Go Back   CMP Forums > CMP Sales > M1A/M14
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 09-21-2020, 09:27 PM

Default CMI Magazine I Think

Okay, I recently bought three M14 magazines on GB. I could see that two were correct Westinghouse W marked. The third was also marked W, but much further up on the back, almost halfway to the latch plate. There were not good pics of the latch plates on any of them, but I went ahead and bid on them anyway. When I received them, I was surprised to see that the third mag was clearly made by Checkmate, with the weld pattern and horizontal line that distinguishes them. I figured it was one of the W marked fakes that are all over the place, and I had mistakenly bought years ago, but this one is new to me. When did Checkmate resort to putting on fake maker marks, or is this something that some faker dreamed up? If CMI made them, how common are they? First one I have ever seen. Anyone know anything about these? I managed to download one image on Imgur.
Thanks, Bill

https://imgur.com/W6RWjGI

Last edited by 2908; 09-21-2020 at 09:58 PM.
Old 09-22-2020, 07:43 AM

Probably a CMI. The horizontal line on the latch plate is usually a CMI trait.
Old 09-22-2020, 08:09 AM

I have several BRW S-1 marked mags that are CMI mags. I have read about them doing some W marked mags, but haven't seen them in person. Westinghouse mags are hard to buy, because there are a lot of fakes out there.

I'm somewhat of a new collector, but I have been doing a lot of research lately and the only manufacturer (that I know of) with the horizontal line on the latch plate is CMI.

If you haven't downloaded it already I highly recommend Lee "Different" Emerson's book. You can download it for free on lulu.com.

https://www.lulu.com/en/us/shop/lee-...-22539324.html