Go Back   CMP Forums > CMP Sales > CMP Bolt Action Rifles
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 06-17-2021, 07:51 AM

Default M48 trigger work

Is there a recommendation any of yall can provide for someone to clean up and slightly lighten the two stage trigger on a m48 mauser. I cleanded and degreased it last night, lightly rem oil it, and the 2nd stage is just way too heavy for my liking. I want to keep it a 2 stage, I didnt see an aftermarket timney or the like that says its a two stage. So whats the recommendation? It needs to be safe just a bit nicer.
Old 06-18-2021, 12:34 PM

A military two stage trigger can be made more crisp and less "creepy" by honing the face of the sear with a small Arkansas stone. This does not lessen the spring tension or the travel distance, but does eliminate friction.

An Arkansas stone is a very fine grit stone used in the final stages of sharpening a knife.

Simply remove your trigger assembly and examine the sear to see if it is complete and check on its condition to begin with. Note any pitting or damage.

Next very lightly hone the face of that sear (the part that makes contact with the bolt) being careful to keep it completely flat and not rounding any of the sides or corners. I lay the stone on the edge of a work table and move the part carefully on it back and forth, checking often on the polishing progress. Keeping it completely flat on the stone is the key. Don't use a lot of downward pressure, just back and forth and take your time at it.

You should notice a dramatic improvement in the trigger action.
Old 06-20-2021, 05:08 PM

You can seriously screw up a difficult trigger to replace if you attempt working the trigger yourself with newbee experience. Or make it unsafe and useless. Buy an after market trigger for it and leave the original be.
Old 06-20-2021, 06:32 PM

If theres a two stage aftermarket im all ears, ive only seen singles.
Old 06-22-2021, 09:40 PM

I haven't used this, but it shows a two stage trigger option.
https://www.huberconcepts.com/collec...-rifle-trigger