereís no way to know exactly what happened as the evidence was removed, as the OP pointed out. But itís enough information to make me suspicious. It was factory fiocchi that the OP used.
Iíve seen enough case head separations, I spent 24 years in the mech infantry and practically lived on live fire ranges, and I never saw one that looked like the photo in that thread. I wonít say it was out of battery or a bad chamber, but itís enough to cause concern to me.
I suggest you read that thread.
Old 03-20-2019, 05:59 AM

Rgr. on all. As was posted, no one will ever know for sure. Ship happens.
Thanks for your service.
RVN 67-68