Go Back   CMP Forums > CMP Sales > Smallbore
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 03-30-2021, 08:26 PM

Calfed, Do you remember me, “Bigbird” I’m the one sold you that replacement stock some years ago. Now I finally get to see your 40XB. I was on my high school ROTC rifle Team back in 1961-62 and we had both the Rem. 513T and the Rem. 40X that we used in matches and we were matched against teams that used the Win. 52D. I don’t know if the 40X is more accurate than the 52D but I don’t recall ever losing to those teams but then again we may have simply had better shooters. I will say this, I have always thought that the 40X was the smoothest and most accurate target rifle I have ever fired.

BTW, that stock on your rifle looks about like what the replacement stock looked like before I reconditioned it. You will be surprised what a wet washcloth and a hot iron will do to eliminate those dings in the wood of your 40X rifle stock. I didn’t use any sand paper on the one I sold you. I just steamed the stock and hand rubbed the stock with linseed oil.

Last edited by bigbird; 03-30-2021 at 08:49 PM.
Old 03-30-2021, 09:35 PM

Back in the good old days, CMP had an in-store "bolt gun sale". Cost me a fortune. I came home with a 40XB, 52D, 514T, 541X, KRAG, 1903, consecutive serial M82Gs (still in boxes) and an 1813 Anschutz Super Match. I put a Weaver 36x on the Anschutz and after shooting that, the others have just sat in the safe! One of these days I am going to shoot the rest.
Old 03-31-2021, 03:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigbird View Post
Calfed, Do you remember me, ďBigbirdĒ Iím the one sold you that replacement stock some years ago. Now I finally get to see your 40XB. I was on my high school ROTC rifle Team back in 1961-62 and we had both the Rem. 513T and the Rem. 40X that we used in matches and we were matched against teams that used the Win. 52D. I donít know if the 40X is more accurate than the 52D but I donít recall ever losing to those teams but then again we may have simply had better shooters. I will say this, I have always thought that the 40X was the smoothest and most accurate target rifle I have ever fired.

BTW, that stock on your rifle looks about like what the replacement stock looked like before I reconditioned it. You will be surprised what a wet washcloth and a hot iron will do to eliminate those dings in the wood of your 40X rifle stock. I didnít use any sand paper on the one I sold you. I just steamed the stock and hand rubbed the stock with linseed oil.
Hey, BB! I do remember and have to admit that I'm embarrassed that you sold me that fine stock and I still haven't mounted it.
You did a fantastic job on it.
Old 03-31-2021, 03:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by col b View Post
Back in the good old days, CMP had an in-store "bolt gun sale". Cost me a fortune. I came home with a 40XB, 52D, 514T, 541X, KRAG, 1903, consecutive serial M82Gs (still in boxes) and an 1813 Anschutz Super Match. I put a Weaver 36x on the Anschutz and after shooting that, the others have just sat in the safe! One of these days I am going to shoot the rest.

LOL...you won't get any criticism from me ...
Old 03-31-2021, 03:24 PM

Bigbird...I was so embarrassed that you caught me not having swapped out my 40X to that nice stock you sold me, I dropped everything and made the swap.

It looks fantastic!

Old 03-31-2021, 03:58 PM

That’s a really fine looking rifle. I hope it shoots as good as it looks.
My 40XHB likes Wolf Match Target ammo the Best.

Last edited by bigbird; 03-31-2021 at 04:01 PM.
Old 03-31-2021, 04:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigbird View Post
That’s a really fine looking rifle. I hope it shoots as good as it looks.
My 40XHB likes Wolf Match Target ammo the Best.

It is fine looking due in no small part to the stock which you cleaned up and sold me!

It shoots pretty well.

What's the gouge on setting the stock bedding screws on these stocks? I backed them both out so that the barrel is free floated for now.

Thanks again...that stock you redid is a beauty.

Last edited by Calfed; 04-01-2021 at 10:20 AM.
Old 04-01-2021, 05:38 PM

Actually your shooting the 40X the same way I have for many years. When I was on the rifle team in high school my team instructor was an 82nd Airborne WWII vet and he was adamant about us not using those adjustment screws during matches. He would either use a dollar bill to slide under the barrel between the the stock and barrel or he would use a multimeter to make sure there wasnít any contact between the screws and the barrel. He always told us that we were better shooters with the rifles set up that way. Now I really donít know if he was just BSín us or maybe trying to make us feel that the other teams werenít good enough to out shoot us. HA HA.