Go Back   CMP Forums > CMP Sales > CMP Bolt Action Rifles
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 06-15-2021, 11:10 PM

Default Lightening M1903 Trigger

My M1903A1 Sniper/M1941 forgery’s trigger is too heavy; it holds 5 pounds. The Sniper Match rules say that the minimum is 2.5, but I’d be happy with 3.5 (3.75 really). Will changing the trigger spring, and possibly removing a coil help?

The gunsmith did a great job smoothing the trigger, but it is still too heavy and he doesn’t want to stone off the hardening. Any suggestions?

Thanks,
Jack
Old 06-16-2021, 06:53 AM

Well: it's pretty easy to adjust the spring and they don't cost much if you need to start over. Good Shooting. ..
Old 06-16-2021, 08:06 AM

Yes, reducing the length of the sear spring will lighten the trigger pull, however, it may also make the creep more noticeable. To reduce the creep, the sear would need to be stoned slightly.

Art
Old 06-16-2021, 09:37 AM

I did remove almost a coil from the sear spring on my low numbered SA 1903 that was converted to 22 rim fire. It provides an excellent trigger pull as I also installed a scope.

I don't think that I would do the same modification to a center fire 03 rifle but would rather try different parts to improve the trigger pull
Old 06-16-2021, 10:20 AM

Stoning is a pretty common part of improving triggers. However, if a gunsmith is concerned about it removing enough metal to affect the hardening then perhaps he is not the best gunsmith for this application?
In today's modern firearms how much hand fitting is performed? Ergo, not all gunsmiths are equal.
No slight against this gunsmith, but there are a handful of well known experts for trigger jobs, 1903, M1 Garand, M1911 work that aren't hard to find.
I use my local gunsmiths for items I can, but for my specialized milsurp work I am happy to find and use the services of an expert in that field.
Just how many 1903s needing trigger jobs show up at the local gunsmith these days? It's a specialized skill.

JH

Zvenoman's Feedback Thread
Old 06-16-2021, 11:43 AM

Be very, very careful removing turns from the sear spring. The sear spring holds the sear in position when the action is manipulated. If shortened too much, the sear can weaken or loosen and the rifle will become dangerous.

Stoning metal from the sear or cocking piece may very likely jam the safety lock and is not recommended.

J.B.

Last edited by John Beard; 06-17-2021 at 03:27 PM. Reason: Added "weaken" to describe dangerous sear operation with a shortened spring..
Old 06-17-2021, 02:48 AM
Super Moderator

Check out this thread.

"The trouble with most people is that they think with their hopes or fears or wishes rather than with their minds."--Will Durant