Go Back   CMP Forums > CMP Sales > Smallbore
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 09-23-2021, 03:04 PM

Is it safe to shoot .22 longs and .22 shorts in the M44?
Old 09-23-2021, 03:15 PM

Yes you may need a original mag to feed from the mag! It works well & it is very quiet.

broom
Old 09-23-2021, 10:00 PM

Only thing I'd add is that you need to clean the chamber well after shooting shorts. Assuming that shorts even still exist.
Old 09-23-2021, 10:03 PM

Thanks Broom.

I have a repro mag with the screw for the shorter cartridge. If that does not work, I will single load.
From your response, I assume you have shot the longs and shorts from an M44 and that it is safe to do so and that it will not damage the rifle. I only have a few of these that I will be sending down the bbl.
Old 09-23-2021, 10:05 PM

And thank you edlmann for that advice on cleaning the chamber.
Old 09-23-2021, 11:10 PM

Hi Normanclature,

I don't think anyone make long's any more. I have not seen them on sale in years, think I have a full box of 50 out in the garage.

Just clean the chamber well as more powder residue will build up if you shoot a bunch of them. As edlmann's well written post mentioned. Just like a 38 Special bullet in a 357 revolver. It's been a while since I fired any 22 shorts. The older rifles were made to shoot shorts longs & Long rifle mixed in a tube mag.
You will not damage the chamber unless your fire thousands of them. The powder charge is light.

Enjoy it,
broom
Old 09-25-2021, 09:14 AM

I can remember back when Shorts, Longs, and Long Rifle .22's were all available at any local hardware store. The prices were something like: 50 cents, 55 cents, and 60 cents respectively.

As a kid, I would often go for the shorts because they were the least expensive. That was back when you tried to make every dollar go as far as possible. In fact, you would be lucky to have as much as a whole dollar in your pocket!

I have only seen long rifle .22's for sale in the past 30 or more years.

These days, my favorite brand is Federal Long Rifle hollow points, which seem to work well in all of my .22's.

Last edited by navyrifleman; 09-25-2021 at 09:16 AM.
Old 09-25-2021, 10:17 AM

Midway lists 22 longs for sale by cci and they say mixed availability and by Winchester saying coming soon so they appear to be out there for sale..
Old 09-25-2021, 06:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by broomhandle View Post
Hi Fellows,

I took my warped -TRIGGER- guard off & put it in hot water till it softened up a bit had to do it three or four times to get the feel for it!
It finally snapped in place with a two or three clamps & the original screws. Have some one handy because you need four hands!
It still fits correctly eight years later. If your breaks Havlin is there as a back up! Knowing there was a "backup" allowed me to give it a try!

Good LUCK,
broom
I did that too. Worked great. About a week later it disintegrated!
Called Mr. Havelin and all is well.

They aren't hard to fit. Mossberg used 3 or 4 variations of this triggerguard, the difference (on other Mossberg models) is in the length and shape of the end below/aft of the trigger. Instead of the expense to make 4 or so different models , Mr. Havelin made one, the largest so it fits all, you just need to trim the tail end. 30 minutes with hand tools, 5 in a well equipped shop.

These are great little rifles and a bit of oil and polish makes them stand out at the range.
JH

Zvenoman's Feedback Thread
Old 09-26-2021, 08:44 AM

Hello All,

A little off topic but it has merit! PSA / Palmetto arms has various types of 22 ammo & many other calibers too in stock. On the Buy of the Day section of their website! Some items have free shipping!

I ordered two bricks of the CCI blue box TARGET standard velocity 22 ammo.
40 grain lead round nose 1070 fps They were shipped to me in one working day! Prices were higher then in the past but I HAVE them for future use

Older shooters told the older rifles were made for and will preform better with the standard rounds. So I bought some when I can find them. In my actual practice at the ranges I shoot 25/50 &100 yards I really have not seen much difference. I'm usually the weak link!

Enjoy EVERY day!
broom

Last edited by broomhandle; 09-26-2021 at 10:02 PM.