Go Back   CMP Forums > CMP Sales > CMP 1911
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 01-20-2022, 05:41 PM

Donít scrub the rust off!!

There is a thread here about rust removal. It has a link to a YouTube video of Anvil. He shows how to boil parts to soften rust so it comes off with a toothbrush or 0000 de-oiled steel wool. I have used this method on parkerized 1903 and Garand parts and found it works impressively easy with no damage of the finish.
Old 01-20-2022, 09:23 PM

From the pictures it looks like rust but it does not appear to be pitted. The boiling water to soften the rust sounds promising and would certainly be worth a try. Your pistol without the spots would be a service grade pistol, it looks really good.
Old 01-20-2022, 09:40 PM

Thank you all for the input. Will start out with the easiest first and then work my way up the more time intensive options. I am very glad to have received this particular pistol and hope my post in no way made it seem like I didnít. And yes, Nate, that was my thought on it also, as the overall fit and finish are pristine except for that one factor of the spots. If they end up not being removable it wonít bother me, as my main concern is to make sure that it isnít rust which would negatively impact the pistol over time, and itís my hope that my 2 sons will inherit it along with the carbine and garand that Iíve collected. If you are reading this and are still waiting on your RGN to be called, keep being patient, as the wait is well worth it for these fine examples of history.
Old 01-21-2022, 05:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bml View Post
donít scrub the rust off!!

There is a thread here about rust removal. It has a link to a youtube video of anvil. He shows how to boil parts to soften rust so it comes off with a toothbrush or 0000 de-oiled steel wool. I have used this method on parkerized 1903 and garand parts and found it works impressively easy with no damage of the finish.
THIS! :gs:
Old 01-21-2022, 06:43 AM

It is rust, or rather rust stains in the finish. Problem is, to remove it you will also remove the protective parkerized finish. I have a few small spots on my pistol as well and have tried all the suggestions posted here and more. These spots will not come off as they are stains, not crusty active rust. Keep it well oiled and it won't get any worse. If it bugs you, it will need to be blasted back to bare metal and reparked. Scrubbing with brass wool, brass brushes, erasers, etc will buff and damage the oil holding properties of the parkerized finish - then you will more than likely have to deal with rusting.
Old 01-21-2022, 09:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fenris_Bane View Post
If it is rust, then the "protective parkerized finish" has failed and allowed the surface to start rusting.
It sounds like you are knowledgeable on the types of finishings for metal protection, but your quote above is misleading to anyone reading this post. A parkerized finish provides no protection whatsoever against the metal below rusting. It is simply a finish designed to hold oil in place better than bare metal. It is the oil that protects against rusting, not the finish. Therefore your statement the parkerized finish failed and therefore allowed the surface to rust is misleading at best.

Take a freshly parked pistol with no oil out in a high humidity environment and it will rust just as quickly as one without the finish.

My point was the OPs pistol was poorly maintained and hence the rust spots. Scratching or buffing the remaining parkerized finish now will hurt more than help. Either keep it oiled moving forward and live with the spots, or get it properly refinished and keep it oiled after that.
Old 01-21-2022, 01:08 PM

Denatured alcohol and a soft cotton rag then re-oil.
Old 01-21-2022, 01:44 PM

Iíve had good results using a soft brass strip as a scraper & Hoppes #9. Brass wonít scratch parkerized finish & Hoppes will remove any brass marks.
Old 01-21-2022, 06:29 PM

Try acetone first, it looks like dried grease to me.
Old 01-23-2022, 07:49 AM

Ah yes, complete disagreement as usual.