Go Back   CMP Forums > CMP Competitions > CMP Rules
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 01-22-2022, 11:49 AM

Correct, emailing them and printing a copy of their response is a good approach. There is so much info on the website that I always have a hard time finding the page with the rulebooks, but it is located here:

https://thecmp.org/competitions/cmp-...ons-rulebooks/

Scroll down the page and there is an email link for rule interpretations from the CMP.
Old 01-23-2022, 12:17 AM

Exclamation

It has been my experience at the Eastern Games & New England Games at rifle inspection that with the M14/M1A type rifle they check weight, trigger pull, barrel & sights. In order to shoot MM standard B class the rifle has to be as close to as issued as possible and make weight. A loaded SAI. M1A package with medium weight barrel will get you bumped to unlimited every time, watched it happen more than once.

If you are looking to stay in B class you really need to start of with a standard barrel ( GI profile ) walnut stocked M1A and at that you will need to watch weight. Not all commercial and GI stocks are the same, As Ceresco stated you may need to switch out stocks in order to make weight. MM is a tangled web of rules ... Isn't it fun !!
Hope this helps
Old 01-23-2022, 12:37 AM

Headspace: thank you for your personalized reply. Very helpful. Makes me think I am going to see how this new CMP Special Rack Grade M1 Garand with a new Criterion Bbl shoots and maybe just stick with the old tried and true.

Last edited by bls72bmw; 01-23-2022 at 12:48 AM.
Old 01-23-2022, 12:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bls72bmw View Post
Headspace: thank you for your personalized reply. Very helpful. Makes me think I am going to see how this new CMP Special Rack Grade M1 Garand with a new Criterion Bbl shoots and maybe just stick with the old tried and true.
bls72bmw, Don't let the MM rules get you frazzled. We've all been there. We lose sight of the fact this is a fun sport. Most local club run CMP matches are relaxed and its a "run what you brung" mentality. Shoot your Garand-M1A and practice the fundamentals it all applies !

Last edited by Headspace; 01-23-2022 at 12:46 PM.
Old 01-23-2022, 02:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Headspace View Post
bls72bmw, Don't let the MM rules get you frazzled. We've all been there. We lose sight of the fact this is a fun sport. Most local club run CMP matches are relaxed and its a "run what you brung" mentality. Shoot your Garand-M1A and practice the fundamentals it all applies !
This !
I run my club's sanctioned GSM matches. We follow the current CMP rules, but some things are not scrutinized like they are when participating in a CMP run event.
Our top priority is bringing new shooters to the line and growing strong attendance. Safety, and having a good time are paramount.
Most guys will check Unlimited MM if they know they should.

VFW Patriots Circle Member
NRA Life Member
PMRPC - CMP/GSM Rifle Match Chairman
GSM Master Instructor

Last edited by Craftsman; 01-23-2022 at 02:22 PM.
Old 01-23-2022, 04:26 PM

CMP currently allows free float handguards on the MM 7.5 pound AR15. This results in a rifle that is pretty hard to beat. With the old clamshell handguards and sling attachment, the AR wasn't better than a M14. While offhand is still the deciding factor, my opinion is the AR gains 4 or 5 points over most M14s in the prones. The AR got a nice boost with the new rules while 14s are getting bumped to unlimited for insignificant ounces. Not fair. Good Shooting. .....
Old 01-28-2022, 10:54 PM
Super Moderator

As long as the AR/M16-type is in MM, the M14 and its contemporaries should be in the same class as the M1. Alternatively, the AR/M16 and contemporaries should be in a separate class. "Modern" is really a poor word to use for classifying things. Colloquially, it means what is current or recent. But in musicology, it means 1890 to 1945. The M14 and its contemporaries really are post-WWII and "modern" started with the M16.

"The trouble with most people is that they think with their hopes or fears or wishes rather than with their minds."--Will Durant
Old 01-29-2022, 06:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bls72bmw View Post
Without sling and mag it's at 9lbs 15.6oz.

What is the process to get a clarification from the CMP. What email address does one use, so if you go to a match you can show it to the director? I doubt anyone at a local match is going to log onto the forum and then make a decision based on what someone said here in a forum post.
competitions@thecmp.org

You are 0.6 lbs over the weight limit of 9.4 lbs, not close enough I'm sure.
Old 01-29-2022, 08:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GGaskill View Post
As long as the AR/M16-type is in MM, the M14 and its contemporaries should be in the same class as the M1. Alternatively, the AR/M16 and contemporaries should be in a separate class. "Modern" is really a poor word to use for classifying things. Colloquially, it means what is current or recent. But in musicology, it means 1890 to 1945. The M14 and its contemporaries really are post-WWII and "modern" started with the M16.
Do they not score the class A (AR-based rifles) separately from the class B (M14 etc) rifles in MM? I assumed they were scored separately but havenít read the rules closely enough to know for sure.
Old 01-29-2022, 09:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by martindc1 View Post
Do they not score the class A (AR-based rifles) separately from the class B (M14 etc) rifles in MM? I assumed they were scored separately but haven’t read the rules closely enough to know for sure.
Only 2 scoring categories for MM, as issued or unlimited, applies equally to all rifle types

VFW Patriots Circle Member
NRA Life Member
PMRPC - CMP/GSM Rifle Match Chairman
GSM Master Instructor