Go Back   CMP Forums > CMP Sales > Accessories
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 08-09-2010, 04:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leigh View Post
Agreed.
Anything made of brass will show verdigris in short order (nature of the beast).

I've never tried white vinegar but a stiff copper/bronze bore brush + Hoppe's (or similar solvent) will clean it right up and with minimal elbow grease.

All this stuff will work, but HOW do you get the Verdigris off without removing the black finish that is on the bronze? Is it even possible?

All the pictures I have seen of the Unissued bayonets which have been Cleaned (Including mine, Imperial) have had the black finish removed along with the Verdigris.
Old 08-09-2010, 04:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ANGRY POSSUM View Post
All this stuff will work, but HOW do you get the Verdigris off without removing the black finish that is on the bronze? Is it even possible?

All the pictures I have seen of the Unissued bayonets which have been Cleaned (Including mine, Imperial) have had the black finish removed along with the Verdigris.
Unless someone's privy to the "museum cuator's restoration of antiquity techniqes & equipment", that black finish is coming off with the brass verdigris/corrossion. Probably not even adhered to the metal any more. I'll see when mine get here, cc hit for 2 unissued today. I'll be cleaning the green off, don't mind the brass, that will darken over time.
Old 08-10-2010, 12:39 PM

Also green "crud" removed with Hopp's #9, as posted by Eric . Leather Lube brings out the O.D. color on scabbord. Eric used CLP on blade. Mine looks "pristine".
Old 08-10-2010, 09:24 PM

Default green crud

mine, too, is just as others have described theirs. Green on the brass. The grips on the bayo sure look cheap and shiney. Guesss that is the way uncle Sam issued them. Very pleased with mine (non-issued).
Old 08-11-2010, 03:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by drboompa View Post
mine, too, is just as others have described theirs. Green on the brass. The grips on the bayo sure look cheap and shiney. Guesss that is the way uncle Sam issued them. Very pleased with mine (non-issued).
I bout spit my coffee out at "cheap and shiney"! The two unissued Imperials I received today are overall very tight, with nice black park, and razor sharp (slices paper, easily). the gripes are "shiney" but I don't think they look cheap. Certainly don't look cheap, mounted on the end of my HRA!