Go Back   CMP Forums > CMP Sales > M1A/M14
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 12-29-2014, 08:58 PM

Default Winchester M14

http://s1052.photobucket.com/user/bu...%20%201%20flaw
Old 12-30-2014, 08:17 AM

Had me going there bubb2...
Almost looks like it could be fixed. But not legally.
Looks nice all the same.
SMAWman
Old 01-08-2015, 12:10 AM
Banned

Default My pair of M14s

Last edited by H2O MAN; 01-19-2015 at 08:26 AM.
Old 01-18-2015, 10:40 PM

Here are two pics I took several years ago of my issued M14. When I got the rifle, it was practically brand new, with no wear on any of the park. It was cleaned of grease by the armorer and issued to me with three magazines. I cleaned it again, and lubed it up before loading the issued Federal 168 grain Gold Match and going to work.

When I got the rifle, it had a walnut stock. One day another guy had to use my car last second, and did not unload my rifle or gear from the trunk. He got rear ended, and the original walnut stock was broken. So a used, replacment birch stock was pulled from stores and given to me.

I carried "Blondie" for years, passing her off to a guy who needed a rifle. I had my M1A, as well as a Colt 6720, and didn't need it as much as he did. She soldiers on still.

Blondie is an H&R Arms M14. When I got it, it had selector switch installed. It was fun, but completely uncontrollable beyond 2-3 rounds. It was a lot of fun to unhook the sling, stand on it and fire a magazine off from the hip into a car door. The selector was removed and replaced with the lock-out after about a year.

Sorry for the poor pictures. I was not and am still not a photographer. But it's a picture of a genuine M14 that's still in service. I don't have any of the modified M1A Scout I use now.

I can say this though, there is a definite difference in perceived quality between an M1A and a genuine M14. The M1A is nice, but nothing like a brand new GI spec M14. Shame that we can't all own one. I wish I could.
Old 01-22-2015, 04:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CW Mock View Post
Here are two pics I took several years ago of my issued M14. When I got the rifle, it was practically brand new, with no wear on any of the park. It was cleaned of grease by the armorer and issued to me with three magazines. I cleaned it again, and lubed it up before loading the issued Federal 168 grain Gold Match and going to work.

When I got the rifle, it had a walnut stock. One day another guy had to use my car last second, and did not unload my rifle or gear from the trunk. He got rear ended, and the original walnut stock was broken. So a used, replacment birch stock was pulled from stores and given to me.

I carried "Blondie" for years, passing her off to a guy who needed a rifle. I had my M1A, as well as a Colt 6720, and didn't need it as much as he did. She soldiers on still.

Blondie is an H&R Arms M14. When I got it, it had selector switch installed. It was fun, but completely uncontrollable beyond 2-3 rounds. It was a lot of fun to unhook the sling, stand on it and fire a magazine off from the hip into a car door. The selector was removed and replaced with the lock-out after about a year.

Sorry for the poor pictures. I was not and am still not a photographer. But it's a picture of a genuine M14 that's still in service. I don't have any of the modified M1A Scout I use now.

I can say this though, there is a definite difference in perceived quality between an M1A and a genuine M14. The M1A is nice, but nothing like a brand new GI spec M14. Shame that we can't all own one. I wish I could.
Beautiful rifle ! When you say service rifle is that with Military or Law enforcement ?
Old 01-25-2015, 03:21 PM

Law Enforcement. We have a lot of M14s, and M16A1s. All have since been modified to semi auto only. Interesting thing is, due to the terms of the loan contract - the modifications can not be permanent. So they can go back to how they are meant to be easily.

My M14 was basically new. There are several M16A1s out there that came the same way, and on the other end of the spectrum we got some really worn rifles too.

I wish CMP would get GI M16A1 upper receivers. I like the light weight.
Old 01-25-2015, 03:29 PM

Thanks for the reply. Good to see these rifles still being used in there original configuration minus full auto. Are you guys ever in a position to possibly buy these after or before retirement ?
Old 01-25-2015, 07:25 PM

Colonel,

No, unfortunately we can't. They are technically US Government property still, on loan through the DRMO/1033 Program, hence why none can be permanently altered. If the agency doesn't want them anymore, they go back to Uncle Sam. Every year they have to be accounted for by an auditor, and checked against the records. This is that same program that got all the bad press after the Ferguson, Missouri shooting last summer.

An interesting side note - the Government was hurting for .30 caliber rifles for the wars in Iraq and Afghanistan. They wanted them for the longer range engagements. They were calling around asking us to please give back any M14s that were not being used so they could go back into front line service. Unfortunately for them, the M14 is pretty popular here with the guys in rural areas who want something with a little more "punch" to it, so we kept all ours.

I really, really wish I could buy Blondie though.
Old 02-01-2015, 10:24 AM

Thank you for replies, very interesting. Are you going to try and get your own M14 or do a build perhaps ?
Old 02-09-2015, 10:23 AM

A few pictures from Afghanistan...