Go Back   CMP Forums > CMP Sales > M1A/M14
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 02-03-2021, 08:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by krdomingue View Post
True a little dated, but my response was limited to Automatic weapons. 1911s are not in question. While I can't sight you a source, because I don't care enough to go to the trouble, I am pretty sure the government stance on surplus automatic weapons has not changed.
I agree with Gewehr 43 relative to M14ís. The Army, Navy, Marine Corps, Air Force and Coast Guard all began using M14 variants starting around 2000. They certainly werenít scrapping any serviceable M14ís after that time.
Old 02-03-2021, 09:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by krdomingue View Post
True a little dated, but my response was limited to Automatic weapons. 1911s are not in question. While I can't sight you a source, because I don't care enough to go to the trouble, I am pretty sure the government stance on surplus automatic weapons has not changed.
You care to post a controversial and disputed comment but don't care to go to the trouble to provide a citation. Nice.

I stopped at the article, no need to watch a video. There is no need to completely destroy are receiver, the BATFE regs on this are well known. But hey, popular mechanics wrote it, they must know what they are talking about.

Just where did all the M14 parts kits come from (not just the ones CMP was selling) if the govt had to grind up all the parts? M16 part kits.......

JH

Zvenoman's Feedback Thread

Last edited by ZvenoMan; 02-04-2021 at 09:17 AM.
Old 02-03-2021, 09:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rickgman View Post
I agree with Gewehr 43 relative to M14’s. The Army, Navy, Marine Corps, Air Force and Coast Guard all began using M14 variants starting around 2000. They certainly weren’t scrapping any serviceable M14’s after that time.
Yes and that is my point here.....

Does the US Military destroy obsolete and unserviceable weapons/parts?
Yes, I'm sure they do.
But with the intervention by Conservatives in the Federal Govt.... they stopped destroying rifles like the M1 and M14 and pistols like the M1911's since I believe the mid-90's.
Since 2000 or so the M14 were refurbished and sent to units.
So No..... certainly since then they have not been destroying "good" M14's.

As far as the original comment about M14's - true M14's- being sold to Civilians ....... that ship sailed about 1970 or so.......
And no reason at all to think that will change.....

Though ironically there are some (alot?) true M14's out there.......
And for quite a while their prices didn't take off like other full-autos.
Even now they can be bought relatively cheap.............

Last edited by Gewehr43; 02-03-2021 at 09:42 PM.
Old 02-04-2021, 08:23 AM

I won’t wade too far into this thread, but no need to “dream” about CMP selling M14s, not going to happen anymore than CMP selling any other obsolete machine guns like an M60. There are select fire SAI M1As (made prior to 1986) on gunbroker from time to time, just need a deep pocket to buy one for $10k or $15k. (There is one listed right now for less than $10k). Transferable select fire weapons are expensive, and generally getting more expensive over time.

Secondly, my understanding is the US Army doesn’t intend to field M14s again given the 6k new SDM 7.62 rifles from H&K are the replacement platform. Thus rather than keeping the serviceable ones in reserve, they are now being sold off via our Foreign Military Sales program. I read that Estonia is buying some of our refurbished M14 EBRs, and perhaps a couple of other countries, but I don’t have confirmation. (I suspect mostly Eastern European countries, but perhaps others). The U.S. Army's ceremonial guard unit, such as seen at Tomb of the Unknown Solider, still uses M14s, but I read that is the last Army unit issued M14s. The Navy still uses some M14s, etc. (Not sure if the Coast Guard still uses them, but possibly).

Anyhow, it doesn’t make any sense to think that CMP is ever going to sell M14s anymore than it does to think they will sell obsolete M16s or M60s from the Vietnam era....ain’t happening. That’s precisely why SAI, Fulton, Bula, LRB, JRA and others were formed and have sold hundreds of thousands of M1As for the past several decades - to meet market demand for a semi-auto version of that old military rifle...(and some form of warranty typically exists from these commercial manufactures).

Last edited by Random Guy; 02-04-2021 at 09:18 AM.
Old 02-04-2021, 08:33 AM

I am more interested in thompson part kits.
Old 02-04-2021, 08:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fogtripper View Post
You may need to make a trip to Russia for that. I hear there a bunch left over from the ones we gave them.
RVN 67-68
Old 02-04-2021, 09:09 AM

Quote:
I have no special insights, but my guess is all the old and obsolete Thompson SMGs were likely de-militarized decades ago, perhaps the 1970s-80s. I could be wrong, but I would be surprised if CMP had any parts kits for such an old platform, given they were not kept in reserve like the M14 main battle rifles were. (I wonder if M14 parts from de-milled M14s were kept in inventory partly for reserve/preservation purposes - given that 15 or 20 years ago the Army had almost 100k M14 rifles listed in inventory as serviceable weapons ("condition A"), but keeping/stockpiling WWII era Thompson parts likely had little to no strategic value by the 1970s.) I have no special insights as to what is stored at Anniston, but my guess is the ship sailed a long time ago regarding de-milled Thompsons...(unless the Russians decide to return whatever we loaned them 75 or 80 years ago that hasn't rusted away - or quietly sold off in the 1990s following the collapse of the Soviet Union and related 'fire-sales' of state assets and/or quasi-state assets...).

Last edited by Random Guy; 02-04-2021 at 01:47 PM.
Old 02-04-2021, 11:09 AM

There was an older distinguished British gentleman at the Nations Gun show in Chantilly VA a few years ago selling Thompson parts. He told me they came from Russian surplus Thompsons he had purchased and had imported to England. He disassembled the Thompson's and legally imported the parts less receivers to the States. Believe this was before the barrel importation ban. He added that all of the receivers were in his basement in the UK, they were the only parts he could have there. He has since passed away so no idea what came of the receivers or the remaining parts.

Remember all the Russian repackaged .45 ACP ammo a few years ago also? It came from the same shipments to the Russians in WW II. They took all the ammo out of US original packaging put them in plain boxes and Russian style ammo cans that required that "can opener" to unseal them. I shot a lot of that ammo in IDPA matches until it got way too expensive to buy. Guess it all got purchased and shot up because didn't see it during the Obama ammo frenzy time frame, It was all early WW II brass case ammo. I am still reloading the brass

Airborne,
Mark

Last edited by SpearheadOrd; 02-04-2021 at 11:16 AM.
Old 03-29-2021, 12:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HoosierBuddy View Post
I thought this through to the point of figuring out a price point.

The 1911 program is selling service grade handguns at 1050 vs Colt's MSRP on a 1911 Classic (new) of $800...so 30% more than a common modern example of the same gun.

If instead we use the SA Standard M1A price point of $1700...that "backs in" to a service grade price of about $2250 per rifle. If it costs $500 per rifle to inspect, modify (once we get the whole "NOT ALLOWED BY BATF" out of the way LOL), process orders and ship....then if 5000 rifles could be processed per year that would create a net cash flow of +$8.75 Million per year for around 15 years...or $130 Million in total....and that's a conservative estimate.

Just sayin.

Step 1 is finding a congressman and a senator and explaining the dream to them.

Phil
It's truly only a dream Phil.
Itll never happen.

We'll be lucky to keep what we have now

Quote:
Originally Posted by cdj7097 View Post
If you cut off the auto lug you have an M14/M1A. Which shows the agenda of denying the public more rifles. The "once rule" really shows the stupidity of the ruling. That lug and another small cut on the receiver as we all know is the only thing that seperates the M1A from the M14, with exception of course of the dangerous receiver markings.
Preaching to the choir

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gewehr43 View Post
Yes and that is my point here.....

Does the US Military destroy obsolete and unserviceable weapons/parts?
Yes, I'm sure they do.
But with the intervention by Conservatives in the Federal Govt.... they stopped destroying rifles like the M1 and M14 and pistols like the M1911's since I believe the mid-90's.
Since 2000 or so the M14 were refurbished and sent to units.
So No..... certainly since then they have not been destroying "good" M14's.

As far as the original comment about M14's - true M14's- being sold to Civilians ....... that ship sailed about 1970 or so.......
And no reason at all to think that will change.....

Though ironically there are some (alot?) true M14's out there.......
And for quite a while their prices didn't take off like other full-autos.
Even now they can be bought relatively cheap.............
The last grandfathered M14 I saw sell was many years ago and it went fo 27000.00.
Not exactly cheap and trust me, they are few and far between
Old 03-30-2021, 01:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by navyrifleman View Post
The most accurate high power rifle I ever shot was my National Match M-14. I was still on active duty and the rifle was issued to me from the Naval Weapons Center at Crane, Indiana where their match armorers had produced it from an issue rifle.

The selector switch had been permanently altered or disabled, so there was no full automatic mode available.

It had an oversize walnut stock that had been quarter sawn, so the grain seen from the side was tight and straight. Of course it had been glass bedded. The barrel was a heavy stainless steel match one. Sights looked like the issue type, but were of Match grade with interim clicks. There were other modifications also to make it a very tight gun.

We used the leather issue slings which were always new and NOT oiled. Magazines were new issue 20 round types which were marked for use with 2 or eight rounds in the timed fire events.

The rifle was on the heavy side when compared to a hunting rifle or even an issue M-14, but what a tack driver!

Also shot an issue match grade 14 in competition while in the Army in early '60's...our rifles fit your general description, but were not permanently modified to SA...stocks were glassed, sights were NM. Notably the bores were not plated.

As you say, rifles were damned good shooters and it was no real chore to hold center at 100 meters offhand.........in point of fact it got to be a game to shoot the spotting disk on a center hit.

Frankly, I'm only sorry that I could not figure out how to swipe mine as it damned well would be on my wall now........notably, we were forbidden to break down ours for cleaning...just the stock bore wipe and turn her in.

Quote:
Originally Posted by cdj7097 View Post
If you cut off the auto lug you have an M14/M1A. Which shows the agenda of denying the public more rifles. The "once rule" really shows the stupidity of the ruling. That lug and another small cut on the receiver as we all know is the only thing that seperates the M1A from the M14, with exception of course of the dangerous receiver markings.
You forgot to mention the 'slice' cut on the receiver (front receiver underside) for the operating trip rod and the 'tit' on the sear's right side.