Go Back   CMP Forums > CMP Competitions > CMP Rules
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 10-15-2020, 09:11 PM

Default 308 M1 garand legal for Modern Military

Is the 308 chambered M1 Garand legal for CMP games Modern Military?
Old 10-16-2020, 09:39 AM

Well... There is a match for the M1 rifle--the CMP Garand Match and the .308 chambered M1 properly goes into the Unlimited class within that match. As for the Modern Military Match, the M1 does not appear on the (modern military) weight limit list and generally is not fired in that match. However, there have been ad hoc rulings at regional games matches and some questions regarding the use of M1s in MM. The rules for MM do not seem to exclude their use.....but they are notably absent in the weight table. It would be nice if the rules were crystal clear on this subject but they are not. A question could be directed to the CMP Competition Director if you wish. I advise making a copy of the reply based on past experiences. Good Shooting. ....
Old 10-18-2020, 10:39 PM

Thumbs up

Yes, the question was asked directly to Mr. Johnson several years ago at the Eastern Games. A non match conditioned, standard contour 308 GI barreled M1 is legal for use in MM match. Now, since then the unlimited class has been added. It would be helpful if the CMP would update that info in the rule books. The BM59 is legal as well.
Old 06-14-2021, 07:56 AM

Modern Military Unlimited looks like a reasonable, but probably uncompetitive, place to shoot the Italian tipo 2 M1D garands chambered in 7.62 NATO.
Old 06-14-2021, 08:32 AM

The current rules for MM and MM unlimited greatly favor the AR15 types. A really good M14 or possibly M1 that is able to hold the ten ring in prones could be competitive since the GSVMM 30 round matches are won by offhand performance. In the real world, the ARs are nearly alone at the top. I still admire the spirit of those who shoot the iconic semi's from the last century and enjoy seeing them at matches. Good Shooting. ..
Old 06-21-2021, 04:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ceresco View Post
The current rules for MM and MM unlimited greatly favor the AR15 types. A really good M14 or possibly M1 that is able to hold the ten ring in prones could be competitive since the GSVMM 30 round matches are won by offhand performance. In the real world, the ARs are nearly alone at the top. I still admire the spirit of those who shoot the iconic semi's from the last century and enjoy seeing them at matches. Good Shooting. ..
As you say, a 'really good' M14 can do it. Thought I would have won Old Colony's MM this month with a 289-7 via my self built Bula in a USGI stock, but LOL no. A friend shot a 293-6 with a similar build on a JRA receiver. There were AR's with good scores in the mix. I have a 308 M1 that's very close in accuracy to the Bula M14, but I built the M1 as a National Match clone and it would only be Unlimited legal.

Last edited by Mountain; 06-21-2021 at 05:12 PM.