Go Back   CMP Forums > CMP Sales > M1A/M14
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 05-03-2012, 12:13 PM

If the kits looked anything like I saw then you will not be happy. I stood there very disappointed yesterday. Can I look at another 4 please. They were sealed up so it wasn't as if someone else had already passed on it and I was looking at all the dregs. They got more into inventory. I heard the staff talking it over.

The op-rod tabs were absolutely trashed on 85%+ of them and rust was often present with subsequent pitting. One out of 12 was OK and the GCs all had micro-pitting which I can't stand. At this price point the parts should be very nice. No firing pins in any of the kits I looked through.

I sent Orest a PM explaining the issues I saw. Some of the op-rods would have required a retab. Grade A description did not fit what I saw in the least. One M1A build instead of two for me unless I can get another decent kit. I don't mind having them reparked, but I want usable parts.

Last edited by hammonje; 05-03-2012 at 12:16 PM.
Old 05-03-2012, 12:56 PM

Well, on the bright side... If it comes in that condition at least the lack of a firing pin will give me an excuse to send it back.
Old 05-03-2012, 01:04 PM

I am really torn. I wanted to order an A parts kit, then they sold out, then I was kicking myself, now they're back, one delivered looks great, the others spoken of are not even close to great, now a load of people are biting their nails, oh the drama is killing me and i don;t even give a shibby about the lack of firing pin anyway!!!

This thread is driving me to drink..........
Old 05-03-2012, 01:19 PM

Just relax I have seen a number of these kits in the past year some are great some are well not so great. But I can say this CMP has always put there customer first. So breath and relax then post what you get for all to see here. Everyone who got a kit please post picks show the pos and the neg. Help people see what to expect and what your out come was.
Old 05-03-2012, 01:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dlk51 View Post
Everyone who got a kit please post picks show the pos and the neg. Help people see what to expect and what your out come was.
How far back do you want to go, and does this include hand-picks or mail-order only? The REALLY nice kits apparently were sold for the most part up until last year, with all-matching kits other than HRA. I've gotten two kits in the past six months - one mail-order which was fairly nice, and one hand-pick which was very nice.

Please leave feedback here: http://forums.thecmp.org/showthread.php?t=33711
Old 05-03-2012, 02:00 PM

post all with some info

received date:
Hand picked or mail order
Manufacture:
Over all grade: A through F
What you liked:
What you did not like:

Last edited by dlk51; 05-03-2012 at 07:35 PM.
Old 05-03-2012, 02:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hammonje View Post
If the kits looked anything like I saw then you will not be happy. I stood there very disappointed yesterday. Can I look at another 4 please. They were sealed up so it wasn't as if someone else had already passed on it and I was looking at all the dregs. They got more into inventory. I heard the staff talking it over.

The op-rod tabs were absolutely trashed on 85%+ of them and rust was often present with subsequent pitting. One out of 12 was OK and the GCs all had micro-pitting which I can't stand. At this price point the parts should be very nice. No firing pins in any of the kits I looked through.

I sent Orest a PM explaining the issues I saw. Some of the op-rods would have required a retab. Grade A description did not fit what I saw in the least. One M1A build instead of two for me unless I can get another decent kit. I don't mind having them reparked, but I want usable parts.
I have to imagine they are down to the dregs. I'm glad I didn't order another one, and happy my last one was in pretty nice shape, outside of a bent flash hider (they replaced), badly chipped hammer (they are replacing), and a Trigger housing with a badly peened key (I will live with that)
Old 05-03-2012, 02:27 PM

I just recently got a kit from the North Store (early March/late February). It was extremely nice. I looked at 2 of them. Did not want a birch stock but metal condition was more important to me as M14 stocks are cheap and everywhere at shows around here.
I got a HRA (which is all they had I believe) and everything is super nice. Rear sight, op rod, and trigger group all 98%. Op rod has very square tab. Gas cylinder also very nice.

There was not a single part that needed to be refinished. I cleaned up a couple parts with just Kroil and a patch.

I purchased a HRA barrel from Ohio Ordnance and already had a bolt. Purchased a receiver from Fulton Armory and put her together. It came out very well.
I will try to get a couple pics tonight and post on the M14 section.
Old 05-03-2012, 03:18 PM

Pick me one out Ernie!!!!!! I would love to have one more nice kit.
Old 05-03-2012, 10:50 PM

Me too, Ernie!!!