Go Back   CMP Forums > CMP Sales > M1A/M14
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 07-03-2012, 01:50 PM

Was he using Federal primers? Their match primers are known to be a cause of slamfires.

Last edited by mopardoctor; 07-03-2012 at 01:52 PM.
Old 07-03-2012, 03:18 PM

Only improperly seated primers of any brand have been know to help cause accidents. Not necessarily Federal or any one elses. Gotta watch the depth on them all. The Match, only means the consistency of the fire, not anything to do with sensitivity.
Old 07-03-2012, 08:41 PM

Default Ammo

The ONLY case head failures I have ever had were both with TZ Israeli 7.62 ammo. Once in an FAL and once in an HK91. Both times no damage to the firearm but the mags were trashed. It will get your attention when it happens. Both times the cases split from about 1/2 way down and all the way through the primer pocket. I pulled the rest of that mess and just kept the projectiles.
Old 07-03-2012, 09:33 PM

Back In The Day, us young Juniors were explicitly told 2 things:

1) NEVER use Federal primers in an M1A.

2) ALWAYS snap the round into the mag and let the bolt push it into the chamber rather than thumb the round in the chamber and let the bolt fly home.

Everybody was afraid of this in the early 90s. 1 reason I went to the M1 so early. Never heard of an M1 slam fire.
Old 07-03-2012, 09:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by plainolddave View Post
Everybody was afraid of this in the early 90s. 1 reason I went to the M1 so early. Never heard of an M1 slam fire.
An M1 can suffer the exact same failure. Seat the primers properly and don't worry about it.

Last edited by missilegeek; 07-03-2012 at 09:46 PM.
Old 07-03-2012, 10:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jarheadteacher View Post
Gentlemen,

At the range a couple weeks ago and saw a man shooting an awesome M 14. An SA. Was in his mid-70's, spoke very knowledgeably about shooting and reloading.
He was loading cartridges one at a time with magazine installed.
Saw him shoot factory ammo and then lost focus of him as I set up. Then I happened to look over and saw him very rattled. Went over to look and here are the pictures.
He said this happened with a reload, said he has been reloading for decades and he used 3031 powder.
He was not hurt in the least but man, was he shaking!
He calmed down and eventually packed up and left.

Pic set 1/2:

heyy with your permission can i Link this to a website called canadiangunnutz.com? i want to let my fellow Canadian reloader's to see this.
Old 07-03-2012, 10:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by missilegeek View Post
An M1 can suffer the exact same failure. Seat the primers properly and don't worry about it.
When firing automatic handguns, I was taught to NEVER put your supporting hand directly under the mag, primarily for reasons shown in the photographs linked with this thread. However, upon being taught the off-hand position when firing the M1, I was taught to place the supporting hand right ahead of the trigger, and directly under the magazine housing. At the time, I thought this a bit odd as it seemed to be in direct contradiction of what I was taught about certain failures. This point would appear be the logical point of expansion in the event of some failure. So, if the type of failure discussed in this thread can happen with an M1, wouldn't it pretty much blow your hand apart if your hand is positioned directly under the magazine plate ahead of the trigger guard?
Old 07-03-2012, 10:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Duce View Post
So, if the type of failure discussed in this thread can happen with an M1, wouldn't it pretty much blow your hand apart if your hand is positioned directly under the magazine plate ahead of the trigger guard?
This kind of thing just plain doesn't happen often.

This type of failure, provided it actually was a slam fire, can occur with any firearm with a free-floating firing pin.
Old 07-04-2012, 12:07 AM

I'm glad the old guy is OK, he can get a new stock and have it rebedded. I've seen TZZ ammo fail on its very first firing, in fact it happened to my wife shooting my rifle on our first date.
Old 07-04-2012, 12:33 AM
Banned

Case failure, happened to me with a AR and reloads. The extractor rips at the weak part of the case. When mine happen, a couple people said it had happen to them. We had all bought once fired brass from a gunshow. You never know what you are buying and alot of times you don't see the cracks.