Go Back   CMP Forums > CMP Sales > M1A/M14
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 12-22-2020, 07:14 PM

Default Found a Study of the M14 in Vietnam

FWIW........
Sortta odd the Army conducted the Study but had 83? Marines answer?

Not alot of respondents but ........ ?

Also done in 1967.......

https://apps.dtic.mil/dtic/tr/fulltext/u2/649517.pdf
Old 12-22-2020, 08:03 PM

Thank you. Interesting read.
Old 12-22-2020, 09:56 PM

I need to zero at 200 yards and carry at least 200 rounds.
Very good information, Thank-You.
Old 12-23-2020, 10:09 AM

I have read this report and it comes of no surprise regarding comments on M14. First, I carried a M14 in Panama (on equator in dense jungles, rains all the time) and corrosion was an issue but the weapon always functioned. While that was Jungle School and not combat, the conditions mirrored Viet Nam exactly.

Secondly, I lived the life as a prime mover of the M16 in I Corps, RVN. THe time period of the Marines reporting in this report was Monsoon Season 66 which is not unlike Monsoon season 69 which my Infantry platoon had to occasion to enjoy. All the drama of wet conditions on gear and weapons I saw first hand. The M16 was better for those conditions as I could compare that to what I experienced in Panama with M14. All the negative things in this report about weight were the same...thankfully we had 556 ammo that weighed less and carried more of it because in Monsoon, your re supply birds did not fly, you had what you had ...so being able to carry more ammo which weighed less was an advantage.

This is not to say there were not times I wished I had a 762 Nato caliber rifle and I did day dream of cutting a M14 barrel and having what today is Springfield M1A Scout ....but
there was no way I could have done such a modification. We lived in the bush the entire year long tour, the 101st Abn Division kept us "gainfully employed".

As to why the report used Marines, I can only surmise I Corps was the hottest AO in 1966-67 as in that time period the NVA were stacking units there. Doesn't really matter, Marine or Army Infantry would tell you the same answers under those conditions.

PS: Monsoon Season in I Corps, is damned cold plus being always soaking wet. Any Infantry grunt will tell you it really sucked ! Miserable conditions but in no way worse than the cold of WWII and Korean War Infantry had to endure ...their conditions were catastrophic.
Old 12-23-2020, 11:06 AM

A couple of quotes on pages 10 and 11 sums it up well circa Vietnam 1966:

Quote:
I think we should have a weapon as accurate as the M14 if not more that wouldn't rust as easy as the M14.

Wood on rifle stocks for M14 is swelling too muck in rain. After taking rifle apart It Is impossible to put it back together without drying the stock first.

AR 15's are outstanding for jungle fighting.

Need a weapon which would stand-up under a very hard beating. The M 14 is not strong enough made for Jungle fighting (my translation: it rusted too much/too easily in Vietnam), But in the open terrain the M-14 is a very good weapon.
Short engagement distances in the jungle with wet monsoon climate favors the M16 (in full auto mode) - vs long engagement distances in open terrain without all the moisture issues favors the M14 (in semi-auto mode).

Last edited by Random Guy; 12-29-2020 at 12:38 PM.
Old 12-23-2020, 11:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Random Guy View Post
. . . .Short engagement distances in the jungle with wet monsoon climate favors the M16 - vs long engagement distances in open terrain without all the moisture issues favors the M14.
In other words, best compromise would be an AR type in .308 cal.?

Already been done . . . .shoulda’ been adopted long ago.
Old 12-23-2020, 03:08 PM

There are a lot of different opinions posted there in the report:
What I find interesting is that they are "from the moment" and from field soldiers.....

If you read the responses to question:
#5 Normally, how far away is the enemy when you shoot? ..... the respondents figured only 15% of their engagements were over 300yds.
#17 Which would you rather have?..... only 1% wanted "more distance." 71% wanted "more accurate rifle."

One post is this: "...
Smaller caliber than the 7.62 NATO but larger than the M16 with more
accuracy. Ilhe weapon should be made of a more rust resistant alloy...…"

Last edited by Gewehr43; 12-23-2020 at 03:16 PM.
Old 12-24-2020, 01:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gewehr43 View Post
Which would you rather have?..... only 1% wanted "more distance." 71% wanted "more accurate rifle."
Since the rifle being evaluated was the M14, I am not surprised that only an insignificant amount of respondents felt they needed greater range. I am actually surprised that such a large percentage felt they wanted more accuracy. At that point in time, the M14 was superior to the M16 in terms of accuracy. The M16/M16A1 had very lame sights.
Old 12-26-2020, 09:19 AM

Just a note to current generation of M1A or M1 Rifle owners. In military service the wood stocks would swell. Take a rain drenched such rifle, tear it down to clean it and that stock is going to have to dry out before trigger assembly will go back in fully.

Just a comment of what we knew back when the Infantry carried these models in all weather conditions.
Old 12-26-2020, 09:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by milprileb View Post
Just a note to current generation of M1A or M1 Rifle owners. In military service the wood stocks would swell. Take a rain drenched such rifle, tear it down to clean it and that stock is going to have to dry out before trigger assembly will go back in fully.

Just a comment of what we knew back when the Infantry carried these models in all weather conditions.
Interesting to know!

Sent from my SM-N975U using Tapatalk