Go Back   CMP Forums > CMP Sales > Accessories
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 01-01-2010, 07:08 PM

Default M3 and M3A1 Combination tool

Can anyone tell me what PK stands for on the M1 combination tool?
Thanks.
Old 01-01-2010, 07:12 PM

See THE M3A1 COMBINATION TOOL (By BILL RICCA):

http://www.billricca.com/m3a1m.htm

http://www.billricca.com/m3a1_pg2.htm

Last edited by DDRode; 01-01-2010 at 07:24 PM.
Old 07-03-2010, 04:18 PM

Default M3A1 Combination Tool Instructions

I know this has to be out there somewhere but I have searched with no avail. I even have a thread on this subject bookmarked but it is no longer active.

Does anyone have the full instructions on the use of the M3A1 tool? Illustrations would be very helpful.

Shoot me if I'm missing something obvious.
Click Here For My Feedback

In honor of my father, Howard C. Ricks. Corporal, Co. E, 2nd Battalion, 20th Marine Engineers, 4th Marine Division. Later renamed Co. B, 4th Pioneer Battalion after Marianna Operation. Service dates February 1943 to October 31, 1945, Combat action: Roi-Namur, Saipan, Tinian and Iwo Jima. His rifle SA 893999 met "Captain Crunch".
http://wwiimemorial.com/Registry/pla...oreeID=1841138
Old 07-03-2010, 05:34 PM

There's a reference to a pdf manual down around post 7 in this thread.

http://www.thecmp.org/forums/showthread.php?t=2779

Hope that helps.
Old 07-03-2010, 06:05 PM

Thanks

I have seen all of that. Is there anything that shows it in actual use?

In honor of my father, Howard C. Ricks. Corporal, Co. E, 2nd Battalion, 20th Marine Engineers, 4th Marine Division. Later renamed Co. B, 4th Pioneer Battalion after Marianna Operation. Service dates February 1943 to October 31, 1945, Combat action: Roi-Namur, Saipan, Tinian and Iwo Jima. His rifle SA 893999 met "Captain Crunch".
Old 07-03-2010, 08:39 PM

You might have already seen this, but in the detail strip sections on the tech side of the CMP site, they show the combo tool being used for various tasks. It's not all in one place like you are looking for, but at least there are some photos illustrating (to varying degrees of clarity) how the tool is used for those tasks. Each one of the links below has a photo of the combo tool being used:

Page 2, Bolt Detail Strip
Page 3, Sight Detail Strip
Page 1, Trigger Group Detail Strip
Page 2, Trigger Group Detail Strip
Page 3, Trigger Group Detail Strip
Page 2, Gas System Detail Strip
Page 1, Clip Latch Detail Strip

If you can't find an all-in-one source, then you might at least be able to use the above to compile your own 2-3 page manual. Also, I haven't been able to find a definitive use for the semi-circular protrusion near the author's right thumb in the first photo on the Page 3, Sight Detail Strip page, but from examination of my own combo tool, it looks like it might be used to extract stuck cartridges.

Edit: Just looked in the Oct '51 version of FM 23-5 (which is downloadable from the thread SubSailor linked above) - that semi-circular protrusion is listed as a cartridge extractor. Also, if I hadn't just reassembled my M1 in the last couple of days (it's been a pile of parts for at least a month, dealing with op rod problems), I would be very tempted to take some photos and put together a little instruction guide for the M3A1.

Last edited by Torquemada; 07-03-2010 at 08:57 PM.
Old 07-04-2010, 02:34 PM

Torquemada,

That was a great help. I can't believe it was right under my nose.

I may have to eat crow about some of my comments with folks asking questions. I did, however, do an extensive search both here on the forum and Yahoo. My apologies.

Thanks

Old 07-04-2010, 03:06 PM

I'm just learning how handy that tool is, I've used it now to strip about (6) bolts, I resorted to using a punch to depress the ejector spring during reassembly, just worked better for me. However, I will try the alternative method using the tool next time now that I've seen it used. I don't see any reason to use a bolt tool when the combo tool works so well.
Old 07-04-2010, 08:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sigman2 View Post
Torquemada,

That was a great help. I can't believe it was right under my nose.

I may have to eat crow about some of my comments with folks asking questions. I did, however, do an extensive search both here on the forum and Yahoo. My apologies.

Thanks
You are more than welcome, and no need to apologize. I hope my post didn't come off as patronizing or condescending - that certainly wasn't my intent, although reading back over it myself now I kinda get that vibe from me.

The main reason I knew that it was in there was that I vividly remember using the combo tool to disassemble my bolt (and how easy it made bolt disassembly), and I knew I got the info from the CMP disassembly guide. I didn't recall seeing the combo tool used anywhere else in the disassembly guide, but just decided on a whim to give the guide a thorough search to see if they showed the combo tool in use anywhere else. I was honestly surprised to see that it turned up in as many places as it did.

I'll keep the combo tool instruction guide project in the back of my mind for the next time I am taking my Garand apart - maybe later on in the fall after I've put a fair number of rounds through her.
Old 07-04-2010, 10:14 PM

There's a great deal of variation in how best to use the M3A1 and its many tools. Just as the earlier FMs describe, the Guidebook for Marines Chapter 15 ('54 ed. I believe) found here describes using the blade rather than the extractor lifter (intended and best used for bolt disassembly with the bolt remaining in the receiver) to remove the extractor, and although the pictures don't match the captions (e.g. fig. 15.9), it's still a good example. FWIW, the ejector aligning notch on the rear of the spanner is perfect for depressing the ejector by hand during assembly, and is better than using the corresponding M10 ejector cut in my own experience, giving better control (much thanks to E-7's suggestions leading me to revisit the M3A1 tool's use). FrankD did some very nice photo tutorials on the old board for M3A1 & M10 tools (in receiver versions IIRC), perhaps he'll thrill us with a reprise!

Bill Ricca's handy nomenclature photo for your viewing pleasure....