Go Back   CMP Forums > CMP Sales > M1A/M14
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 09-23-2012, 09:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by EDF View Post
I keep hearing about how much "better" and "safer" the LRB and Smith Enterprises receivers are... Are there a lot of SAI and Fulton receivers that are coming apart? What is so bad about a cast receiver? I am sure that there are not a lot of people that are going to war with their rifles and I am also pretty sure that most will never subjected to full auto fire.
Please take time to research your question. This has been discussed on most forums till it gets shut down. Look for input from folks that know the subject. Basically if you want cheap go cast. If you want quality go forged. Way to many talking points showing up in the last year or two. Just because a person has a million posts, does not mean he knows what he is talking about. Judge for yourself between knowledge and hot air.
Old 09-23-2012, 10:06 PM

If you want to waste money and a poor warranty go forged, if you are interested in quality and support go Fulton or SAI. SAI has built more rifles and made more receivers than all the others combined times 10.

Forged vs cast has nothing to with quality. Some bought that hook, line and sinker and continue to support their purchases for some irrational, emotional reasons. I've had some absolute pathetic LRB parts. If they can't make a bolt, how can you expect them to make a more complex receiver. They only insist on certain builders for warranty and in-house builds to cover for out-of-spec parts. It'll come out eventually. I believe folks are starting to see it already. Realizing they are WAY over paying for something that adds nothing to a rifle based on modern casting technology. Has nothing to do with strength and everything about up front cost sinking and ease of machining.

Read a few books nf1e or just continue to write threads that contribute little to nothing to discussions other than condenscending remarks and finger pointing. Talk about hot air. Please. Every time you write some BS comment toward me I am going to respond in kind X10. Because, quite frankly, I am tired of your immature cheap shots.
Old 09-23-2012, 10:35 PM

Default M14 actions

I do not remember who but someone was telling me that the folks that do the casting for Fulton's do the casting for Springfield Armory also. And is top notch stuff. I, like many others prefer machined from billet stock or a forging if at all possible. Ruger and other industry leaders have been casting actions for years with no problems, I think it is just a preferance as one should be just as good as the other. I just wanted some opinions on which actions you all prefer and why. I know folks have used Fultons for numerous builds with no problems at all. 7.62 intrigues me as the forged action price is lower than LRB or Smith. What bothers me about taking a chance with the 7.62 is no or limited customer service.
Mike
Old 09-23-2012, 11:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hammonje View Post
If you want to waste money and a poor warranty go forged, if you are interested in quality and support go Fulton or SAI. SAI has built more rifles and made more receivers than all the others combined times 10.

Forged vs cast has nothing to with quality. Some bought that hook, line and sinker and continue to support their purchases for some irrational, emotional reasons. I've had some absolute pathetic LRB parts. If they can't make a bolt, how can you expect them to make a more complex receiver. They only insist on certain builders for warranty and in-house builds to cover for out-of-spec parts. It'll come out eventually. I believe folks are starting to see it already. Realizing they are WAY over paying for something that adds nothing to a rifle based on modern casting technology. Has nothing to do with strength and everything about up front cost sinking and ease of machining.

Read a few books nf1e or just continue to write threads that contribute little to nothing to discussions other than condenscending remarks and finger pointing. Talk about hot air. Please. Every time you write some BS comment toward me I am going to respond in kind X10. Because, quite frankly, I am tired of your immature cheap shots.
Dude, it is not all about you. I am beging to see why you were booted from another place in the past. The PMs I get are very educational. I am only a hobbyist as you are. Ham, you are not high enough on the totem pole. I never even thought about you for that post. Please drop the personal junk, it is below even you.
Old 09-23-2012, 11:45 PM

I like the SEI or LRB because they are as close to mil spec as you can get. My opinion only is that the cast receivers are a cheap imitation while LRB and SEI are considered expensive imitations. I can not understand why anyone would want to go cheap on a 2K plus rifle. As for cast being just as good as forged, you will find folks on both sides of the game. My thought cast=hugo forged=ford. A good product is a good product. Give a teenager a nice cobra and watch it get turned into a pile of scrap metal in a hurry.
Old 09-24-2012, 01:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mwhite49 View Post
LRB look to be just abou the best, but for a person on a bit of a tighter budget than the LRB prices which would be better?
Mike
If I had the money, I would probably go LRB like everyone else, but they are $995 and my Fulton cost $450. Both of my Fulton's were a dream to assemble and headspaced perfectly. They went together without modification just like a Garand.
Old 09-24-2012, 06:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nf1e View Post
Please take time to research your question. This has been discussed on most forums till it gets shut down. Look for input from folks that know the subject. Basically if you want cheap go cast. If you want quality go forged. Way to many talking points showing up in the last year or two. Just because a person has a million posts, does not mean he knows what he is talking about. Judge for yourself between knowledge and hot air.
I appreciate your comment... I have been researching my question and have yet to come up with a solid answer. Like you said "discussed till it gets shut down" with no answers.
I want to put together a parts kit that I have had for years and am trying to figure out which receiver to use.
So, the best way to get info is to ask questions and it seems like that is a dangerous thing to do.
My question is basically why is forged so much better than cast....
Because it cost more?
Are the cast receivers coming apart after so many thousand rounds?

Not trying to ruffle anyone's feathers, just trying to figure out why the LRB is so much better than the Smith Enterprises which is better than the SAI which is better than the Fulton other than how much they cost.
Old 09-24-2012, 07:42 AM

I have a question: If cast is "equal" to forged, then why do all of the bolts appear to be forged - even Fulton sells a forged bolt - are any bolts actually cast? As it seems that there are no cast bolts out there that indeed forged is superior to cast in at least some applications.
Old 09-24-2012, 07:52 AM

I don't know about Smiths, but I'm local to LRB and wanted to support a local business.
It was my 1st M14 platform buy/build.

I couldn't get a discussion out of LRB when I called, and didn't feel welcome to go there and talk.

I had the cash, I knew , based on their website, where their prices were.
I was trying to figure my options and their costs.

I stopped trying to go LRB on that call.
Started reading some more.
Found lots of threads.
Those that factually spoke about problems with LRB, receivers not in spec at the time.

I had handled a couple of SAincs, and were impressed with what I found on the rack locally.

Spoke to a couple of armorers that were building lots of m14s, and kept hearing go with Fulton.

Metallurgy has come a VERY VERY long way from years ago when forging was needed to get the strength. So that ship has sailed a very long time ago.

There are match shooters that shoot Fulton receivers , and keep re-barreling their fulton receivers.

Anyway, called Fulton had discussions with them. Friendly, didn't make me feel like they were doing me a favor. With the sale I caught and breaks, it was cheaper in the end to have them build what I was looking for than for me to buy and assemble, and was still cheaper than a loaded SAinc off the rack locally.
Over LRB, saved me a bunch, went a long way to buying ammo.

Spend the next month reading a few of the forums, try and get thru the BS , and don't drink the juice.

Make your posts, filter the responses... you'll find it gets very polarizing.

I have one friend completely happy with the LRB based receiver he built 7 years ago.

Recently, one armorer went thru a few issues with the LRB receivers he tried to use.
Different items, out of spec, wouldn't work with GI bolts.
Than one other person, same type of issues with the one he had....

When I was still trying to decide which way to go, another armorer I know well, told me , just go with Fulton. All his build are Fulton receivers.

Your Mileage will vary.

You'll find this subject will cause threads to get locked and deleted... !!
On another forum I've been on for years, its the aftermarket transmission builder questions that causes the same thread closures and deletions.
Old 09-24-2012, 09:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ramit View Post
Recently, one armorer went thru a few issues with the LRB receivers he tried to use.
Different items, out of spec, wouldn't work with GI bolts.
Than one other person, same type of issues with the one he had....
[citations needed]
I am curious as to what is considered an "armorer" these days.

What I have found is that owners of LRBs are by and large pretty darned happy with their decisions. Also that there seems to be a small handful of non LRB owners who like to take shots at LRB at every opportunity. Also potshots at those who choose LRB. ie; the ridiculous and insulting "coolaid drinker" lines. THAT is the crap that snowballs and gets threads locked.

Quote:
Originally Posted by hammonje View Post
If you want to waste money and a poor warranty go forged, if you are interested in quality and support go Fulton or SAI.
I have yet to hear of an instance where there was poor support from LRB, much less issues with "quality" beyond a small few who either have issue with the warranty period or lack the experience to build anything more fitting-intensive than an AR15.

Last edited by Fogtripper; 09-24-2012 at 09:42 AM.