Go Back   CMP Forums > CMP Sales > M1A/M14
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 07-03-2012, 08:15 PM

Just to make it clear... I want to see all of the companies make good quality M14 products. With USGI parts drying up we are going to rely more and more on newly manufactured parts. I would hate to see that people will not question products for any one company. Ever worse is someone having to "lap" parts to make them work and not say anything. I hope that whoever parts are at issue would want to 1) acknowledge a problem and 2) work to rectify the problem. A company that does this is one I am willing to work with. It show that they are operating on an ethical value system.

If somebody need to spread the word that there may be a posible problem then so be it. It's not a bad thing... I should be viewed as a good thing.
Old 07-04-2012, 11:01 AM

Thanks for the post Bear. Eerily reminiscent of many of my post over there before. Just to make some aware of an issue,.. then Kaboom...everyone yells shill, basher, blah, blah.

I found an extremely tight firing pin hole in their first run of bolts. I was the first one to find this issue, and report it there. Guess what happened ? You guessed it, all the same experts came in and explained it away, and I was dis-creditted. Here it is a year or so later, and folks are still having this issue.

For all of your information, Randy at Treeline is selling USGI firing pins. The one's in question here.

Chrome plating has nothing to do with an out of spec bolt. The tolerances are figured in to the equation. Yes, aftermarket pins that are chromed, may be thicker, or out of G.I. spec. and make the problem worse, or tighter. But this one in that thread was a G.I. pin.

The whole issue here, is interchangeability. Why not just fix the bolts ? I forgot, it only took six years of raising sand to get them to fix the receiver bridge a little better. Still no luck with getting SAI to fix anything on their receivers yet. I guess I am going to have to make some receivers myself to get it right.....Builders and buyers beware, or be cautious and careful in assembly.

Fog tripper - (why not buy a complete bolt).... that's funny. That way, LRB can sand/file, it down and make it fit the bolt. Then when he was out at the range one day and shooting some old, Hot, mil-surp, and blew a primer and etched a notch in his firing pin tip, he could get his spare firing pin out of his range bag and replace the fitted one by LRB. Thinking he had the best rifle available, he would not dream of checking the fit. He would re-assemble the rifle and begin firing with a stuck firing pin. Maybe it was the first round, maybe it would be the 15th, maybe he runs into one of his reloads with a slightly higher primer seated on some tumbling media that he missed. Maybe the hammer nose is chipped, maybe the receiver is one with the bridge out of spec, bad , bad combo,..... maybe he blows his hand off. Not raggin on you, just sayin. It could, and does happen. Everyone just needs to double check everything about their rifles and use common sense. Don't trust what anyone tells you, or what anyone advertises, when your health and well being is at stake.
Old 07-04-2012, 12:18 PM

It was never confirmed if the pin was GI or not. Treeline sells both GI and repro firing pins.
Old 07-04-2012, 03:14 PM

Hi, it's Randy. I can't correlate the poster's screen name with his real name, so don't know whether he bought USGI or commercial. However, my commercial firing pins are the same manufacturer that LRB sells. My guess is a tight FP hole...
Old 07-04-2012, 10:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JTY1 View Post
It was never confirmed if the pin was GI or not. Treeline sells both GI and repro firing pins.

Regardless, Ted DID say that NOT all USGI pins fit in the LRB bolts. From what the OP said and Ted confirmed LRB bolts do have problems with bolts and USGI pins.

Like I said I would like to see all companies build quality parts. If people are going to bury their heads in the sand just because it's an LRB... What was it that P. T. Barnum like to say?

Maybe we can call it L.R.B. Barnum...

Last edited by spankybear; 07-04-2012 at 10:31 PM.
Old 07-07-2012, 02:10 PM

Check out post #23. If indeed this is the same bolt/firing pin as detailed in the prior posts, it seems like the firing pin was the problem.

http://m14forum.com/m14/117129-new-l...h-start-2.html
Old 07-07-2012, 02:56 PM

Yes it is. Seems it was the OP's firing pin that was the issue. Good to know as we can all enjoy an alternative source of good M14 bolts.
Old 07-07-2012, 03:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hammonje View Post
I've built dozens of M14s and M1As and never heard of this issue before. I called and asked Hook and he said hogwash. The issue is with the bolt or the firing pin. Remember, we are not sure if the firing pin in question was a USGI part or not, nor did he test another firing pin for fit. So you can't state anything against LRB other than the fact that this issue has come up previously. I have never heard it mentioned previously. You don't hear of folks doing this on M1s. Lapping the firing pin contacts....sounds ridiculous to me really.

Ted could easily just be covering for them and who knows what great deals LRB gives him. Dealer pricing on receivers is $700. They are in the gunsmithing business to make money and his builds are not cheap. Don't be naive in blinding listening to one person or another. I applaud Spankybear for being confident enough to think for himself. Not enough people in this country take the time and then fogtripper jumps on his back, not thinking logically and blindly listening to the interpretation from others. I mean there are only 78 parts. Most of them don't move. How hard is it really to diagnose issues in these rifles??? Not hard really if you take the time to learn, ask questions without fear of being wrong, and utilizing some sense of mechanical know-how. While experience garners respect....I trust those like Hook whose experience makes these others look like Bozos in comparison. He has nothing to gain. Ted perhaps does and I thought his interpretation seemed biased.
Guess it just goes to show 'ya....There's a first time for everything...
Old 07-07-2012, 04:28 PM

Nice to know we have a good source for after market bolts. No problem with the 3 I have. Threads like this always make me question what's up. Too many ex-spirts ready to condem anyones product. Lets have fun and build our kits. Blah Blah Blah. This thread should be good until Christmas with the nay sayers.
Old 07-07-2012, 04:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by spankybear View Post
Just to make it clear... I want to see all of the companies make good quality M14 products. With USGI parts drying up we are going to rely more and more on newly manufactured parts. I would hate to see that people will not question products for any one company. Ever worse is someone having to "lap" parts to make them work and not say anything. I hope that whoever parts are at issue would want to 1) acknowledge a problem and 2) work to rectify the problem. A company that does this is one I am willing to work with. It show that they are operating on an ethical value system.

If somebody need to spread the word that there may be a posible problem then so be it. It's not a bad thing... I should be viewed as a good thing.

"need to spread the word"......that is was'nt the bolt.