Go Back   CMP Forums > CMP Sales > Accessories
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 04-17-2011, 01:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Garandy View Post
The M1 sling with ribbed keeper was issued in 1945, and has been pictured in combat before WW2 ended
Thanks Garandy! I learned something new.

Does anyone know of a book or other good source for information about the various web sling manufacturers, colors, fabrics, hardware, and dates of issue?

Last edited by IditarodJoe; 04-17-2011 at 01:04 PM. Reason: to add a question
Old 04-17-2011, 01:40 PM

What ammo do you hope to feed your new rifle? I see some soft point hunting ammo loaded up in one of you clips. You have to be careful what you feed an M1 or you may bend your op rod.
--UUU---(iii)---UUU--
Old 04-17-2011, 01:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kilroywashere View Post
What ammo do you hope to feed your new rifle? I see some soft point hunting ammo loaded up in one of you clips. You have to be careful what you feed an M1 or you may bend your op rod.
kilroy,

Thank you for your cautionary note! Those are hand loads, using 150 grain spire points from Hornady (old bullets, no longer made). I read extensively about reloading for the M1, and have followed everyone's advice as far as powder selection, powder charge (2700fps, max.) bullet weight, primer selection, and COL. Everything is within specs, and the 150 Hornady's shot well out of the M1. I'm about out of them so will switch to either the 150 Hornady FMJ's or their AMAX's.
Old 04-17-2011, 01:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by IditarodJoe View Post
Thanks Garandy! I learned something new.

Does anyone know of a book or other good source for information about the various web sling manufacturers, colors, fabrics, hardware, and dates of issue?
Iditarod,
You may want to try: "Ordnance Tools, Accessories and Appendages of the M1 Rifle," by Billy Pile, available at the CMP Bookstore
Old 04-17-2011, 02:19 PM

Thanks Mike. I have Pyle's book, but unfortunately the detailed information on slings is pretty slim. This would be a good area of study for someone who has the time and inclination to make a contribution to the hobby. Maybe in a few years when I retire . . .
Old 04-17-2011, 03:03 PM

IditarodJoe, here's what I've been able to find:

M1 Garand Leather Slings
The slings that were authorized for the M1 Garand rifle were the the Model 1907 Leather Sling and the M1Canvas Sling. Although the M1 Canvas Sling did get adopted in 1943 the M1907 Leather Sling remained in service throughout the war and with many National Guard units until the M1 Garand was replaced and is still popular at matches like Camp Perry. Where you will see the familiar leather sling on M1 Garands, M14’s, and many AR variants.

Model 1907 Leather Sling Type 1
The Model 1907 Leather Sling is made of two 1.25 inch wide leather straps The two straps of the sling are double hole punched two-thirds of its length. The shorter of the two straps was 25 inches long with a brass claw at one end and a “D” ring sewn on to the opposite end. These early slings had brass hardware. Later the slings were marked with the manufactures name or code and date near the brass claws. Most slings are brown leather and are completed by two sewn leather keepers to aid in adjustment.

Model 1907 Leather Sling Type 2
This sling was identical to the Type 1 with the exception of the metal hardware which was changed to parkerized steel. In 1942 the War Dept. announced brass was a war-critical commodity and strictly controlled. Thus the adoption of the Type 2 sling with steel hardware. You will find slings from this year with both brass and steel hardware.

M1 Canvas Sling
The M1 Canvas Sling was a single strap that was 46 inches long and with a width of 1.28 inches. Unlike The Model 1907 Leather Sling the M1 Canvas Sling had a buckle sewn on at one end and a metal cap was crimped on the other end. The end of the sling had a flat snap hook to attach to the swivel of the stock. The M1 Canvas Sling has five basic variations, but that would be a whole other article by itself.

http://pronematch.com/a-short-history-of-the-the-sling/