Go Back   CMP Forums > CMP Sales > M1A/M14
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 09-25-2020, 02:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pmclaine View Post
Builder name appears to be "Fisher"......Gus Fisher?
In the 1989-91 timeframe there was a USMC rifle team armorer named Tim Fisher (or Fischer?).

He is the man I was talking about in my earlier post.
“After all is said and done, successful rifle shooting on the range is nothing more than first finding a rifle and lot of ammunition which will do precisely the same thing shot after shot, and then developing the same skill in the rifleman.” ~ Capt. E. C. Crossman (Book of the Springfield)
Old 09-25-2020, 06:01 PM

I think Tim Fischer was the builder. He is considered one of the handful of master USMC M14 builders...
Old 09-25-2020, 07:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Random Guy View Post
I think Tim Fischer was the builder. He is considered one of the handful of master USMC M14 builders...
Wow.

Small world.

It about 1990 when I met him at the Nationals. I was not shooting that day and bumped into him behind one of the ranges where this is a line of trees and some benches. Guess he had some down time too because we talked for quite a while.

He told me about some work they had done to see what it took to blow up an M14. He would not say why. Could be it was something to do with the development of the LR ammo? Said they never blew a receiver apart but locked bolts and warped receivers. Said they had some loads so compressed the bullet would pop out of the case.
“After all is said and done, successful rifle shooting on the range is nothing more than first finding a rifle and lot of ammunition which will do precisely the same thing shot after shot, and then developing the same skill in the rifleman.” ~ Capt. E. C. Crossman (Book of the Springfield)
Old 11-12-2020, 09:48 PM

PROJECT UPDATE: I just received my latest M1A project back from the builder, and I don’t have a range report yet, but I took some pics for anyone interested in this build. The goal of this project was to build a close replica a USMC double-lugged, heavy-barrel, match M14 from the mid-1990s. Accuracy Speaks in AZ professionally bedded it in MarineTex last month. I do not have a range report yet, and unfortunately I will not be able to shoot this iron-sighted rifle to its full potential given my sub-optimal middle-age eyesight and overall skill level, but I do intend to enjoy it at the range from time to time. Weight with a sling and an empty magazine is 13 lb 7 ozs.

Below are the parts used for a replica of a 1995-96 USMC Match M14 rifle. (Starting at front of rifle).

• USGI flash hider reamed to NM specs
• USGI NM front sight - modified by the USMC to be very short and very thin for 1000 yard event. (It's about 0.031" wide and half the height of a normal NM sight)
• NM/Unitized gas cylinder (welded internally)
• Barrel – Vintage Barnett heavy weight ‘USMC REV 1’ match barrel w/ June, 1995 date (headspace is 1631". A Manson M852 Match reamer was used)
• USGI gas piston (lightly polished)
• NM spring guide (USGI style fabricated two piece drill rod, finish is left in the white)
• Recoil spring – New silicon spring
• USGI handguard (Note: handguard clip and front of handguard at stock ferrule was bedded with Hysol, the off-white substance seen, as done on the original USMC match rifles)
• USGI (TRW) bolt w/ USGI internals (Bolt inscribed on the bottom with serial # of original USMC match M14)
• USGI (SA) op-rod (modified by USMC with clearance cut for double-lugged receiver. Tab rebuilt)
• USGI trigger group with USGI parts – (match trigger job, with 3 serial #s stenciled on side)
• Springfield Armory Inc. receiver (95k serial block, with front and rear lugs welded on)
• Rear sight – USGI ‘NM’ base w/ ‘M’ pinion & hooded NM rear aperture (USMC take-off part with polished aperture track)
• McMillian M1A fiberglass match stock with forest camo pattern. Likely early to mid-1990s era based on camouflage pattern. (Old rack sticker “24” was found on rear buttplate).
• USGI M14 selector lock w/ related faux parts (Note the selector lock has been welded-up like they did on the real NM M14s)
• Sling – USGI 1907 (MRT date is May 1995)
(I also have a USMC Weapon book filled out by the builder re specs, but it is being mailed back separately).

Right side:

Faux selector lock with welded lock, and USGI match sights:

Barrel stamping ('RTE' = Rifle Team Equipment, and 'P' is for the Proof round testing):

Left side:

Front lug torque screw (serial # of original USMC match M14 seen on bottom of TRW bolt):

Rear lug torque screw:

Long range front sight (reportedly this is the USMC's 1,000 yard match front sight - its very thin and short!):

Welded front swivel:

Buttstock with vintage rack number "24" on buttplate:

Just a random post for anyone interested in this replica build.

Last edited by Random Guy; 11-13-2020 at 08:55 AM.
Old 11-12-2020, 10:02 PM

Great Rifle RG! To be clear Accuracy Speaks in AZ only did the bedding and not the build, correct?
Old 11-12-2020, 10:11 PM

Thanks. To your question, yes, the welded-on lugs, refinishing the receiver, etc, and the barrel install w/ bolt lapping, and gas cylinder fitting, etc, was not done by Accuracy Speaks. They bedded it and threaded the lugs, but the rifle and various mods were done by 3+ individuals, one of whom works at Accuracy Speaks, but the other two are located nearby in AZ. McMillian Fiberglass Stocks also did some light restoration of the old USMC take-off stock which had some storage dings, and of course many parts were modified by USMC precision armorers way back in the day (1990s). The op rod was modified by the USMC for a double-lugged rifle, and I had the worn op rod tab restored in Ohio by Columbus Tool & Die, etc. It was definitely a team effort.

Last edited by Random Guy; 11-13-2020 at 08:56 AM.
Old 11-12-2020, 10:13 PM

Very COOL team project!
Old 11-13-2020, 05:34 AM

Very nice.
RVN 67-68