Go Back   CMP Forums > CMP Sales > CMP Bolt Action Rifles
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 06-26-2017, 09:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TexasDan View Post
Matt,

Thanks so much for your efforts here. The article is full of useful and interesting info.

I checked my 1179xxx against your pictures, and it looks like the only Mark I part I have is the receiver (with original finish and probably original barrel ... 2-20).

The original rear sight is tough on my old eyes, but I do try to shoot it when I can.

Best Regards,
Dan
Yours is from the late serial block, Dan, and the 2-20 barrel is very appropriate.

It is very common to find that the Mark I parts have been replaced with standard parts, as most were converted in the 1930s. Your rifle may also have seen subsequent inspection and/or repair. But it sounds like it missed a re-barreling procedure at overhaul.

Any arsenal/inspection stamps on the stock?

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimmyzwei View Post
Matt,

thank you for pulling a that info together in one place. Hope you dont mind that i am coping and saving it to my files.

Interested if you might share where you acquired your "employment experience at a nationally renowned auction house" if you prefer just email me a few times till you feel comfortable enough to share.

again thanks for posting.
Please do save into files! That is the purpose for the topic.

And if you hang out long enough, get to know the gun room managers, and buy enough product from James Julia Auctions, eventually they will hire you! And Poulin's Auction is just a stone's throw across the parking lot from Julia's. It continually blows my mind that some of the most collectible firearms in the world will pass through these houses in the quiet farm country of Maine. I am fortunate to live within a 40 minute drive.
Old 06-26-2017, 11:38 AM

nicely done...
good job, and great research...
Old 06-26-2017, 12:20 PM

Nice job. I vote for it being a "sticky"!

Mike
Old 06-26-2017, 01:56 PM

In 2011 I received from the CMP, as an M1903 Mk I rifle, serial number 1035546 (as pictured in this thread: http://forums.thecmp.org/showthread.php?t=59475). It is a rifle marked M1903 MK I with no ejection port.

John Beard's comment, at the time (post #13 in the referenced thread),

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Beard View Post
Congratulations!

Your rifle's receiver has a marking error. Your receiver also confirms the accuracy of a serial number and barrel date data base to which I have access. The data base shows that Springfield did not abruptly switch over to Mark I production, but phased in Mark I production over several thousand serial numbers.

During the phase-in period, receivers were segregated and marked according to type, then serialized. Your receiver shows that a worker forgot to switch out the marking die when transitioning between types. Your receiver falls in a serial number block containing about 500 non-Mark I receivers. Although your receiver was the first one in that block which was marked, it was not the first one serialized. The receivers were mixed by the time they got to the serializing station and your mis-marked receiver wound up falling in the middle of the serial number block.

I would appreciate knowing your rifle's barrel manufacturer and date. Thanks!

Hope this helps.

J.B.
As it was likely built up as a standard M1903, it has no M1903 Mk I unique parts.

Given that I paid the CMP $500 plus shipping for it, I wonder what it is now worth.

"Life is Good!"
Old 06-26-2017, 08:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by steelap View Post
In 2011 I received from the CMP, as an M1903 Mk I rifle, serial number 1035546 (as pictured in this thread: http://forums.thecmp.org/showthread.php?t=59475). It is a rifle marked M1903 MK I with no ejection port.

As it was likely built up as a standard M1903, it has no M1903 Mk I unique parts.

Given that I paid the CMP $500 plus shipping for it, I wonder what it is now worth.

"Life is Good!"

I recall seeing that one a few times over the years. It always makes me grin.

With the Mark I stock and the 'one-off' receiver, you might coax the right collector out of a few extra Ben Franklins on a sale. But if you can hang on to it for a while longer, it can only go up! Neat rifle.

Please feel free to add a couple of pictures. It is quite relevant to the subject matter.
Old 06-29-2017, 04:36 AM

The Mark I that I have retained all of it's parts. The stock is correct too (finger groove), metal is the black color. Only the bolt may not be correct. When I bought this, I really didn't know what I was looking at, just a nice Springfield M1903 was what I was after. I agree, this post should be a sticky. Nice work Martin08.
eaglekeeper

Last edited by eaglekeeper; 06-29-2017 at 09:14 AM.
Old 10-30-2019, 04:22 PM

Great info. Found while doing Mark 1 research. Maybe can help someone else.
Old 10-30-2019, 05:19 PM

About 15 years ago, the CMP was selling 1903 and 03A3 rifles, and along with complete rifles, they were selling "barrelled receivers".

I requested a 1903 Mark I barrelled receiver and what I got was a completely "new" never built upon Mark I receiver with original black finish, and a brand new Hi Standard (HS) marked barrel separate from (not attached to) the receiver.

Using all GI "new" (still in the package) parts and a DCM "new" stock, I built a complete 1903 rifle.

I have often wondered why this receiver was never made into a complete rifle by the Army.
Old 10-30-2019, 05:40 PM

What led you to believe that your Mark I receiver had never been built up into a complete rifle? Just curious.

J.B.
Old 10-31-2019, 07:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Beard View Post
What led you to believe that your Mark I receiver had never been built up into a complete rifle? Just curious.

J.B.
There were no dents, scratches, or wear marks anywhere on the receiver, either inside or out. The finish was an even black, not OD or gray. Also, the fact that there was no barrel attached, as I expected from the CMP advertising.

I certainly had no complaints. Just figured that CMP was being especially nice to me!