Go Back   CMP Forums > CMP Sales > CMP Bolt Action Rifles > Mann Accuracy Device
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 09-23-2012, 09:40 PM

Default MANN in competition

I've shot this rifle at a few local competitions. Never further than 300yds and not in a couple of years.
Up until today the results had been ho-hum. We have a local walk and paste 200 prone match here on the MR52(reduced from 600 to 200).
I shot a load I have never formally tested. 44.1g of XBR8208 behind a Sierra new style 155g Palma bullet. The Sierra 2156C.
600-48X. Shot from a Harris Bi-pod and a rear bag. Considering that the X-ring on this target is 1.79" and that I could not get rid of a really bad shake because of over exertion in the heat yesterday, I'm impressed. Better light conditions, less shooter shake and I could see this improving to a 600-58 pretty easily. This range faces SE and gets the early morning sun right in our eyes. I finally resorted to throwing a towel over my head and the scope to block some of the glaring light.
I guess I'm going to have to drag it out to a 600 match one of these days.
Old 09-23-2012, 10:03 PM

Can you post some pictures of your MANN?
Old 09-24-2012, 07:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by VMFn542bob View Post
Can you post some pictures of your MANN?
Pictures here.
http://forums.thecmp.org/showthread.php?t=11584
This is Rich Morrison's original project. Basically all I have done is re-bed and tweak the stock and hand guard fit.
If I built another one I would not turn the barrel down. Rich turned the barrel to 1.23". Rich also had his barrel smith cut a feed cone and extractor groove in the barrel. This lost an inch of length on the barrel.
The flash hider looks cool but it does cause a little rearward blast so as a courtesy I take it off when shooting in competitions.
Having it on there doesn't have any affect on accuracy but the zero does shift between on or off. Originally the flash hider had a very tight bore for the first 1/2" and did cause problems with consistency so I reamed it to .625". Much better now.

On edit. I had forgotten that I actually had shot it at 600yds.
As for the other claimed groupings. It does have moments of brilliance and groups really well but it has always tended to start growing the groups in a 20 shot competition string. Yesterday was the 1st time I ever saw it stay consistent through a string and match.
Also this is the 1st load I have ever shot that was touching the lands. The rifle is throated so long that the 155 only had about .055" in the case. Sadly I've never been able to get it to shoot longer heavier bullets. Maybe the faster burning 8208 would allow that? My theory is that the short barrel didn't work with heavier bullets because the pressure was too high at bullet exit causing gas induced wobble.

Last edited by wesvb; 09-24-2012 at 08:35 AM.
Old 09-24-2012, 07:41 AM

Hi Wes - I thought I recognized your screen name but according to your profile you were Wes_VB from Colorado when you bought that rifle from Rich and now you are wesvb from Texas. Glad to see you back here. Looking forward to keeping up with your posts. - Bob