Go Back   CMP Forums > CMP Sales > M1 Garand
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 01-21-2022, 06:34 PM

Greyhound is good. Felt like you are on the bridge of a destroyer.
Old 01-21-2022, 10:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oogie View Post
Band of Brothers, The Pacific, Saving Private Ryan in that order. All fantastic.
Exactly!
Old 01-22-2022, 07:31 AM

I'm still a fan of The Big Red One ( I just ignored the blank adapters). I never missed it when it came on tv.
Old 01-22-2022, 09:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rbgonoles View Post
Greyhound is good. Felt like you are on the bridge of a destroyer.
I enjoyed Greyhound. My grandfather was an officer in the Merchant Marines and made many trips to England and Russia during the war. He had many close calls and saw other ships sunk around his, but he made it through and even wrote a book about it!
Old 01-23-2022, 12:19 AM

I like all the above the only problem I have is with the "sex" scenes. I know it's all part of the reality but they don't have to be so graphic.
Old 01-23-2022, 01:17 AM

There are some good Garand scenes in When Trumpets Fade also.
Old 01-23-2022, 09:18 AM

Don’t forget the M1’s starring role in Eastwood’s Gran Torino.

GET OFF MY LAWN!

Last edited by M1Rifleman; 01-23-2022 at 10:33 AM.
Old 01-23-2022, 09:28 AM

A few years ago my Son got me the DVD box set that has both Band of Brothers and the Pacific. I try and find time to binge watch each series every year. IMO it shows the difference in the US strategy used for the European and the Pacific theater and also reaffirms the reasoning behind the decision to drop the bombs in the Pacific theater to end the war in Japan.

Saving Private Ryan is the best WW2 movie made IMO.

I also have to put We Were Soldiers up there with one of the best War movies ever made. Although it technically isnít the start of the Vietnam War it is the start of the US taking control of the fighting in Vietnam and a change in tactics of war with the expanded use of helicopters for battle among other changes.

My Grandfather was in a tank company that went through N Africa and into Italy and beyond in WW2. I also would like to see something US made through this path to the war in Europe.

Iím also a big WW1 junky. There are only a handful of US made movies and documentaries centering on WW1. I would love to see a US movie focusing on the events and trials (training,recruiting and preparedness) of the US entering the war. If anyone has any tips on US made movies about WW1 available I would be very interested. I have watched The Lost Battalion which I thought was very good and 1917 not bad but not a US movie
Old 01-23-2022, 09:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chas100 View Post
Iím also a big WW1 junky. There are only a handful of US made movies and documentaries centering on WW1. I would love to see a US movie focusing on the events and trials (training,recruiting and preparedness) of the US entering the war. If anyone has any tips on US made movies about WW1 available I would be very interested. I have watched The Lost Battalion which I thought was very good and 1917 not bad but not a US movie
I think "All Quiet on the Western Front" starring Richard Thomas was a very good WW1 movie.
Old 01-23-2022, 10:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ronwall View Post
I think "All Quiet on the Western Front" starring Richard Thomas was a very good WW1 movie.
Thank You Ron !! That was one on my radar a while ago and I couldnít find it anywhere. Iíll have to revisit looking for it. There are a few movies available on Netflix and Prime but most have very little if any information showing the US involvement in the war.