Go Back   CMP Forums > CMP Sales > CMP Bolt Action Rifles > Mann Accuracy Device
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 05-31-2012, 11:33 PM

Default 5.56 Mann Device

I got a Mann Device in 5.56 from the CMP Auctions. This puppy has protentuals.

I'm raking my brain on ideals how to make a craddle or some sort of contraption to hold the Mann Device.

I'm sure this device will help me develope the best ammo for my White Oak Service rifle.

I think I'm hooked. Now I have to get one of the 308/1903a3 devices.

If I can find a couple good acitons, I just might try to make my own in some other caliber. I'm thinking of a good fast twist 270 Win.

But thats after I learn the ins and outs of these things.
Old 06-01-2012, 07:11 AM

So, if 5.56 rifles may be sold by the CMP, does this mean the door is open for M-16/M4 parts and parts kits in the future?
Old 06-01-2012, 02:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hacker View Post
So, if 5.56 rifles may be sold by the CMP, does this mean the door is open for M-16/M4 parts and parts kits in the future?
Correction - It is NOT a rifle. it HAS NO SIGHTS and NO STOCK. It is a ammunition testing platform chambered for the .223 NATO. I cannot speak for the CMP but past history tells me that you won't see anything in the 5.56mm from the CMP, ammunition or weapons, until the military has replaced it with something else. In the past that did not happen until after the countries they leased or gave them to were also finished with them. What is extronairy about this is, it is the first 5.56 MANN Accuracy Device to pass through the CMP (that I know of). I don't know what significance to place on that. Perhaps the military now has a better method of testing ammunition and no longer uses these fine machines. If that is true there may be more of them to come, or there may not have been many of them made and this one was a left over after the others were worn out. At this point it seems to be a rare one-of-a-kind find.
Old 06-29-2012, 10:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kraigwy View Post
. . I'm sure this device will help me develope the best ammo for my White Oak Service rifle.
I think I'm hooked. Now I have to get one of the 308/1903a3 devices.
If I can find a couple good acitons, I just might try to make my own in some other caliber. I'm thinking of a good fast twist 270 Win.
But thats after I learn the ins and outs of these things.
Kraig - That close-up you posted on Old Chief's thread is great.

From the looks of it I suspect the collar is actually a physical part of the barrel. I have not seen a stainless steel collar on any other MANN barrel before yours. It may be removable but it would be little additional work to machine the collar as part of the barrel blank. If it is removable you would have to replace it with a spacer to keep the head space correct. In any case, I think you should be able to put it "as-is" in a broad stock that is inletted for that receiver, place a scope on the pretapped receiver and fly with it. As for bedding the barrel, I think you can let that collar rest in the stock and float the rest of the barrel, just bedding the muzzle. I have no knowledge of the bedding process but looking at the old MANN testing photos using dount bearings and a "V" block, the barrel only made contact with the "V" block at two points and that is bedding.

Last edited by VMFn542bob; 06-29-2012 at 10:18 PM.
Old 06-29-2012, 10:38 PM

I just went out in the shop and looked again. It sure looks to me like machined with the barrel.

As you can see the Rem action doesn't have the recoil shield, so I'm thinking I'd have to use the donut instead.

Yeah, I was planning on free floating the barrel, but I don't know that I need to bed the muzzle thought.
Old 06-29-2012, 11:34 PM

Quote:
I just went out in the shop and looked again. It sure looks to me like machined with the barrel.

As you can see the Rem action doesn't have the recoil shield, so I'm thinking I'd have to use the donut instead.

Yeah, I was planning on free floating the barrel, but I don't know that I need to bed the muzzle thought.
I'm not sure what you mean by "recoil Shield". The tang & bolt on the rear of the receiver and the bolt at the front absorbs the recoil, but your barrel is so massive it probably doesn't even need that. (another great pic stolen from Old Chief's thread.)
The threaded end of the barrel at the receiver end was never intended to support that weight. You do need to support the muzzle and float the barrel. (Just my ancient engineering mind at work.)

That receiver is pristine. I think you did say it was tapped for a scope mount, didn't you?
By the way, the date stamp on the previous pic (01/01/2010 00:03) means you haven't set your camera clock yet or it's not your MANN.

Last edited by VMFn542bob; 06-29-2012 at 11:49 PM.
Old 06-30-2012, 07:56 AM

Recoil shield isn't what its called. I met the lug that goes between the barrel and receiver. Heavy as this barrel is, I agree with you that its not needed. Especially if the stock is inleted for the donut.

Yes the action came drilled in tapped from the factory so I won't have to modify the action.

Guess I'll get one of the grandkids to set the camera clock.

When I get this set in a stock, I doubt its gonna be pretty, but nether is the guy who will be shooting it.

I got high hopes that is is gonna be one heck of a tack driver.
Old 06-30-2012, 09:57 AM

Quote:
Recoil shield isn't what its called. I met the lug that goes between the barrel and receiver. Heavy as this barrel is, I agree with you that its not needed. Especially if the stock is inleted for the donut.

Yes the action came drilled in tapped from the factory so I won't have to modify the action.

Guess I'll get one of the grandkids to set the camera clock.

When I get this set in a stock, I doubt its gonna be pretty, but nether is the guy who will be shooting it.

I got high hopes that is is gonna be one heck of a tack driver.
How long is that barrel, measured from the face of the bolt to the muzzle?
I'm pretty sure it will turn out the be the tack driver you want it to be.
As to "pretty", that in the eyes of the beholder.
The prettiest girls are not always the sleek thin ones.
Once you dress her up and put some wood on her you will see an entirely different girl.