Go Back   CMP Forums > CMP Sales > M1 Garand
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 09-16-2021, 12:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JW_Pepper View Post
Your rifle, your choice. Removing rack numbers is a one way trip.

I love the character a rack number adds to an M1. This one is named Norma but my boys call her "old 39".
http://imgur.com/a/Hc63viY
I love the look of your "old 39." I have a similar one with a more faded "44" on it. I have no problems with rack numbers.
Old 09-23-2021, 11:19 PM

It’s funny, but I just received my first CMP Garand today and was thrilled that it had large numbers painted on the side and bottom of the butt stock. I’m sure the only “been there, done that” story behind the numbers is that it sat in a storage room somewhere, but I still like the character that the rack numbers add to the rifle. I found this thread looking for advice on how to preserve mine.
Old 09-24-2021, 04:31 PM

Any removal attempt will only make it look worse in my opinion.

One of my favorite rifles, a 2.35 mil corrected Winchester M1

https://imgur.com/rb6PrA6
https://imgur.com/HM37VxQ
Old 09-24-2021, 06:10 PM

Rack numbers are a personal preference. But I have received some that were in bad shape, I removed them. Some I repaired.
Some people like them, other remove them as part of cleaning up and making their milsurp look "as good as possible to them".

In my pallet of stocks I bought from Dupage there are a few with rack numbers. As the stocks are "well used" , most of the rack numbers are beat up. In my cleaning I made no effort to preserve them, but I don't think any were damaged when cleaned and degreased.
I tell sellers, and send pics of them, and offer to remove any they don't want. So far only a few wanted them removed, and they were pretty worn anyway, for those stocks it was probably an improvement.

Back when CMP stores had the refurb air rifles I went through them often. Some had some crazy carving and markings (JROTC, what do you expect).
I snagged the one below, it had "HC" stenciled, and was otherwise solid but dirty. I cleaned it up and removed the "C" leaving my last name initial. A good degreasing, I may have used some stain, then BLO topped with Ton's 1/3 mic on this stock.
I have a soup can on a string from a tree in my back yard; this rifle lives inside the door to the deck. Good entertainment, crazy accurate at 10m.

JH

Zvenoman's Feedback Thread
Old 09-25-2021, 07:15 AM

Leaving it alone on mine...

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk
Old 09-25-2021, 07:46 AM

I firmly believe that it's your firearm, your free choice, you only gotta keep YOU happy.

Two quotes come to mind -

"Beauty is in the eye of the beholder."

"Beauty is only skin deep....... but ugly goes clear to the bone." - lol