Go Back   CMP Forums > CMP Sales > CMP 1911
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 06-10-2021, 01:11 PM

Thanks for posting, I have now ruled out ordering a Rack Grade. Definitely going Field Grade now.
Old 06-10-2021, 01:27 PM

Again....
Quote:
Originally Posted by ZvenoMan View Post
Yup. Out of all the RGs received, and then posted here that amounts to what, 1 observed with such handiwork?

JH
LHS
Old 06-10-2021, 02:01 PM

So we have a "show me your rack" thread with pics of many rack grades. But this one rack grade makes people want to decline rack grade now.

A careful read of CMP's grade descriptions shows you that "hand stippled grip" may appear in all grades.
Unless CMP considers that "pitting", and I'm confident the newest CMP1911 employee knows the difference :-)
Best WAG makes the chances of getting a stippled 1911 about 1 in 20,000. Unless others have been received we do not know about....

Seriously, of the 80K potential pistols, how many will have such precision upgrades?
And, as evident in this thread, trading for another (better looking according to those who don't like this) will be a non-issue.
Many have offered the OP his entire cost (CMP$ plus FFL) plus additional cash to buy it.

No issues; when CMP allows me to order a second, I'm requesting a Rack grade; so all of you should avoid them.
:-)

JH

Zvenoman's Feedback Thread
Old 06-10-2021, 03:56 PM

sasquath, take the grips off and look at the inside of the front grip and see how many shinny
spots are there where the magazine has rubbed. Those will be dents. You do not know how he stippled it or if there was any support in the magazine well. For all you know the frame could be twisted from the impacts. That is why we had to be careful when we stippled them using proper tools for area teams. If CMP would exchange it for you that is what I would do.
Old 06-10-2021, 07:41 PM

from my understanding, this sort of mod/customize is not common at all in the U.S. armed forces. pretty severely frowned upon, as a rule.

except special operations units. to me it is clear evidence the pistol served in such a unit. if I were not a participant in round 2 I would offer to buy it like others have.

guaranteed, when I get the call I'm asking for Rack Grade.
Old 06-11-2021, 08:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tester19 View Post
In retrospect, I think this is one of the few times that the CMP sorters and graders could have made a better judgement call on disposition. I believe this one would have reached it's best and highest purpose on the auction. It would likely have generated twice the price of a Rack Grade and there would have been a near 100% probability of the buyer being happy with it. Win/win. For luck of the draw, probably half the recipients would have thought they'd hit the lottery and the other half would have been less than fully satisfied. And there is not one thing wrong with either reaction or point of view. Just depends on what you like. Just saying-----
I think you nailed it on what buyers think. Some people wonder why a person isn't happy with whatever they got while others loathe to have it. It's a rack grade that has some pretty cool history IMHO. The CMP clearly states it is luck of the draw. I am pretty sure when the trigger is pulled it will shoot and operate like it should.
Old 06-14-2021, 01:20 PM

Graphic taken from: Gun Digest: Pistol Smithing. By: Jack Mitchell ...Guess published on or about 1976. List over 120 Gunsmiths that work on 1911. The most popular target custom fitted hand gun. Many Gunsmiths stippled for better grip etc.
Old 06-18-2021, 02:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TSimonetti View Post
I remember seeing lots of Greek service grades with graffiti carved into the stocks, and you also see crudely etched serial numbers on bolts which was intentionally defacing and also outside the stated definition of service grade but guess what? They were still sold as service grades.

The pistol is still a rack grade. Itís not exchangeable in my opinion. Rack grades are often all kinds of wall flower looking. Thatís why they are rack grades
Yep, I have a USMC 1903 that has been terribly defaced. It has stippling on the but plate and a serial number scribed onto the bolt with an electronic pencil. Somebody drilled an extra hole in the receiver too!
But I'm OK with it 🙂
Old 06-18-2021, 12:30 PM

Doing a little bit of research on the M-B marked barrel, though not officially known it seems to be a marine corps rebuild mark meaning "Magnafluxed Barstow"

http://forums.thecmp.org/showthread.php?t=258627
Old 06-18-2021, 07:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Capt.Tom View Post
Yep, I have a USMC 1903 that has been terribly defaced. It has stippling on the but plate and a serial number scribed onto the bolt with an electronic pencil. Somebody drilled an extra hole in the receiver too!
But I'm OK with it 🙂
Those are teeth marks.... Devil Dogs!!!