Go Back   CMP Forums > CMP Competitions > CMP Rules
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 04-23-2021, 01:38 PM

Default Garand barrel recrown/touch up crown against JCG "as issued" rules?

Just bought a service grade 6 mil Garand that seems to be correct from the CMP last weekend. ME 1/TE 2. Only issue is the crown has a nick on it. Doesn't seem to extend to the bore/rifling but it bothers me and looks serious enough to potentially affect accuracy. My local trusted gun smith says he can clean it up but my concern is would it bar me from JCG matches and also would it ruin the value of the rifle? I bought it to shoot but I would hate to do anything to ruin it's value. If it would be detrimental to the value, I would rather sell it and buy another to be a shooter.

Crown pic is towards the bottom: https://imgur.com/gallery/D8vMGT8
Old 04-23-2021, 02:48 PM

You would sell that rifle because of the tiny nick??? Other than telling you that recrowning will have no effect of being CMP legal, I have nothing to say. Good Shooting. ..
Old 04-23-2021, 03:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ceresco View Post
You would sell that rifle because of the tiny nick??? Other than telling you that recrowning will have no effect of being CMP legal, I have nothing to say. Good Shooting. ..
I would sell it if recrowning it would adversely affect it's value. It may be worth more to a collector than to me as a shooter which is my primary use/want.

Edit: I feel like if I want this rifle to be a shooter, I need to recrown it because of that nick (it's worse than the picture shows although it doesn't extend to the bore/rifling). My concern is if recrowning a correct 6 mil s/n (all original parts) is a dumb idea.

Last edited by Tcheeks38; 04-23-2021 at 03:12 PM.
Old 04-23-2021, 05:24 PM

Have you shot it?
Old 04-23-2021, 06:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cranehunter View Post
Have you shot it?
I agree!!!

I would not do anything till you shoot it and see how it does. It may not affect it shooting out to 600yds, it may not rear its ugly affect for longer distances. It might not hit a target at 100yds. But you wont know till you shoot it.

Eric

Sent from my LGL84VL using Tapatalk
Old 04-23-2021, 09:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SharpShooter82 View Post
I agree!!!

I would not do anything till you shoot it and see how it does. It may not affect it shooting out to 600yds, it may not rear its ugly affect for longer distances. It might not hit a target at 100yds. But you wont know till you shoot it.

Eric

Sent from my LGL84VL using Tapatalk
Try this link for a better view. https://imgur.com/a/EkskyFT right click it and open in new tab and it will be zoomed way in. Do you not think this will for sure affect accuracy at 100 yards and beyond? It looks pretty significant in person or I wouldn't be worried about it.

Sincerely,

T.J.
Old 04-24-2021, 08:35 AM

I agree that you need to shoot it to be sure. A recrown will not DQ it from CMP matches and if done right, won’t affect value.
CMP HP Master
DR#2474 (2019) 1/2 with irons, 1/2 with optics
Old 04-25-2021, 09:42 AM

Agreed it won't be a DQ for matches. Lots of Criterion and Kreiger barrels on the line at JCG matches across the country, so no worries about that crown.

Correct would mean that your M1 has the correct parts for when it was originally made, but a CMP SG that is partly or even mostly correct is still a mix-master from one or more rebuilds. Shoot it and have fun! A smith could probably give a little crown to it, just enough to clean up the ding. Other option would be to have a Criterion spun on and headspaced.

As others have said, shoot it first. CMP games are at 200 and a good score doesn't require F-class level accuracy.
Old 04-25-2021, 04:11 PM

As others have said:
1. Shoot it.
2. If it doesn't shoot well then consider a crown clean up.
3. No unless your guy #$%^ it up it won't affect value or disqualify you.
Old 04-25-2021, 06:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mountain View Post

Correct would mean that your M1 has the correct parts for when it was originally made, but a CMP SG that is partly or even mostly correct is still a mix-master from one or more rebuilds. Shoot it and have fun! A smith could probably give a little crown to it, just enough to clean up the ding. Other option would be to have a Criterion spun on and headspaced.
I did purchase this as a service grade 6 mil garand but according to the differences between service grade and correct ratings, a correct grade is listed as having no crown flaws and no gouges on tthe wood stock. Mine has all age appropriated parts for the s/N and has this crown ding and 2 very small gouges on the stock which in my opinion is the reason it was sold as a service grade with all correct parts rather than a correct grade.

Any thoughts?