Go Back   CMP Forums > CMP Sales > M1A/M14
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 01-29-2021, 08:45 PM

Default E2 stock value

I picked this up with a large lot of carbine parts and had no idea what it was till a friend told me it was an E2 for an M14/M1A. Can any one give me an idea as to value? It also came with what looks like a plastic hand guard.
https://photos.app.goo.gl/UpXmT6Nz8bsf6ZX3A
Old 01-29-2021, 08:53 PM

Send a message via AIM to Shomway

Might be a starting point....
http://forums.thecmp.org/showthread.php?t=275948
Old 01-29-2021, 09:41 PM

Thanks for the help and comments. The wood is pretty wish it was an M1 Carbine stock.
Old 01-29-2021, 09:41 PM

Wow. I'm not worthy of placing a value!
Old 01-30-2021, 07:44 AM

Ken-
Keep it! Will bring a premium at Louisville SOS.
Old 01-30-2021, 01:43 PM

$750 - $1,000 if the striping is genuine and not created.

www.m14br.com

www.sparrowhawkm14.com
Old 01-30-2021, 02:44 PM

That E2 is much nicer than the one I have for my M1A project. I wish I had a similar M1 Carbine stock as trade fodder, instead of just Carbine bayonets. If you sell it please keep me in mind. Thxs.
Old 01-30-2021, 03:11 PM

Striping Is genuine. You can see it follows the same pattern inside the stock in areas where it would be impossible to duplicate. I wish it was a carbine stock instead but maybe it's a good reason to get an M1A.
Old 01-30-2021, 05:09 PM

Well, I must say I like that birch E2 stock more than my walnut version. I am building a replica of a Vietnam era "Improvised M14 sniper rifle" with the little M84 scope and AWC mount. The rifle I am building is a tirbute of the one that Chuck Karwan carried in 1970-71, and it is now part of the West Point collection. Here's a pic from a book by Peter Senich:

I recently found an original scope mount like that one. I have a walnut E2 stock with hardware, but its plain looking. That birch stock you have with figure would be far more visually interesting, and I would like to take it off you hands if you don't have a rifle for it. (I have a complete M1A action sitting in the safe for my project, just need to find the scope rings and one more M84 to have it completed).

I am not an M1 Carbine collector (I have only 1 of them) and don't have any stocks for them, but I have collected 3 or 4 Carbine bayonets over time, as seen on the bottom left of this pic:

1. M4- Imperial (no date) w/ M8 shealth (with patina) - M1 Carbine bayonet –WWII leather handle
2. M4- Aerial w/ M8A1 sheath - M1 Carbine bayonet –post WWII plastic handle
3. M4- TMN w/ M8A1 sheath - M1 Carbine bayonet –post WWII plastic handle

This is the early/WWII version with some nice original patina and a nice grip (the others are from the 1950s and might be arsenal refinished as they lack this kind of patina):

Here's my 4th M4 bayonet, this was made TMN (circa 1954?). The other TMN, third from the left in above pic, looks NOS and is probably an arsenal refinish):

...so that's about the only M1 Carbine trade fodder that I have toward that E2 stock. Food for thought. (My local collector buddy has some loose M1 Carbine stocks, but I don't have any pics of them).

Last edited by Random Guy; 01-30-2021 at 06:06 PM.
Old 01-30-2021, 06:06 PM

The stock has some beautiful figuring - no doubt; however, finding original hardware will be as costly as the stock or more if you can find it. The only other option is to find reproduction hardware or get one of the kits at TreelineM14 (which does not give you the original look).

The values being discussed above (considering no original hardware or repo hardware [other than the front plate] being included is pretty steep even considering the beautiful figuring IMHO. The most valuable M14E2 stocks I have seen are the walnut stocks that were actually built into rifles with the DAS & Proof P - stamps. The birch stocks (like this one came later) and do not have the proof P or DAS markings (unless someone (non-USGI) did some stamping). The Birch unissued M14E2 stocks with the front plate only can be purchased in the $345 - $400 range. The beautiful figuring will bring more value/premium but not double unless the right buyer just wants to pay up and already bought or has original hardware to use.

The figuring is elite for sure and you have an excellent find in the package you received.

Congratulations - M1Army